Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Google Drive: I really like it

Google Drive: I really like it
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 02:16 PM

Hey look, another thread from me about a Google service. This time, unlike Play, which perplexes me (especially how the Android Store was renamed across all Android Devices), I really like Google Drive. I know that in many respects it's a redone Google Docs plus local file syncing, but I really like it. It's a Google service done very nicely in basically all respects that I can think of. I especially like the document sharing functionality, which replaces what we lamely lost with iDisk and MobileMe.

Now shouldn't Apple be able to easily integrate such functionality into iCloud, or is Apple completely against users managing files manually in the cloud now?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2012, 02:43 PM

How does it compare against drop box?
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 03:05 PM

Does Drop Box have a web interface to boxes, or is it all based in the client? My brother had to download a file from drop box, and instead of just getting the file on the web, he had to install the client first. Just to download. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it seemed. I find having a web client and the ability to share and manipulate files on the web, not just through a client, a necessity. Not everyone wants to install a client even if it's a major part of the service's functionality.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 7, 2012 at 03:13 PM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 7, 2012, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Does Drop Box have a web interface to boxes, or is it all based in the client? My brother had to download a file from drop box, and instead of just getting the file on the web, he had to install the client first. Just to download. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it seemed. I find having a web client and the ability to share on the web, not just through a client, a necessity.
You're wrong. You can download files that are shared publicly from any users dropbox. You can log into your own dropbox and download any file.

-Q-
May 7, 2012, 03:36 PM

I've had no issues at all sharing files from my dropbox with non-dropbox users. They just get the public link and download away. I do like that Drive gives you double the free space as DB. Just waiting for Dropbox to match it.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 7, 2012, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Does Drop Box have a web interface to boxes, or is it all based in the client? My brother had to download a file from drop box, and instead of just getting the file on the web, he had to install the client first. Just to download. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how it seemed. I find having a web client and the ability to share and manipulate files on the web, not just through a client, a necessity. Not everyone wants to install a client even if it's a major part of the service's functionality.
Wrong. Dropbox's webclient does exactly that. Not sure why your friend thought he needed to install the client. I can't count how many times I've needed to grab something and just logged in and downloaded it in 30 seconds.
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 7, 2012 at 03:59 PM. )

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2012, 03:51 PM

My brother said he was sent a drop box link to a file from another drop box user, and the way things looked my brother had to install the client to access it. Do you have to have a Drop Box account to access through the web files sent from other Drop Box users?

Either way, Google's implementation is clean, it's integrated with your single login Google account, and it's easy. Nearly everyone has gmail so nearly everyone should be comfortable with using Google Drive. The same I can't say for Drop Box even though I know it too is tremendously popular.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 7, 2012, 04:01 PM

for the longest time you could only give out public links that anyone could use to files that were in your "Public" folder. they have changed this and now you can get a link for any file in your dropbox which anyone can use. I have used this countless times.

sounds like a case of both users not knowing the full set of features
( Last edited by abbaZaba; May 7, 2012 at 04:09 PM. )

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2012, 04:46 PM

Now now "Does Drop Box have a web interface to boxes, or is it all based in the client?" Bigmac is being treated unfair. He was basically asking a question as a non user of dropbox. They didn't have a web interface in 2007, and by 2008 it had one but very limited control over folders which I don't think got fixed until 2009.

Anyways because of the no iOS support yet, Google Drive is useless to me. And this is another example of Google missing the mark for critical mass adoption. They should have waiting until the iOS version was ready so that on day one every one could start using it right away. This day one critical mass adoption is vital for growth because if most of your friends are using it good chance you will too. The facebook example. Google+ also spoiled its critical mass adoption by coming out not ready. A lot of early users gave up on it and the critical mass never occurred.

I might give it a try and iOS support is there but I don't see a need to with dropbox. I can already access my Google docs through Safari.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 8, 2012, 04:50 PM

Obviously they want people to switch to Android.

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 9, 2012, 02:09 PM

I am in need for a dropbox replacement, google drive seems ok. What I want is a paid account, paid because that saves me irrelevant advertisements and security because all my documents are mine and stay mine in the cloud.

i this google drive? or can you never be sure of google services?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

OreoCookie
May 9, 2012, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
I am in need for a dropbox replacement
What's wrong with Dropbox? Why aren't' you satisfied?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 9, 2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by PB2K View Post
I am in need for a dropbox replacement, google drive seems ok. What I want is a paid account, paid because that saves me irrelevant advertisements and security because all my documents are mine and stay mine in the cloud.

i this google drive? or can you never be sure of google services?
I don't recall seeing any annoying ads with DropBox and on top of that a paid account offers not additional protection to your data. Just look at what happened with Megauploads. Lots of paying customers lost all access to content as well. The cloud is a great tool and good for backing up stuff but its still not a good idea to keep all your stuff in one place. Should keep local copies of anything you put on the cloud incase the service goes down. Or failures like what happened with Microsofts sidekick services and Megauploads being shutdown.

abbaZaba
Mac Elite
May 9, 2012, 05:15 PM

say dropbox gets taken out completely for some fantastic reason. when the app launches, will it "remove" all the stuff in the dropbox folder or will it leave it untouched?

PB2K
Mac Elite
May 10, 2012, 09:38 AM

I just want Google's services with a strong guarantee that what I upload stays my personal belongings.

for example : I fear that all my photos become google's property when I upload my iphoto album into picasa.

thats why i want to pay for my rights. 'Free' is always a suspicious service
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
May 10, 2012, 11:29 AM

Just because its a pay service does not mean anything is different from Terms of Service or policies that govern the site. You still have to read the ToS for both free and paid sites. Most of the time the difference between paid and free when it comes to terms is the same except for limits like how many GB or how many whatevers can be done on the free service. But I get where you are coming from. I don't see it as a issue between paid and free. I pay for Flickr and Vimeo because I need the upgraded services, otherwise the free services where fine.

@abbazaba

I would assume it would leave it untouched the same as when you are working offline for computers. If it does not get instructions from a server to change anythng it won't. Mobile apps I think maybe different, depending on if it stored the files locally like desktops or if it downloads in real time. If it downloads in real time on the mobile then it would be a problem. But I think it stores it locally even on mobile.

Forum Links
Forum Rules