Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anybody else waiting for the new USB Keyboard?

Anybody else waiting for the new USB Keyboard?
Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 02:35 AM

I ordered mine last week. It was supposed to ship Aug 15-17. Yesterday I received an e-mail that it would be delayed because of high demand. The shipping date was shifted by two weeks to Aug 29! The Apple Store still shows shipping in 3-5 days this morning though. So what's the deal?

yikes600
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2007, 04:27 AM

I waited on my online order for about 5 days before canceling. My local Apple store got them in stock before my order ever shipped, so I'm typing on one right now. Yours probably has them already too.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2007, 04:48 AM

There are no Apple stores where I live.

nerd
Senior User
Aug 18, 2007, 03:32 PM

I got mine in yesterday, ground shipping and I ordered on the 10th. The Apple store here was telling me 3 weeks before they got theirs. I confirmed this was for the wired keyboard and not the Bluetooth one and they insisted it was 3 weeks for the wired one.

I like the keyboard but I might have to go back to my Microsoft Comfort Curve keyboard because my wrists are already starting to hurt. Sucks, I wish Apple would make an ergonomic keyboard.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 19, 2007, 02:16 AM

What a coincidence. A few hours after I started this thread I got an e-mail from Apple saying it's shipped. There's no carrier tracking number yet, but I guess I'll get that tomorrow. I'm wondering why they push ship dates out so far when they've obviously just got a minor delay. Playing it safe I guess.

AceWilfong
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2007, 03:12 AM

I hope so...ship date for mine is Oct 2. Damn!

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 19, 2007, 07:20 AM

I ordered mine last week and I just got notification that it shipped, the email included a tracking number. The shipping of the keyboard was faster then the 3-5 days which was the estimate.

On a side note, I also purchased iLife and that arrived 2 days after I ordered it, freaking fast especially because I chose the cheapest and presumably the slowest shipping method.

dohidied
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 06:19 PM

I ordered mine last week and got it today. Too bad I can't get the keys for dashboard and expose to work.

kenw
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 21, 2007, 07:11 PM

Same problem here. The function keys for brightness, Expose, and Dashboard do not work. The other function keys all work fine. I am plugged into a dual 2.5 GHz G5. This is after upgrading the keyboard software as per the instructions.
al_iMac 24"; al_MacBook 13"; MacPro

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2007, 07:27 PM

I got my keyboard looks great, I'm using it now. The key spacing is different and that's presenting some challenges since I'm a touch typist but overall its a great addition to my mac

jettyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2007, 10:38 PM

Has anyone that has a new keyboard actually gotten anything to work on the usb hubs? Nothing I plug in works, no iPod, no card reader, camera etc. A mouse is the only thing that works, but I use a Blue Tooth mouse anyway. Everything worked fine using the white keyboard, now all I get is the "low power warning"

As a side note all my keys work fine. I'm running 10.4.10 on a G5 PPC, and did the keyboard update.
`A`ohe pau ka `ike i ka h�lau ho`ok�hi.
All knowledge is not taught in one school.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 07:12 AM

Got mine within a day of ordering. And hubs are working quite fine.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 09:27 AM

Ah, finally I got it.

I'll have to test it thouroughly, but I already like the sound. None of this plastic click-clack. Just a solid clonk.

jettyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Randman View Post
Got mine within a day of ordering. And hubs are working quite fine.
Wow that's great. A couple of questions. What machine & OS are you running? Does it really work when you plug in an iPod, or camera?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by jettyboy View Post
Wow that's great. A couple of questions. What machine & OS are you running? Does it really work when you plug in an iPod, or camera?
I've tried a bluetooth USB dongle and a rev. 1 iPod Shuffle, both of which have worked fine. Flash drives also work fine. Wouldn't power a USB mini hard drive, but didn't expect it to.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 23, 2007, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by jettyboy View Post
MBP 17 and 10.4.10. Have my headphones and wireless trackball connected at the moment and both work fine. I did download the software update for it right away though. I'll try a camera and iPod later.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jettyboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2007, 08:58 PM

I reinstalled the software update, and flash drives, and card reader now works. Hooray.

Simon  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 24, 2007, 03:51 AM

Hooked up the new keyboard to my MBP. My 5G iPod didn't mount when I connected it to the keyboard. OS X gave me the low power warning. OSo obviously iTunes didn't "see" the iPod. OTOH the iPod did charge while it was plugged in. Go figure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules