Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to connect using Firewire Target mode to pc?

How to connect using Firewire Target mode to pc?
ucsbdude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 07:52 PM

Hi long long time reader first time poster. I have a Ti 550 with 10.2.1 and my friend has a sony PC tower with firewire and XP. I want to start the Ti up in firewire target disk mode and plug into the pc running xp and have it show up so i can file transfer large files. What do I need to install on the PC? I have tried the demo of MacDrive 2000 but it does not install on windows xp. What can I do? Can it be done?

Thank you! I love reading these forums!

ucsbdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 08:14 PM

I see that there is Mac drive 5 has any one tried this? Does it work with a mace in firewire targed mode? It should work right ? seeing as how it is just a firewire hard drive? Thanks guys!

curmi
Senior User
Sep 18, 2002, 08:57 PM

You need a driver so the PC can read HFS+ drives. Without that, even if you could mount it on the PC, you couldn't get to any of the files.

You might be better off doing it the other way around, with the PC in target disk mode. Then again, the PC probably doesn't have such a thing...

ucsbdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 18, 2002, 11:36 PM

Am i really the only person that wants to do this?? Can no one help me out
oh well...

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 06:43 PM

They prolly have Ethernet too... why not just use that with Windows file sharing?

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

ucsbdude  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 10:04 PM

cause its slowwww ... i want to transfer gigs of stuff for video, firewire is soooooo much faster... cant anyone help?

Forum Links
Forum Rules