Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The greatest film ever made. *Updated!*.

View Poll Results: What would you rate Babel?
Poll Options:
1 20 votes (46.51%)
2 1 votes (2.33%)
3 4 votes (9.30%)
4 2 votes (4.65%)
5 1 votes (2.33%)
6 3 votes (6.98%)
7 4 votes (9.30%)
8 5 votes (11.63%)
9 2 votes (4.65%)
10 1 votes (2.33%)
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll
The greatest film ever made. *Updated!*. (Page 3)
olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
Seriously I tried to watch firefly a couple of times after reading about on macnn. Unfortunately I think I was late in trying; it did not make much sense to me. Maybe I will try it from the first episode on DVD some day. I do like sci-fi.
Serenity is a good crash course to the characters and the background story, but it's also a major spoiler since it's a continuation of the story after the 1st season.

It's important to watch Firefly in the intended order, not the air date. So if you buy/rent the DVDs, watch the discs (and episodes) in the order they're in the DVD box.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2007, 05:59 PM

It seems like MacGeekyboy said that he really liked the movie, stated that it was the greatest film ever made, and we disagreed with him on it.

Then he continued to say that someone who enjoys Rap cannot have the cranial capacity to enjoy/appreciate Classical music as well.....
.....uh oh... someone is being prejudice and small minded......

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 6, 2007, 07:47 PM

Wrong, his mind is simply to large for us.

Excuse me while I put in my Dr Dre Chronic 2001 CD and watch Scorsese films.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 6, 2007, 08:24 PM

I wonder if the kid believes he's smarter than most of us (on MacNN).

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 01:12 AM

Speaking for myself only...he probably is.

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
It seems like MacGeekyboy said that he really liked the movie, stated that it was the greatest film ever made, and we disagreed with him on it.

Then he continued to say that someone who enjoys Rap cannot have the cranial capacity to enjoy/appreciate Classical music as well.....
.....uh oh... someone is being prejudice and small minded......
I meant that there are people out there who like rap and don't like classical. These are the same type of people who like Scorsese and not Inarritu.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 03:11 AM

Isn't it past your bedtime?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 03:42 AM

Babel is not much more than mediocre cinema at best. It's a highly derivative work, largely patterned after the motif of Crash. Its plot is disjointed, confused and unrealistic. I was rooting for the maid and the children to die, along with the annoying mother AND the future terrorist brothers, which is an emotional reaction I assume the director wasn't going for. Babel is Sundance grade filmmaking; that's not a compliment.

(Have I made him cry yet?)

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Babel is not much more than mediocre cinema at best. It's a highly derivative work, largely patterned after the motif of Crash. Its plot is disjointed, confused and unrealistic. I was rooting for the maid and the children to die, along with the annoying mother AND the future terrorist brothers, which is an emotional reaction I assume the director wasn't going for. Babel is Sundance grade filmmaking; that's not a compliment.

(Have I made him cry yet?)
I'm not physically crying. But inside my head, I am crying for you. I pity you to no end. I wish you could experience what I experience, and understand what I understand. I cry because I see before me a ruined, dumbed down being.

And I don't mean any of this as a personal attack. This is just how I feel when I read your post.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by macgeek2005 View Post
I'm not physically crying. But inside my head, I am crying for you. I pity you to no end. I wish you could experience what I experience, and understand what I understand. I cry because I see before me a ruined, dumbed down being.
You know, geek, you actually brought a smile to my face. Thank you.

Man, don't you know that opinions on films differ? I'm not going to attack you personally and call you the adjectives you call others simply because you happen to have poor taste in cinema from my subjective point of view. We're not even discussing anything remotely controversial or significant like politics or religion, and you're going bonkers. You need to gain a little bit of perspective beyond your provincial existence. Perhaps that will come with age for you.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 04:39 AM

This thread reminds me of an old quote;
When you argue with idiot, it hard to tell who is idiot.
(Ok, I don't know how old it is, an old chinese guy said it in a movie…)
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton
Oh GOD. I am so sick of this "let's put the scenes all out of order to make it artistic" crap. It worked in Pulp Fiction, it was cute in Memento, but it's not something that should be "catching on." Films are supposed to be "linear." Reality is "linear." Things all happen in the order they happen. Movies certainly shouldn't be criticized for not doing that, and if you think the only way for the audience to "get" how creative you are is to deliberately confuse the plot by scrambling it, you're not all that creative after all.
I couldn't agree more. Pretentious bastards trying to be clever by releasing non-linear or reverse-linear movies should be shot in the head for their stupidity. It's like nobody has any new ideas anymore, all they do is take the same old motifs and leave the editing to a bunch of monkeys.

As for that 100-greatest-films-ever list, I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would include E.T. E.T. was nothing but a stupid tear-jerking piece of idiocy. Fuck, if they put E.T. in there, why aren't Bambi and Love Story in there, as well? They're just as soppy.

Well, anyway, I went through that list and have decided on the best film of all time:

Броненосец Потёмкин

2001 comes second, Солярис comes third.

(And I haven't even seen Солярис, just the Clooney version which I'm reliably informed is inferior.)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 08:01 AM

You care enough to type out the name in Cyrillic but you haven't seen the film? How do you know it's so great?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
You care enough to type out the name in Cyrillic but you haven't seen the film? How do you know it's so great?
I doubt he typed it in Cyrillic, rather just copied the titles from IMDB in a good effort to come off as pretentious (as witnessed by the fact that he hasn't even seen Solaris).

FYI, Battleship Potemkin is good if you are studying film (great period piece, amazing, innovative and important milestone of film-making), but not a film I would sit down and watch on a Saturday night.

Now Citizen Kane however …

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 08:29 AM

What the hell is pretentious about typing the titles in Cyrillic? It's the language the films were made in, why would I use transliteration?

And screw Citizen Kane, apart from the cinematography, it was useless.

Tiresias
Mar 7, 2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
I doubt he typed it in Cyrillic, rather just copied the titles from IMDB in a good effort to come off as pretentious
No one tires to come off as pretentious.

It's when people try to be more cultured than they are that they appear pretentious.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 09:15 AM

And I don't mean any of this as a personal attack. This is just how I feel when I read your post.
TRANSLATION
I, am Emo.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
TRANSLATION

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Seconded.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:10 AM

TRANSLATION
No, that translation is incorrect.

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 10:12 AM

No, that translation is incorrect.
Oops, my mistake.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:20 AM

I meant that there are people out there who like rap and don't like classical. These are the same type of people who like Scorsese and not Inarritu.
So, are you saying that people who like Rap are unable to like Inarritu? Isn't this just a baseless generalization saying that someone who enjoys rap is unable to get the magnificent cinema that is Babel? I think you should stop casting these broad nets, MG2K5.

Also, this is now starting to sound like an argument similar for converting people to your religion: "Hey, everyone is entitled to their own religion/opinion, it is just sad because I know my religion/opinion is better. They're the one who's going to hell/never going to know how amazing Two and a Half Men is, while I have the true enlightenment/enjoyment"

Furthermore, are you saying that someone who does not like Babel is not able to truly enjoy film because they are a "dumbed down human?"
( Last edited by Nebagakid; Mar 7, 2007 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Sass)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 10:28 AM

Actually, this is the greatest film ever made: YouTube - The Skateboard Kid Theatrical Trailer

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 10:32 AM

Oops, my mistake.
TRANSLATION
I am patronizing you.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 10:46 AM

It's wonderful that people are ruined because they don't like one movie.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 10:49 AM

I find it funny when people attempt to rank movies.

How can you compare something like Crash with The Deer Hunter with Citizen Kane?

P.S. I thought Crash wasn't nearly as good as people make it out to be. Was it good? Absolutely... but I've seen it thrown around that it was the best movie ever... and I can't help but laugh.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2007, 10:53 AM

I don't think it is possible to say there is a greatest movie ever. I mean, there are incredibly influential films, and those that use cinematic elements incredibly well (such as Citizen Kane), but it is hard to say, definitively, this is the best movie out there. It just isn't possible. Even on a top 100 list, it might not be possible. If the world was going to explode, and we could only take 1,000 films with us, then you might be getting to the smallest number of films one could categorize as the best.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
It's wonderful that people are ruined because they don't like one movie.
I didn't like Cinema Paradiso, and now I often wonder why I go on living this hollow shell of a life.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

andi*pandi
Mar 7, 2007, 11:44 AM

because you are too stupid to know any better? me too.

::wanders off to rent Breakfast Club::

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 12:28 PM

Breakfast Club was cool.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 12:34 PM

Why isn't Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo on that 100 list?!?! I want answers! And I want them now!

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Breakfast Club was cool.
I imagine that if it had been made today, it would have been made into the Meal Trilogy, with the sequels Lunch and Dinner Club.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 01:20 PM

I imagine that if it had been made today, it would have been made into the Meal Trilogy, with the sequels Lunch and Dinner Club.
Directed by Peter Jackson and cost $6 billion. He'd f**k it up by casting Jaleel White as John Bender, and Paris Hilton as Claire.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 01:23 PM

Hey its the guy who hates Peter Jackson. Fantastic.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 03:07 PM

I love that half the voters rated it as a 1.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 04:13 PM

TRANSLATION

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 04:38 PM

What I say in online forums has NOTHING to do with how I really am or who I really am. I am a perfectly normal guy. I have no mental problems what so ever. And I 100% understand why you guys think of me the way you do. That is how I sound, and I don't know why I say stuff like that, but this is the truth i'm telling you now. I don't deny that everything i've said is completely out there, and makes me sound like I need a therapist, but please, believe me. It's just how I sound online.
Why do you think that is?

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
Mar 7, 2007, 05:19 PM

Airplane isn't on either of those lists. WTF?

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2007, 05:20 PM

Surely you can't be serious.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 05:30 PM

He is serious, and quit calling him Shirley.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
He is serious, and quit calling him Shirley.
Speaking of Shirley, where is Fiddler on the Roof?

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 7, 2007, 06:50 PM

Ever seen a grown man naked?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2007, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Ever seen a grown man naked?
Funniest perv line ever!

Tiresias
Mar 7, 2007, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman View Post
Actually, this is the greatest film ever made: YouTube - The Skateboard Kid Theatrical Trailer
"Catch the magic!"

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 07:54 PM

This thread is now about Airplane the movie quotes:

Ted Striker: My orders came through. My squadron ships out tomorrow. We're bombing the storage depots at Daiquiri at 1800 hours. We're coming in from the north, below their radar.
Elaine Dickinson: When will you be back?
Ted Striker: I can't tell you that. It's classified.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2007, 08:53 PM

We better think of something fast, or the **** hits the fan.

Railroader
Banned
Mar 7, 2007, 09:38 PM

Here's one that's poignant for the 'NN:

Reporter: What kind of plane is it?
Johnny: Oh, it's a big pretty white plane with red stripes, curtains in the windows and wheels and it just looks like a big Tylenol.

macgeek2005  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2007, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nebagakid View Post
So, are you saying that people who like Rap are unable to like Inarritu? Isn't this just a baseless generalization saying that someone who enjoys rap is unable to get the magnificent cinema that is Babel? I think you should stop casting these broad nets, MG2K5.

Also, this is now starting to sound like an argument similar for converting people to your religion: "Hey, everyone is entitled to their own religion/opinion, it is just sad because I know my religion/opinion is better. They're the one who's going to hell/never going to know how amazing Two and a Half Men is, while I have the true enlightenment/enjoyment"

Furthermore, are you saying that someone who does not like Babel is not able to truly enjoy film because they are a "dumbed down human?"
No. That is not what i'm saying. I'm making a comparison. I'm not saying those that like Rap won't like Babel. I'm saying that liking Rap and not liking classical is the same as liking The Departed and not liking Babel. Parallel analogy.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 12:22 AM

No. That is not what i'm saying. I'm making a comparison. I'm not saying those that like Rap won't like Babel. I'm saying that liking Rap and not liking classical is the same as liking The Departed and not liking Babel. Parallel analogy.
I like some rap. I like most classical. I really like The Departed. Didn't really enjoy Babel so much.

Strange, based on my experience, it would seem that Babel should be in the category with rap while The Departed should be in the category with classical.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 8, 2007, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
"Catch the magic!"
I have it on DVD if you're interested.

Forum Links
Forum Rules