Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Exchange SSL AddressBook Sync

Exchange SSL AddressBook Sync
alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 1, 2006, 02:06 PM

In Tiger at least Address Book supports Exchange Server sync. I cannot get it to work. In our case the server is using an SSL OWA server and AB/iSync just say that it cannot connect.

Has anyone had success doing this?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac
In Tiger at least Address Book supports Exchange Server sync. I cannot get it to work. In our case the server is using an SSL OWA server and AB/iSync just say that it cannot connect.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Yes, I use it all the time to do searches of our GAL.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2006, 02:19 PM

OK can you help me with the settings then? Here is what I have:

The server its going to is (the screenshot is wrong)
https://secure.4smartphone.net/exchange

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 8, 2006, 02:22 PM

Then again - this might be the issue:
http://macrit.rit.edu/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8422

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 8, 2006, 02:39 PM

I don't think we can help with knowing what settings to plug in, there are just too many variables that we cannot for (I could list several). Your best bet is to work directly with the Exchange ISP. If they have LDAP enabled and could provide these settings for you, you could also setup Address Book to query the Active Directory server and, in doing so, access your global address listing within AB/Mail.

This is all I do personally, since I don't use the Exchange calendar.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 9, 2006, 09:39 PM

It took me awhile to get mine working as well, but it works now with:

User Name: user (not my full email)
Password: exchange password
OWA: https://server.com/exchange

I read through a bunch of posts on Apple's support forum when I was first setting this up, and it seems that the settings really depend on what version of Exchange is running (2000 or 2003) and how you have OWA configured.

Some people were saying that they needed to change the "User Name" to either DOMAIN/user or their full email. Others said that adding their user name to the end of the OWA server URL (http://server.com/exchange/user) worked for them.

You should check the Apple forums to see what others were coming up with for solutions and then play around with your settings a bit to see if something works. Otherwise, check with your server admin to see if there is something in OWA that they need to activate for you.

FYI: If you haven't done so already, make sure you back everything up. The first sync that I got to work wiped everything out of Address Book. Funny thing is that this also happened with all my events/todos in iCal when I set up Groupcal. Both work great now (and luckily I was backed up both times), so I don't know if this is some issue between Sync Services and Exchange or just me.
( Last edited by El Gato; Aug 9, 2006 at 09:49 PM. )

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2006, 12:27 AM

I figured it out! I needed to put the domain name of the user in the user field. So 4Smartphone\<user>.

Then it worked perfectly.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 10, 2006, 11:39 AM

Nice! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

alex_kac  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2006, 12:29 PM

I'm happy because now I have my iCal, AB synched with my Treo and so on - all wirelessly and perfectly. I dislike Exchange which is why I don't run it myself - I use Communigate Pro for my email server, but I like having everything synched without having to physically connect my devices to sync. Its just nice to make an appt in iCal and immediately go somewhere and find it already synced.

Forum Links
Forum Rules