Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Pixar losing its style, magic touch.

Pixar losing its style, magic touch.
The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2012, 04:48 PM

See the trailer for next month's Pixar movie "Brave". If not told beforehand, watching the details and the acting, would you guess it wasn't made by dreamworks?

finboy
May 16, 2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
See the trailer for next month's Pixar movie "Brave". If not told beforehand, watching the details and the acting, would you guess it wasn't made by dreamworks?
It might mean that Pixar is finally growing up. Seriously, though, at least it isn't some morality play about the dangers of WalMart or rats running a restaurant. I'm sure it has its preachy moments.

andi*pandi
May 16, 2012, 08:07 PM

I know I want to see it. I'm trying to avoid watching too many trailers and getting spoiled.

I think the competition has been good for them both - Dreamworks has stepped up its quality level certainly. Is the drawing style more in like How to Tame a Dragon than Toy Story? Yes. But then Pixar doesn't really have *one* drawing style.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 16, 2012, 09:48 PM

I honestly thought it was a sequel to how to train your dragon, which I was excited about. Either way it looks good, the visual style reminds me of that but it still looks great.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2012, 10:22 PM

I want to see it, but I really thought it was Dreamworks as well. Didn't seem Pixar, at all. I sense the hand of Disney at work.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2012, 03:10 AM

I'm trying to avoid watching too many trailers and getting spoiled.
This. Trailers spoil too much these days. (TDKR)

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2012, 08:46 AM

One should never judge a Pixar film by its trailer. They always seem to suck, IMO.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2012, 10:04 AM

Yup.

Most Pixar trailers do a bad job of selling the movie.

Let's wait until the actual movie comes out before we start this year's inevitable round of "Pixar has lost it's touch" talk.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2012, 12:41 PM

Cars would have been the example of Pixar-lost-its-touch. Well maybe not. I haven't watched Cars 2 because I didn't like Cars, but I hear Cars 2 sucked.

I'm looking forward to Brave though.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 17, 2012, 04:49 PM

Cars was pure money making. Disney would have been stupid not to make a sequel. That said the guy who was head of things at Pixar is now head of animation at Disney, so while he might have some additional pressure on him to perform I think the quality of Pixar won't be messed with much.

P
May 17, 2012, 05:47 PM

Pixar's problem is that they have done some very similar things in their movies, and have to try new things. In this case, they tried to make a movie more explicitly for little girls, and (from what I understand) that wasn't easy for a company of little boys who refuse to grow up. The original director was a new hire and was fired half way through, replaced by an old Pixar hand. I imagine that would show in the movie.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 17, 2012, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Cars would have been the example of Pixar-lost-its-touch. Well maybe not. I haven't watched Cars 2 because I didn't like Cars, but I hear Cars 2 sucked.

I enjoyed Cars 2 a lot more than the first one, actually. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2012, 01:08 PM

I've found that every Pixar movie I see the trailer for I go "huh? No interest" and then I see the movie and it becomes a family favorite. I am actually looking forward to Brave.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2012, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
I've found that every Pixar movie I see the trailer for I go "huh? No interest" and then I see the movie and it becomes a family favorite. I am actually looking forward to Brave.
Does that include Cars and Cars 2?

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2012, 01:45 PM

Yes it does. We loved both. Our boys loved both. And friend's kids loved both. I kind of liked Cars 2 more than Cars.

The Godfather  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 19, 2012, 08:10 PM

The market is ripe for some serious adult themed CGI movie.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
May 19, 2012, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
The market is ripe for some serious adult themed CGI movie.
I've love an adult rom com featuring a grown up Nemo.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2012, 01:57 PM

So, I just saw Brave. I was unimpressed. The trailer was better. The first post nailed it. Had a very Dreamworks Animation vibe to in terms of the story. I don't know if Cars or Brave was worse. (I haven't seen Cars 2.)

P.S. They had a trailer for Monsters University.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2012, 02:06 PM

Yeah, Brave wasn't that great.

It wasn't that bad either. It was still an above average kids movie.

Too many cliches and tropes. Tried to be all girl-power, but just gave us a big spoonful of the most tired "strong female" archetypes around.

Not enough really happened either. It felt very short and very "small". Almost like it was missing an act.

Still better than most of the drek hollywood farts in the direction of children.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2012, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

I liked them both. I didn't see any issues with Cars 2. For a sequel it was pretty good actually.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules