Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Things I really miss...

Things I really miss...
Laauuren
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 03:14 AM

So I am a little behind the times, and I just started using X now (I went for the 12 inch PB, and aside from the fact that it is SO hot to the touch, I love it). But I have to say, there are some things I can't help but miss from 9. For example, I used to open AOL with F8 and IE with F9. Now when I go under keyboard, I can't program the function keys. Also, I used to have a really pretty font, and now for some reason I can't figure out how to change the default font (Not for things like mail and Word, but like the text under icons and in menus). I also used to like how when I double clicked on the menu bar, it shrunk up. In X, when I do that, it hides my window like with Windows XP. Does anyone have any idea about how I might manipulate these features with X, like it was so easy to do on 9?
Smile. It will make people wonder what you're thinking.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 06:08 AM

You need an app like HotApp, FLaunch or Youpi Key ( freeware ) to open apps, docs or applescripts with the function keys. Search for these apps on www.versiontracker.com

You can't change the system font ( yet ), unsanity is working on an app that will be able to do this.

You can download windowshade X from unsanity, when you double click a window ( not the menu bar, the menu bar is at the top of the screen ) it will shrink the window like in 9...

Unsanity website ( silk and windowshade )

mpmchugh
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 06:13 AM

None of these features are built into Mac OS X, so these shareware options will give you back the features you miss...

Keyboard Maestro or HotApp will allow you to program function keys:

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=11870&db=mac

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=12209&db=mac

TinkerTool will allow yout to change your system font:

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=11967&db=mac

And WindowShade will bring back OS 9 style window shading.

http://www.versiontracker.com/morein...d=12243&db=mac

-mpm

Laauuren  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 3, 2003, 12:37 PM

Thanks SO much. Is there anything else I might be missing that I just haven't realized yet?
Smile. It will make people wonder what you're thinking.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 12:45 PM

Unsanity has a lot of other apps that bring back OS 9 functionality, labels, appearance sounds and the ability to customize the Apple Menu and contextual menus....

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 3, 2003, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Laauuren:
So I am a little behind the times, and I just started using X now (I went for the 12 inch PB, and aside from the fact that it is SO hot to the touch, I love it). But I have to say, there are some things I can't help but miss from 9. For example, I used to open AOL with F8 and IE with F9. Now when I go under keyboard, I can't program the function keys. Also, I used to have a really pretty font, and now for some reason I can't figure out how to change the default font (Not for things like mail and Word, but like the text under icons and in menus). I also used to like how when I double clicked on the menu bar, it shrunk up. In X, when I do that, it hides my window like with Windows XP. Does anyone have any idea about how I might manipulate these features with X, like it was so easy to do on 9?
Just remember as you follow the instructions of others here that if you install something that is termed a "haxie," like Windoshade, you're asking for lots of stability issues. These things patch the system to do things that it isn't designed to do using private, undocumented Apple APIs.

Just an FYI in case you all of the sudded experience random problems

philm
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 03:35 PM

Thanks SO much. Is there anything else I might be missing that I just haven't realized yet?
I'm not sure if this really applies to you, but I think it's a mistake to move to OS X and then try and immediately recreate the look and feel of OS 9. Of course, initially, you miss certain features which you have been used to. But OS X usually provides an alternative, you just have to think a bit differently. I recommend that you go with the flow for a while, and then re-evaulate your use of the OS.

Just my 2p.
Phil

Toyin
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by zerologic:
Just remember as you follow the instructions of others here that if you install something that is termed a "haxie," like Windoshade, you're asking for lots of stability issues. These things patch the system to do things that it isn't designed to do using private, undocumented Apple APIs.

Just an FYI in case you all of the sudded experience random problems

I've been using OSX and Haxies (windowshadex, xounds, fruitmenu, silk)since 10.1 and have never had any stability issues.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

Terri
Senior User
Mar 3, 2003, 06:55 PM

I use FruitMenu, Labels X, WindowShade, Default Folder, ASM and a few other things. I have had absolutely no problems. I never crash, the only time I ever restart is when doing upgrades.

I do really miss tabbed folders and hate the open/save dialogs.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 3, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by Toyin:
I've been using OSX and Haxies (windowshadex, xounds, fruitmenu, silk)since 10.1 and have never had any stability issues.
i've beta tested all of them, and i've never had any stability issues. well, slava might say i have some stability issues, but that's different
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

wreks
Forum Regular
Mar 4, 2003, 02:52 AM

essential Mac OS X app: launchbar
http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 03:20 AM

Philm is right. You can add as many haxies as you want but sooner or later you are going to have to face the fact that it is not Mac OS 9 and the way it does things are for a reason.

I was glad it wasn't Mac OS 9 because i disliked that version.

DaGuy
Senior User
Mar 4, 2003, 04:06 AM

I miss rebooting every 30 minutes! How do I get that back? Those stupid OSX apps don't seem to crash the system... I also miss manually assigning memory. It's so sad...

Forum Links
Forum Rules