Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Possible Panther UI?

Possible Panther UI? (Page 2)
Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 10:46 AM

I think that they are VERY slowly trying to aquafy these apps. As a designer i love the look of aqua, but alot of pros have been using shake and fcp and are used to the look/feel of them, not aqau. and I think that if apple was to just switch right over to full bown aqua ALOT of people would bitch. This seems like a logical transition to aqua from the grey industrial look. I think its a smart move overall, and bet we see aqua in all these apps by the next release. just my 2�

Zimphire
Baninated
Apr 8, 2003, 12:26 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
I think that they are VERY slowly trying to aquafy these apps. As a designer i love the look of aqua, but alot of pros have been using shake and fcp and are used to the look/feel of them, not aqau. and I think that if apple was to just switch right over to full bown aqua ALOT of people would bitch. This seems like a logical transition to aqua from the grey industrial look. I think its a smart move overall, and bet we see aqua in all these apps by the next release. just my 2�
If Apple had a GUI that was professional and easy on the eyes, they would have no room to complain I don't think.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 8, 2003, 12:27 PM

I agree. I love Aqua, but I think it gets a bit too white sometimes.

I'd prefer less metal and less white - and definately less stripes. But keep the Aqua look. I think these Pro apps show a bit of that.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 02:29 PM

Have any if you tried using Safari with the striped aqua look? It feels so much leaner and cleaner.

I agree completely. Switching Safari over to Aqua made it so much more pleasing to use.

Aqua and Brushed are both really nice, tried and true interfaces (it doesn't get old like most themes do). Except the rounded edges on the title bar, god i hate those!!!

Actually I really like the rounded edges. WindowsXP does that as well. It makes it less "harsh" in my opinion.

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
FCP existed as a different application BEFORE Apple bought the company (I forget the details) and they did what they could at the time to "Brand" it as an Apple product without touching the UI (much) to 'get it out the door' to the masses.
As I recall, it was a program Macromedia was developing.

It was in beta. It was not a finished product when Apple snatched it up.
Originally posted by Nebagakid:
Well, in those Quick Tour movies, the menu bar is not at the top of the screen, but attachted to the top of the windows of the program it sorta looks like....ugh...windows

seriously, take a look!
Uh, what?

The menubar is at the top of the screen just as normal. I don't see it attached to windows in the first few movies.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

JB72
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by LightWaver-67:
They look different because they ARE different...!

What do I mean...? FCP existed as a different application BEFORE Apple bought the company (I forget the details) and they did what they could at the time to "Brand" it as an Apple product without touching the UI (much) to 'get it out the door' to the masses.
FYI, that's not really true. There were a lot of changes done to the UI from the work they were handed from Macromedia. Namely, Jobs wanted the video bigger than the Premiere-like thumbnail at the time. And made comments like, "Make it like Avid!" to the design team. A lot of interface work was done to FCP at Apple.

a holck
Senior User
Apr 9, 2003, 01:45 PM

The Macromedia Final Cut beta previewed at NAB 98 had a standard platinum OS9 interface. The windows was like we know them today, but the app was very buggy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules