Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Okay this Bluetooth is cool

Okay this Bluetooth is cool
typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 04:03 PM

I got my Sony Ericsson T68i on Tuesday and I also got the bluetooth headset, Yesterday I bought the bluetooh adapter for my ibook. This is pretty cool. I was too lazy to put in all my phone so I synced it using bluetooth. the headset is pretty cool as well. First there are no wires to get in the way and second it works from a pretty good distance. So far I'm pretty impressed with my T68 and the bluetooth headset. Setting up Bluetooth on OS X was a piece of cake.

Sorry I just had to share my excitement.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 04:21 PM

there is no level of geeky quite like WIRELESS geeky.

when i hooked my airport up for the first time i started walking through my neighborhood surfing webpages to see how far i could walk and still get some kind of reception.

how far is the range?

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 04:26 PM

I agree, there is nothing like being able to deny a call by sending an sms that "you have to run upstairs and get your phone so you can call the person back"

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
there is no level of geeky quite like WIRELESS geeky.

when i hooked my airport up for the first time i started walking through my neighborhood surfing webpages to see how far i could walk and still get some kind of reception.

how far is the range?
I haven't done that yet. I thought I was geeky.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 04:39 PM

*sigh* wireless geekyness

oh well, there's always next year
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 04:47 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
*sigh* wireless geekyness

oh well, there's always next year
Whats worse is I had the computer on my Airport Browsing the internet while I was syncing my phone. that is wireless geekyness.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:03 PM

i sit in bed and skip around itunes, and watch dvds with my keysap remote and wireless mouse, very fun

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

agentz
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by typoon:
I got my Sony Ericsson T68i on Tuesday and I also got the bluetooth headset, Yesterday I bought the bluetooh adapter for my ibook. This is pretty cool. I was too lazy to put in all my phone so I synced it using bluetooth. the headset is pretty cool as well. First there are no wires to get in the way and second it works from a pretty good distance. So far I'm pretty impressed with my T68 and the bluetooth headset. Setting up Bluetooth on OS X was a piece of cake.

Sorry I just had to share my excitement.
Bluetooth is cool.

Got a question for you typoon... Can you get your phone to work with your Mac and headset at the same time - ie can you have your headset on, get a call coming in, your Mac telling you who it is, then click on the accept call button and take the call on your headset? The guy at the desk next to mine has a T68i, a D-Link bluetooth dongle, iBook running 10.2.4. He can get his iBook to sync to his phone fine. He can get his phone to work with any number of headsets but cannot get all three to work together.

No biggie, but the thing is this - a mate of ours who's an Apple manager came in a while back and was telling us that all of their mobile phones were supposed to be changing to T68i's and they were being equipped with headsets. The demo they saw at Apple UK HQ had all three devices working together - ie able to take a call without having to touch the phone at all.

Just wondering as this is something I'd really like to be able to do.
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:11 PM

Originally posted by agentz:
Bluetooth is cool.

Got a question for you typoon... Can you get your phone to work with your Mac and headset at the same time - ie can you have your headset on, get a call coming in, your Mac telling you who it is, then click on the accept call button and take the call on your headset? The guy at the desk next to mine has a T68i, a D-Link bluetooth dongle, iBook running 10.2.4. He can get his iBook to sync to his phone fine. He can get his phone to work with any number of headsets but cannot get all three to work together.

No biggie, but the thing is this - a mate of ours who's an Apple manager came in a while back and was telling us that all of their mobile phones were supposed to be changing to T68i's and they were being equipped with headsets. The demo they saw at Apple UK HQ had all three devices working together - ie able to take a call without having to touch the phone at all.

Just wondering as this is something I'd really like to be able to do.
Dunno haven't tried it yet. I will, when I do I'll report back.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Location: Partying down with the Ewoks, after I nuked the Death Star!
Feb 20, 2003, 05:12 PM

I got my Sony Ericsson T68i on Tuesday and I also got the bluetooth headset
And you spent how much on that headset!?

"Hello, what have we here?

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 05:13 PM

Heheh. I have airport here but it isn't going to be on all of my computers until I get my powerbook and then, MAYBE, I'll consider the sony phone that just came out when the time is right.

Right now I'm happy with my motorola, the camera thing is great and fits in my pocket
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by Landos Mustache:
That's what I wonder, I know they go for $100 +

Not my price range, that's for sure.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:17 PM

99 Bucks. the phone also came down in price too. The phone is now 269

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by Mac Zealot:
That's what I wonder, I know they go for $100 +

Not my price range, that's for sure.
Just under 100 now. 99 bucks but I guess with tax just over

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:23 PM

Just under 100 now. 99 bucks but I guess with tax just over
WIRELESS GEEKINESS WILL NOT HAVE A "price".

THAT IS ALL

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
WIRELESS GEEKINESS WILL NOT HAVE A "price".

THAT IS ALL
True, True.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 05:39 PM

99 Bucks.
$99 to save a wire from my hip to my ear is a rip off. Not to mention you have to replace the batteries all the time.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 05:57 PM

99 Bucks. the phone also came down in price too. The phone is now 269
You mean to say you paid for the phone FULL PRICE?!?!?!? *GASP*

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2003, 07:56 PM

$99 to save a wire from my hip to my ear is a rip off. Not to mention you have to replace the batteries all the time.
?99 minus the wired headphones price. And there are no batteries involved. (AnyCome BT headphone)

Not cheap, but it has stopped me from killing people on the road.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 08:55 PM

no need to change the betteries. And yes to save the wire for me is a big deal. I always end up breaking the wire. Sometimes I forget I have it in my ear and yank the whole phone and everything out of the car, or I yank it out of the phone and the phone goes flying. I have also found the wireless headset alows me full range to turn my head therefor making it safer. so like I said to me it's worth it.

Landos Mustache
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 09:07 PM

Huh, the bloothtooth headset doesn't use batteries?

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by Mr_Frost:

Not cheap, but it has stopped me from killing people on the road.

Recent studies (I just love that phrase) suggest that headset or not doesn't make any difference. Talking on a cell phone is still dangerous while driving. It has to do with your brain's ability to manage what it is paying attention to at any given time. Your brain is unable to pay attention to driving and listening to a phone conversation simultaneously at the same level as driving without talking on the cell phone. Interestingly, carrying on a conversation with someone in the car has little effect on your driving skills.

kman

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 10:23 PM

Huh, the bloothtooth headset doesn't use batteries?
It is a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery.

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2003, 11:03 PM

Can someone explain SMS messaging a bit more. My wife and I just upgraded to the T68i from our Motorola v60s (which we hate). The phones arrive tomorrow and I'm trying to brush up on all they're capable of.

Also, please don't pay retail for these. They're free through Amazon with an activation and very low prices in many places. We got them from AT&T for the webprice ($49 per phone after rebate) and then with my Cisco discount, we only paid $50 for both of them.
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by William_F_House:
Can someone explain SMS messaging a bit more. My wife and I just upgraded to the T68i from our Motorola v60s (which we hate). The phones arrive tomorrow and I'm trying to brush up on all they're capable of.

Also, please don't pay retail for these. They're free through Amazon with an activation and very low prices in many places. We got them from AT&T for the webprice ($49 per phone after rebate) and then with my Cisco discount, we only paid $50 for both of them.
According to the Manual
1. Scroll to Messages, YES (button), SMS,YES, Options, YES, Service Centers, YES,
(If the service center number is saved on the SIM card it appears in the display.)

2. If there is no number in the list select ADD new?, YES.
3. Enter the, number including the international + sign and country code.

Sending Text messages:
1. scroll to Messages, YES, SMS, YES, Write new, YES.

2. Write your Message, YES.
3. Enter recipients Phone number or retrieve a number or group from Phone book
4.Press YES to send message

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 03:43 AM

Originally posted by kman42:

Interestingly, carrying on a conversation with someone in the car has little effect on your driving skills.

kman
That's because when you're talking to somebody else who is actually in the car with you the conversation tends to take the traffic into account. Your conversation partner will in all probablity not insist on talking to you about the latest sales figures while you're trying to overtake a lorry on a narrow road.

Phone conversations demand far more concentration. That's, btw, one of the reasons why parents tend to tell their children to be quiet while being in the car. Kids just carry on having a conversation without understanding the demads being made onto the driver.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by kman42:
Recent studies (I just love that phrase) suggest that headset or not doesn't make any difference. Talking on a cell phone is still dangerous while driving. It has to do with your brain's ability to manage what it is paying attention to at any given time. Your brain is unable to pay attention to driving and listening to a phone conversation simultaneously at the same level as driving without talking on the cell phone. Interestingly, carrying on a conversation with someone in the car has little effect on your driving skills.

kman
I was just kidding though, I have never killed anyone on the road. Had you fooled....hah

On a more serious note (I love THAT phrase) I always pull over when I get an incoming call, if I see that I don't have the time or place to pull over I just don't pick up the phone.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 06:00 AM

I'm just waiting for the day of in car messengering. Being able to send angry IMs to the car that makes it's turn infront of the fire truck anyway. There was this STUPID car at the intersection today, everyone could see and hear the truck comming but the guy just goes ahead of it anyway! And it's like... YOU MORON!

William_F_House
Forum Regular
Feb 21, 2003, 11:34 AM

Actually, I meant more about the "applications" of using SMS rather than instructions of how to use it.

No bother though. The phones just arrived and I'm about to set them up.

Thanks.

According to the Manual
1. Scroll to Messages, YES (button), SMS,YES, Options, YES, Service Centers, YES,
(If the service center number is saved on the SIM card it appears in the display.)

2. If there is no number in the list select ADD new?, YES.
3. Enter the, number including the international + sign and country code.

Sending Text messages:
1. scroll to Messages, YES, SMS, YES, Write new, YES.

2. Write your Message, YES.
3. Enter recipients Phone number or retrieve a number or group from Phone book
4.Press YES to send message
- William F. House

Boulder, Colorado
Pre-med student, Radiology Assistant
& sometimes writer

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2003, 05:10 PM

I wish T-Mobile offered a bluetooth phone. I really like the idea of wireless headphones, I just wish I could get some for my iPod.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Feb 21, 2003, 05:30 PM

I also have a t68i and a HBH-30 headset. What I really want it to have OS X support the headset profile so I can use my headset with the computer as a mic. I want to be able to use VoIP with a wireless headset around my apartment. I walso want to be able to issue voice commands to my mac while I am in the kitchen... I can dream can't I?
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
I wish T-Mobile offered a bluetooth phone. I really like the idea of wireless headphones, I just wish I could get some for my iPod.
T-Mobile does. They sell the T-68i I'm sure they have the headset with it as well.

typoon  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by hadocon:
I also have a t68i and a HBH-30 headset. What I really want it to have OS X support the headset profile so I can use my headset with the computer as a mic. I want to be able to use VoIP with a wireless headset around my apartment. I walso want to be able to issue voice commands to my mac while I am in the kitchen... I can dream can't I?
That would be cool. What do you use for VoIP?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 21, 2003, 05:46 PM

It is a rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery.
How long does the battery last?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Feb 21, 2003, 07:16 PM

T-Mobile does. They sell the T-68i I'm sure they have the headset with it as well.
What!

Last time I checked I couldn't find it.

edit:

Well they sure do now! Damn... I wonder how much I can get for my v66...
( Last edited by nonhuman; Feb 21, 2003 at 07:25 PM. )

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 01:09 AM

That would be cool. What do you use for VoIP?
I'm thinking about buying NetFone from http://www.haxial.com/

Any feedback on that? What do you use?

I too want the headset profile for exactly the same reason.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 1, 2003, 02:14 AM

ultimate geekiness: using the bluetooth phone as a modem to dial up from LAX

and

using the phone as a remote for powerpoint presentations

everyone was like "WOAH! Leme see your clicky thing!!!"
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

ARENA
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 02:35 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
ultimate geekiness: using the bluetooth phone as a modem to dial up from LAX

and

using the phone as a remote for powerpoint presentations

everyone was like "WOAH! Leme see your clicky thing!!!"
Powerpoint?? Come on Albert!
The true Mac geek would be using the T68 to control a Keynote presentation!

chrisutley
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2003, 02:42 AM

What I want is a Treo 300 with Bluetooth that can sync to my Mac and use a headset. That would be hella-geeky.
MacBook and iMac Core 2 Duo 24"

Forum Links
Forum Rules