Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Best way to output HDTV from my G5?

Best way to output HDTV from my G5?
zerostar
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 09:57 AM

So I started a thread here: http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...mini-hd-users/

I guess no one has experience, but perhaps this someone will know.

I have a Quad G5 2 rooms away from my HDTV, now with the TVmini HD product I will have a lot of HD in MPEG2 format stored on an internal drive.

What are my options for getting this output to my TV? Obviously being far away from the TV can be a problem, but what I am looking for is a way to get this output without having to re-convert the video. Basically if I start recording LOST at 10 and am ready to start watching at 10:30 what would be the best way to get this ouput, my TV has HDMI/component and DVI of some sort...

thanks

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 10:38 AM

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by zerostar View Post
Basically if I start recording LOST at 10 and am ready to start watching at 10:30 what would be the best way to get this ouput
I would suggest starting to watch LOST earlier, considering each episode is 42 minutes in length, that leaves 18 minutes of commercials. So, to be able to watch an episode of television and fast forward through the commercials, you should start watching at 10 18 to catch up.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 11:32 AM

This [DivX Direct Download], this (Apple Script Media Link File Converter), and this (AppleTV)

You may need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (available in the Apple Store) for it to work, though. Since, the MPEG-2 video format isn't supported as standard. The reason I linked you to the DivX codec there, is simply for any other video formats (such as AVI) you may want to play.

But, as a general rule, if it'll play in QuickTime, it'll play in iTunes. And, if it'll play in iTunes, then this method should work a treat.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
( Last edited by onlyone-jc; Mar 18, 2007 at 03:52 PM. )

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by onlyone-jc View Post
This, this, and this
I think that stuff would work, but I think he was talking about being able to watch it in real time, just trying to figure out how to use his HDTV like a display, right?

Well, you just need some way to get the DVI-out from the G5 to whatever your HDTV has going in. Sometimes they both have DVI, but they are not the right kinds of DVI ( type I versus E)

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 02:23 PM

This, this, and this

You may need the QuickTime MPEG-2 Playback Component (available in the Apple Store) for it to work, though. Since, the MPEG-2 video format isn't supported as standard. The reason I linked you to the DivX codec there, is simply for any other video formats (such as AVI) you may want to play.

But, as a general rule, if it'll play in QuickTime, it'll play in iTunes. And, if it'll play in iTunes, then this method should work a treat.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
Please don't like downloadable files man, not cool.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Please don't like downloadable files man, not cool.
Well, I'm sorry to have upset you, sire.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2007, 03:11 PM

I have a Quad G5 2 rooms away from my HDTV, now with the TVmini HD product I will have a lot of HD in MPEG2 format stored on an internal drive.
Apple TV would be your best option. Of course the problem is your content is in MP2.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 03:41 PM

Well, I'm sorry to have upset you, sire.
Don't be a douche, I'm just saying I'm sure nobody likes clicking on a link to have random software download. I understand why you linked it, but maybe you could have linked to the page so people can decide whether or not they want to download it. A link saying "THIS" is not saying "click on this and software will download."

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
Don't be a douche, I'm just saying I'm sure nobody likes clicking on a link to have random software download. I understand why you linked it, but maybe you could have linked to the page so people can decide whether or not they want to download it. A link saying "THIS" is not saying "click on this and software will download."
I understand, I apologise. I have changed the link to be more informative. Maybe you can edit your quotations of it, so that people are aware of it within these, too.

onlyone-jc.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Apple TV would be your best option. Of course the problem is your content is in MP2.
Except then you can't watch in real time.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 06:31 PM

Well the fiber DVI gimo looks good but very pricey, so I think that is out for now. Looking into the Apple TV as I had stated before but then I loose the whole "real time" thing, that may be the price I have to pay for convenience and easy setup though, plus I will have to re-encode so I will keep looking for now.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 18, 2007, 06:59 PM

plus I will have to re-encode so I will keep looking for now.
You shouldn't haven't to re-encode at all, if you follow my post above.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

jebjeb
Senior User
Mar 18, 2007, 07:12 PM

If one part of your problem is getting DVI from the Quad to your LCD in another room, why not just get a long DVI/HDMI cable?

I am running a 15 m cable between a mac mini and my LCD and it is fine.

Am I missing something here?

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 09:03 PM

So the Apple TV will take my MPEG2 files?I do have the MPEG codec and the files do play in quicktime. I guess when I start hearing Apple TV experiences this will be much clearer to me.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by jebjeb View Post
I am running a 15 m cable between a mac mini and my LCD and it is fine.
What do you do for audio?I could use optical out but don't have any inputs left and don't want to keep switching stuff out, DVI to HDMI is a good idea though and may just work if I can route it through my wall.

It seems a 40" cable and 40" toslink plus the headache would be more than an Apple TV so that may be the smarter choice since I already have the gigabit port behind the TV.

himself
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 09:29 PM

What you're asking for is not gonna come cheap, outside of rigging something up with TV or some similar consumer device.
Prices for high-quality, high-bandwidth cabling does get ridiculous.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2007, 09:40 PM

MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 18, 2007, 09:49 PM

For $600 you could buy a new Mini (or a couple mini G4s) to keep near the TV and transfer stuff from your G5 to that over gigabit.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 03:50 AM

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
Um no. Adding MPEG2 support to your local machine will not add MPEG2 support to the Apple TV. The Apple TV does the decoding on it's end, not on your computer's end.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by himself View Post
What you're asking for is not gonna come cheap, outside of rigging something up with TV or some similar consumer device.
Prices for high-quality, high-bandwidth cabling does get ridiculous.
Yes looking at all the options I am going to go with an Apple TV or similar device. I am waiting for the reviews. At least with EyeTV I can still record all the Discovery HD goodness and watch it later bwahaha

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 08:43 AM

Just suck it up and get the Tivo S3 already. I tried to figure out how to do something similar using the EyeTV Hybrid but came to the conculsion it would just be a half baked solution. People complained the S3 was expensive when it came out. With Costco selling it for $600, I don't think those arguments are valid anymore. The closets thing your going get to a real DVR capabilites is to add a Mac mini which is going to be more expensive, you'll be stuck with a single HD tuner and smaller hard drive. As good as the EyeTV software is, it doesn't hold a candle to the Tivo interface.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 10:47 AM

Well my main problem with the S3 is that I have DirecTV for 2 more years... so my comcast is free so I use that for HDTV and was just looking for a little recording/shifting capability which I have now.

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:20 AM

Well my main problem with the S3 is that I have DirecTV for 2 more years... so my comcast is free so I use that for HDTV and was just looking for a little recording/shifting capability which I have now.
The S3 works with CableCard. How did you get free HD cable with Comcast? They told me I had to buy a $60 digital cable package before I could even HD add on.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
The S3 works with CableCard. How did you get free HD cable with Comcast? They told me I had to buy a $60 digital cable package before I could even HD add on.
I get free HD with Comcast. Comcast broadcasts all local digital channels for free, as mandated by Federal Law. They will play dumb and tell you otherwise, but it's Federal Law, they have to do it. All you need is a digital tuner on your end, which most TV's come with.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 11:27 AM

Even with the Limited Basic package from Comcast, you will get the Over The Air channels in HD included.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 11:30 AM

I am aware of the cable card slots (and have read of the numerous problem and the new "push" problem that will be pooping up too. The cable cards don't help me with my DirecTV contract though. I would actually love a Hughes HR10-250 but when DirecTV goes to MPEG4 it will be useless, plus no locals on the sat feed with that tuner.

I get all the QAM channels (everything local, 4 or 5 ESPNs, Discovery, TNT, MusicHD, and 2 other new ones) over my basic cable line. Any TV with a QAM tuner will get at the minimum the local HD channels, that is required by FCC to be open QAM.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 11:32 AM

We all 3 said the same thing. LOL All Locals are QAM unencrypted and usually there are more unencrypted if you scan for them, I am sure one day Discovery HD will be encrypted (the one I really love to watch) but its been a few years now..

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 11:43 AM

I was aware of the local channels being available for free. I was just surprised you where getting Discovery, ESPN and TNT. I was under the impression you had to pay for those channels. I heard there were some issues with CableCard so I am just doing OTA with an anntena for the moment.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah I actually get 80 Digital Channels of which 30 are unscrambled. so yeah its good for now...

How about this thing: ThinkGeek :: Mvix Wireless HD Media Center
Seems like it will stream the HD to it so I can watch it live, I already have a wired jack so i'm good there, I am checking out the user manual now.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2007, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by kikkoman View Post
I was aware of the local channels being available for free. I was just surprised you where getting Discovery, ESPN and TNT. I was under the impression you had to pay for those channels. I heard there were some issues with CableCard so I am just doing OTA with an anntena for the moment.
Weird. Comcast must really love him.

kikkoman
Senior User
Mar 19, 2007, 12:03 PM

Weird. Comcast must really love him.
Huh? I'm not paying Comcast for anything other than my broadband connection.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2007, 04:52 PM

Same here.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 09:42 AM

So I found these:

HDMI Cables and DVI Cables from Blue Jeans Cable

a 50' DVI to HDMI is only $96 here. The quality looks sufficient. I am thinking of trying this now and running thru the walls if it works out. Will my 9800 XT be able to drive a 50' cable? How about audio, can I run RCA 50' or would It be better to run toslink if im going that far (only asking cause I don't have another toslink port)

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 22, 2007, 10:53 AM

Is that RCA, as in analogue (i.e. Phono)?, or RCA, as in digital (i.e. S/PDIF)? Because I wouldn't run an unbalanced analogue signal too far, especially through walls, where mains wiring likely resides. If it's digital (i.e. S/PDIF), you'll be pushing the upper limits of its specification, but you should be fine. If you don't have another Toslink port, then you obviously can't consider it.

