Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Photos of the Derby Fire, Montana (100,000 acres)

Photos of the Derby Fire, Montana (100,000 acres)
davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 06:18 PM

This fire started as a small blaze near Nye/Fishtail, Montana and doubled every day - 13,000 acres, 40,000 acres, 80,000 acres (yesterday), it's now estimated at over 100,000.

Many people have been evacuated from nearby communities: Reed Point, Absorkee, Nye, Fishtail and Big Timber. There are also lots of ranches in the area that have been evacuated. Last night, Interstate 90 was closed for about 7 hours between Park City and Livingston, roughly 100 miles due to low visibility.

Word comes today that quite a few homes have been lost, the numbers range from 20-50 that I have heard, but I'm sure it will be at least that. The Stillwater Valley is on fire.

So far, luckily, nobody has died, but with high winds, extremely dry conditions, it's likely this will spread for a while. For an example of how dry this timber is, lumber that has been kiln dried is 16-18% moisture. This lumber is 6-8%. Plus dry grasses, very bad things.

Now, we are a rural state and it's not as exciting as a hurricane, but I figured you should all know about this terrible thing.

My fire photos are posted to my Flickr account: Derby Fire, Montana - a photoset on Flickr
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
This fire started as a small blaze near Nye/Fishtail, Montana and doubled every day - 13,000 acres, 40,000 acres, 80,000 acres (yesterday), it's now estimated at over 100,000.

Many people have been evacuated from nearby communities: Reed Point, Absorkee, Nye, Fishtail and Big Timber. There are also lots of ranches in the area that have been evacuated. Last night, Interstate 90 was closed for about 7 hours between Park City and Livingston, roughly 100 miles due to low visibility.

Word comes today that quite a few homes have been lost, the numbers range from 20-50 that I have heard, but I'm sure it will be at least that. The Stillwater Valley is on fire.

So far, luckily, nobody has died, but with high winds, extremely dry conditions, it's likely this will spread for a while. For an example of how dry this timber is, lumber that has been kiln dried is 16-18% moisture. This lumber is 6-8%. Plus dry grasses, very bad things.

Now, we are a rural state and it's not as exciting as a hurricane, but I figured you should all know about this terrible thing.

My fire photos are posted to my Flickr account: Derby Fire, Montana - a photoset on Flickr
At his rate the state will burn down

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by USB HUB
Scary, it feels that way almost every summer. It's nothing like 1988 yet, though. That was the worst.

baw
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2006, 06:39 PM

but I figured you should all know about this terrible thing.
Forest fires are quite healthy for the forest environment. Mother nature's way of cleaning house and starting fresh. Living in Alaska this was a yearly thing during the summer months. I miss watching all the fires.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:44 PM

We have a state called Montana?!

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by baw
Forest fires are quite healthy for the forest environment. Mother nature's way of cleaning house and starting fresh. Living in Alaska this was a yearly thing during the summer months. I miss watching all the fires.
It's one thing when it's a fire that is under control and people's homes aren't endangered. It's another thing entirely when people are losing their homes, livestock and livlihoods (thankfully, no lives lost yet) to a fire that is growing out of control and could soon threaten entire towns.

I remember the "let it burn" debate from Yellowstone '88. Healthy for a fire, yes. Healthy to be completely destroyed by fire, not so much.

This is land/timber that is so dry that a spark sends entire fields in flames.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2006, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by USB HUB
That's not very funny.

This is serious stuff. People forget about these wildfires and the effect on the people and the area. Even if it is nothing but open land, its land that has not yet been encroached upon and it is sad to see it burn.

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar
We have a state called Montana?!

We don't get hurricanes. But I hear they are healthy for the coastal environment.

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2006, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
That's not very funny.

This is serious stuff. People forget about these wildfires and the effect on the people and the area. Even if it is nothing but open land, its land that has not yet been encroached upon and it is sad to see it burn.
Much of the land is ranchland, and this fire is moving fast enough, I'm sure that some people will lose livestock along the way. That's roughly akin to my PowerBook blowing up in terms of how these people make a living. Without backups.

USB HUB
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by KeriVit
That's not very funny.

Ture, it is sad and i hope the fire goes out but a joke here and there is not that bad.

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2006, 05:43 PM

Fire as of yesterday is 156,000 acres, at least 20, but as many as 50 homes estimated lost, other structures as well (barns, sheds, etc.), livestock lost, and some people had close calls with the fire.

For instance, one couple my dad talked to had to jump in the Stillwater River to let the fire go over their heads when it overcame them. Wet horse blankets covered them and they just hoped it would pass.

davesimondotcom  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2006, 09:18 PM

Fire is up to 186,000 acres as of this morning. Just 25% contained and the weather report doesn't look good for the next few days.

Here in the Bozeman area, the smoke is so thick that when driving to the grocery store today, I couldn't see beyond two city blocks in front of me. Pretty much everyone I talk to is having sinus problems, breathing problems and headaches.

Plus, it's warm and the only way most people around here have to cool their houses is a fan in the window. Everything smells like a campfire, but not in a good way.

Lastest info I have on the start of the fire:

Apparently, a helicopter pilot who worked with the Stillwater Mine in Nye spotted the fire when it started and made several trips to dump water on it. He estimates he had only three or four more trips to put the fire out.

Meanwhile, the forest ranger from the NFS came along and ordered him to stop trying to put it out. It was against their policy.

Now, the fire has spread to private lands, killing much of the wildlife and livestock, burning people's homes and property and cost millions to "control."

Stupid ******* policy. This is 1988 all over again, but hardly makes the news because it's not Yellowstone National park.

To say that letting it burn is healthy for the forest is one thing, in practice, it's insane. With the current conditions of dryness, heat and wind, it was an irresponsible decision that I'm sure will be covered up. Someone should lose their job over this, at the very least.

So far, there are no deaths from the fire, but that will probably change, since there are people who might have been in structures that were lost, but were unable to get out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules