Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > using iPod Touch in cradle

using iPod Touch in cradle
daqman
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2009, 10:50 AM

My wife has a shiny new iPod Touch that we have upgraded to version 3 of the OS. She has a cradle that is attached to a charger and a sound system that she used with her old iPod. She has been using the touch to listen to internet Radio (Absolute radio from the UK) She was thrilled that the Touch displays the current song playing plus the next song up plus album art. The problem is that the iPod display shuts off and locks while the music keeps playing. Of course I can set "Auto-Lock" to never but that's a pain when it's not in the dock and it stays on until the battery dies.

So, is there an equivalent to the "don't sleep while plugged" in option that Macs have? Or the "stay on while charging" that my old Palm Pilot had?

I thought that maybe the problem was with that particular App but it seems uniform across everything except watching a movie or youtube.

My wife asked me this question as the Mac/iPod expert in the house and I thought it would be an easy answer but I can't figure it out.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by daqman View Post
So, is there an equivalent to the "don't sleep while plugged" in option that Macs have? Or the "stay on while charging" that my old Palm Pilot had?
To my knowledge, no, there is not.

This is a darn shame. If you use your iPoad in the car, and it's being charged, it will also lock up. Really stupid if you want to use things like Google Maps.

I wish there was a fast way to keep it unlocked.

I suggested somewhere before that there should be a way to unlock the iPhone so it will not lock automatically.
E.g., if you slide open the slider with TWO fingers, it could tell the iPhone to not lock up automatically. [/dreaming]

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 01:14 PM

The iPod/iPhone desperately needs "location" settings. Ideally, it would lock the second it was taken out of the dock or off power (e.g. a scenario such as being stolen from your car), but otherwise remain unlocked when being charged (assuming you unlocked it yourself first). There are a lot of little features like this that Apple should be introducing but it looks like we'll have to wait for OS 4 or later to get them, if at all.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 01:15 PM

Iow, for a smart phone, the iPhone is damnably dumb for some things.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2009, 01:26 PM

Interestingly, the car charger I bought for my iPhone, seems to keep it unlocked while it's plugged in. I can get the name and model if anyone's interested.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 01:36 PM

^^^ yeah, what are you using ?

I wonder if this only works with chargers designed for iPhone 3G.
I am using a Belkin Auto Charger for iPod with a Griffin adapter that enabled charging of my iPhone 3G.

-t

daqman  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2009, 01:50 PM

That's interesting. I'm using the charger that came with an Apple branded iPod dock. It's the one that comes with a remote control and there's an IR sensor on the dock. It isn't an iPhone dock or charger.

P.S. I have to laugh that I come up as "Fresh-Faced Recruit" even though I have a join date of Sep 2000. I suppose I don't post very often.
Beware of geeks bearing Gifs

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 02:00 PM

Id' say that's a fair assessment.

Total Posts: 20 (0.01 posts per day)
-t

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 30, 2009, 02:28 PM

This is what I have: GroovePower Auto - Car charger for iPod & iPhone

The iPhone screen dims, but doesn't seem to lock, I had the charger and 3.5" jack plugged in during testing.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2009, 04:46 PM

When you're in Maps, if it's set to follow your location, doesn't the iPhone stay awake?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
When you're in Maps, if it's set to follow your location, doesn't the iPhone stay awake?
Uhm, to be honest, I'm not sure. Gotta check.

Maybe I always fiddled with the map manually (i.e. not set to follow around), and then it switched off.

-t

Phileas
Mac Elite
Jun 30, 2009, 07:44 PM

It does. I use the map feature all the time as a rudimentary GPS system and it works fine that way.

JKT
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 08:04 PM

Not for me it doesn't. Screen always dims and my password lock kicks in after a few minutes. Hmm, thinking about it I have configured my iPhone profile using iPhone Config Utility and set a time limit on the lock so maybe that is why there is a difference for me ...

Steve SpotOn
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2009, 03:15 AM

I think it's down to the individual apps to have this feature. Last FM has it's own category under settings with the ability to 'Disable Auto Lock'.
Google maps won't go to sleep if you have a charger plugged in and it set to follow you (button in bottom left of the screen) - if you then subsequently zoom or hit another button it will go to sleep. At least that's how it works for me.
Steve

Forum Links
Forum Rules