Look [here] for your cables. They have very good prices.

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 10:58 AM

How do you plan on controlling the video, as in pause, play, next, etc? You can get the video far away but can you control it?

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 11:04 AM

Thanks for the tips. As far as control I was thinking a Wireless repeater, but the more I think about spending $$ the more I consider a Apple TV or Mini, I am really still thinking about all this.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 11:13 AM

eBay: Apple Mac Mini G4 1.25GHz 256mb 40gb OSX 10.4 No Accs (item 270102447586 end time Mar-24-07 22:34:19 PDT)
G4 Mac Mini, buy it now for $350, the bidding probably won't even go that high. You're spending a minimum of $130ish on cables alone, not to mention the hassle of running them and using a wireless repeater across a couple rooms. You can store whatever you want on the mini and stream stuff from the G5 over gigabit.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 11:18 AM

you think a G4 will be sufficient? I will be using my TVmini HD and the included remote with/eye TV. everything will be 720p or 1080i.... I will need to playback & record at the same time.

Does this have DVI and optical audio out?

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 22, 2007, 11:34 AM

This [DivX Direct Download], this (Apple Script Media Link File Converter), and this (AppleTV)

Good luck,
onlyone-jc.
Why do you assume the AppleTV will support all the things quicktime does.

ALONG with supporting installing something like perian?

This WILL NOT WORK.

It's like saying if you can get a video into iTunes it will play on an iPod… that software up there says nothing about making video work on an iPod, so why would it automatically play on an Apple TV?

-Owl

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 22, 2007, 11:38 AM

It does have DVI, and I thought it had optical out but it turns out just the Intel Minis do. Maybe this one would be better.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 22, 2007, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
It does have DVI, and I thought it had optical out but it turns out just the Intel Minis do. Maybe this one would be better.
Hmm, does it have digital coax? I guess spdif is what its called...

jebjeb
Senior User
Mar 22, 2007, 11:56 AM

I would do what I did and just get a Mac Mini. You have full control of things then. You can use your existing ethernet cable. You know you can play any formats etc.

Not sure about speed of machine though. I waited and got a DC 1.66 Intel Mini to make sure I could do HD. I had trouble confirming the suitablilty of a G4 Mini running HD so just spend the bit of extra cash and got something that I knew would work.

With 1GB of RAM, you should be good to go.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by OwlBoy View Post
Why do you assume the AppleTV will support all the things quicktime does.
I mis-interpreted the concept of AppleTV. I thought that anything in the iTunes library could be directly streamed/synchronised with it. But, it seems that the AppleTV unit has more to do with the decoding than I originally thought. It uses its own codecs, rather than the ones installed on the system it synchronises with, and I wasn't aware of this.

As a side note, it seems that AppleTV runs on a stripped down version of OS X, and indeed has a QuickTime application folder. This leads me to believe that it may be possible to install additional codecs on the AppleTV unit itself.

onlyone-jc.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 10:39 AM

Rogue Amoeba - Under The Microscope

AppleTV will work on standard (non-widescreen 480i) TVs with component inputs.
It will NOT play everything that iTunes can.
It does NOT use Quicktime to play files.

onlyone-jc
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 23, 2007, 10:57 AM

It must use some form of QuickTime codec to even be able to understand the format. Whether that be on the operating system partition of the hard drive inside the AppleTV, or on an independent ROM within the circuitry of the AppleTV, is another story.

It may not use the codecs on the remote computer it's synchronising with (as I originally thought it did), but, hardware or software, it has to have some form of codec/s to do what it does.

onlyone-jc.

zerostar  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 23, 2007, 11:05 AM

Seems like people are getting XviD's to play on it so it may just be a matter of time.. muahaha

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2007, 11:22 AM

Yeah that's not true. It does use QuickTime. If you mount the hard drive, you can see all the QuickTime guts and even install more QuickTime codecs.

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2007, 11:55 AM

Yeah that's not true. It does use QuickTime. If you mount the hard drive, you can see all the QuickTime guts and even install more QuickTime codecs.
:shrug:
Just parroting what I read.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2007, 12:18 PM

:shrug:
Just parroting what I read.
Nono. I'm not responding you, more like responding to the blog indirectly through your post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules