Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > j2me development

j2me development
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 31, 2003, 11:41 PM

If one is interested in doing j2me development for the Nokia Series 60 OS using Mac OS X- what would be the best environment - commercial or free - to do this with?

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Jun 1, 2003, 01:00 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
If one is interested in doing j2me development for the Nokia Series 60 OS using Mac OS X- what would be the best environment - commercial or free - to do this with?
J2ME is just a subset of J2SE, so you can use any J2SE environment o do your development. Just make sure you only use APIs that are part of J2SE (which comes with OS X).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2003, 03:02 PM

Originally posted by Arkham_c:
J2ME is just a subset of J2SE, so you can use any J2SE environment o do your development. Just make sure you only use APIs that are part of J2SE (which comes with OS X).
Right, but what environments do most people like to use for J2SE development on the Mac?

Project Builder is good - but compared to the Visual Studio series lacks quite a bit. So I'd like to see if there is anything that people do use a lot on the Mac to develop in J2SE or even J2EE.

depolitic
Jun 1, 2003, 09:20 PM

Pro Java IDE's for OSX.

Netbeans (Free Based on SUN Microsystems Forte IDE)

www.netbeans.org

Eclipse (Free from IBM)

www.eclipse.org

Wich was one is personal choice. Both have strenght and weekness.

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 09:13 PM

I was just about to post the exact same question about J2ME development!

It's all very well saying that it's a subset of J2SE which comes with OS X, but how can I test what my software will look like on my mobile phone without having to waste WAP minutes only to find out it won't work?!

Also, is there a list of APIs contained in the subset? I know it'll be on java.sun.com somewhere, but I'm too tired to look just now.

FYI, I've got the Nokia 3510i
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jun 6, 2003, 10:16 PM

I've just downloaded various bits and bobs from java.sun.com/j2me but I can't compile anything. I don't have the necessary java extensions javax.microedition.*

Any hints on how I might be able to get my hands on this?

Thanks

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 07:55 AM

Ok, after a wee bit of digging around on Sun's java webpages I found the javax.microedition packages, and after searching Apple's java-dev email archives I found myself an OS X build of the Preverify tool.

I installed it into /usr/local/bin and all the libraries into /usr/local/lib but I can't get it to preverify any of my code. It compiles successfully, but the preverify tool outputs the following error:

Code:
Error preverifying class HelloMIDlet Class loading error: Illegal constant pool index
Any thoughts?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 12:56 PM

Ok, not that anybody was interested before, but in case anyone's interested from now onwards, I've solved the problem.

The preverify tool is incompatible with JDK1.4.1 - I went back to 1.3.1 and it's working fine now. Bit of a pain, but never mind.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2003, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
Ok, not that anybody was interested before, but in case anyone's interested from now onwards, I've solved the problem.

The preverify tool is incompatible with JDK1.4.1 - I went back to 1.3.1 and it's working fine now. Bit of a pain, but never mind.
I was actually a little interested. I didn't have anything to add though...

Did you have to completely remove 1.4.1?

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by alien:
I was actually a little interested. I didn't have anything to add though...

Did you have to completely remove 1.4.1?
Nah, when you update java on OS X (provided you didn't do it manually), all previous versions of the JDK remain in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions

All you need to do is redirect the symbolic link "CurrentJDK" to point to 1.3.1 instead of 1.4.1 DO NOT change the symlink "current", that should remain pointing at "A"

Now you should be able to compile and preverify your MIDlets on OS X.

Still need a Nokia emulator though.....

Forum Links
Forum Rules