Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Think Secret: "real" video iPod coming.

Think Secret: "real" video iPod coming. (Page 4)
Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 18, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by _kevin
Do screen protectors really sufficiently resist smudging and grease build-up? It seems to me that the screen protector would be subject to the same kind of smudging as the actual screen.

If not, i.e. if the screen protector prevents smudging, it's certainly plausible that Apple will incorporate such technology in their design.

Screen protectors prevent scratching, and they're easily cleanable. When it's too old you just take it off and put on a new one. Apple will not "incorporate such technology in their design".

_kevin
Mar 19, 2006, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker

Screen protectors prevent scratching, and they're easily cleanable. When it's too old you just take it off and put on a new one. Apple will not "incorporate such technology in their design".

I was under the impression that the bigger issue is smudging. It is my understanding that a screen protector will smudge just like an unprotected screen. If screen protectors provide some sort of chemically maintained protection against smudging, it is reasonable that Apple would adopt that same technology into their design for an iPod whose screen is constantly being touched.

A screen protector offers undeniable benefits for protection against scratching; indeed, screen protectors are useful on PDAs, which are directly written on with a stylus. Since a video iPod will probably not support a stylus, I don't see how screen protectors offer much assistance with mitigating smudges and grime. A bare iPod screen is no more difficult to clean that an iPod screen with a protector.
Starting Line: 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook, iPod 5G 60GB, Nikon 3100, AMD 2200 & Intel P3 Winboxes
Honorably Retired: 12" 867MHz Powerbook, Quadra 610, Mac Plus, iPod 3G 20GB
Dishonorabe Discharge:HP AMD 2.4GHz notebook, Toshiba 1.5GHz Intel Pentium-M Centrino notebook

Daveecee
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 01:23 PM

If screen protectors provide some sort of chemically maintained protection against smudging, it is reasonable that Apple would adopt that same technology into their design for an iPod whose screen is constantly being touched.
If screen protectors provide some sort of chemically maintained protection against smudging, it's likely that Apple WOULDN'T incorporate that technology into the iPod. It's reasonable to believe that the chemicals are the reason that people have to replace screen protectors. Chemicals wear off. Why would Apple put chemicals on a screen to protect it when they would just wear off (and probably in almost no time at all).

If you're really that worried about smudging, then either clean your screen meticulously every time you use it, or put a small, thin cloth/tissue over your finger when you're going to use it.

Goldfinger
Professional Poster
Mar 19, 2006, 04:07 PM

I want the next iPod to have a sapphire screen like my watch, would that be expensive ?

iMac 20" C2D 2.16 | Acer Aspire One | Flickr

24klogos
Forum Regular
Mar 19, 2006, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
The other option I suppose is that Apple could just choose to make the 5G wider and include a standard click wheel. Here is my most excellent mockup with a 480x272 3.5" screen:

The mockup above is 3.2" wide. They could also make it 480x360 and it would still fit vertically, and it would be a little less cramped horizontally. A 3.5" 480x360 screen is 2.1x2.8" and 171 PPI.

The dots aren't the same.

woah, that mockup is awesome
"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination."
Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

_kevin
Mar 19, 2006, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Daveecee
Why would Apple put chemicals on a screen to protect it when they would just wear off (and probably in almost no time at all).

If you're really that worried about smudging, then either clean your screen meticulously every time you use it, or put a small, thin cloth/tissue over your finger when you're going to use it.
I'm not a chem major; I was only suggesting that if there were a way to reliably reduce or prevent smudging (be it chemical, biological, nuclear, etc.), I would hope Apple would use it. I'm sure there are smudge resistant surfaces that would conduct properly enough to facilitate a touch screen.
Starting Line: 15" 1.25GHz Powerbook, iPod 5G 60GB, Nikon 3100, AMD 2200 & Intel P3 Winboxes
Honorably Retired: 12" 867MHz Powerbook, Quadra 610, Mac Plus, iPod 3G 20GB
Dishonorabe Discharge:HP AMD 2.4GHz notebook, Toshiba 1.5GHz Intel Pentium-M Centrino notebook

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2006, 02:57 AM

Eug, the current 5g any wider cannot be held in anyones hand and expect them to reach the scroll wheel.

"Barwaraaawww"

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 10:05 AM

I'm not a chem major; I was only suggesting that if there were a way to reliably reduce or prevent smudging (be it chemical, biological, nuclear, etc.), I would hope Apple would use it. I'm sure there are smudge resistant surfaces that would conduct properly enough to facilitate a touch screen.
I believe the smudgiong is a result of the oil on your fingers smearing on the surface. Unless you surgically alter your skin to stop excreting oil you're pretty much out of luck.

So what are the odds of this new iPod coming out? I'm in a market of a new iPod so I need to get an idea if I should hold off or get what's offered right now.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 20, 2006, 10:16 AM

Mind as well just wait, I mean by April 1st we should see something. I'm sure you can wait until then...

Aiglos
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2006, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by F*ckDell
Mind as well just wait, I mean by April 1st we should see something. I'm sure you can wait until then...
April 1st?

i can wait till then.

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 20, 2006, 02:04 PM

HAHA, I can't wait until they release the new Intel Power Towers... belieeeve me... its driving me crazy!

One thing I am pumped about is Mac Mini becoming Media Centers and a possibility of downloading HD Movies right onto the Mini... iTunes just has to stop charging per download and just make it a monthly fee!

I'd pay a cool 30 bills a month to download anything I wanted... Movies, TV showes, Music, Music Videos, etc...

quiklee
Senior User
Mar 20, 2006, 03:23 PM

I just heard that the new ipod video isn't going to be coming out until the fall to take full advantage and maximize the sales of the current ipod video and the upcoming holiday season! . . . . i could say I got it from someone in cupertino, but honestly . . who's gonna believe me? hahaha . . . take it for what it's worth
I am part of Lakers Nation and love to buy Used Golf Clubs

F*ckDell
Banned
Mar 20, 2006, 05:24 PM

It sucks... but we'll just have to wait and see what those ass holes at Apple have planned for us........ bastards

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 22, 2006, 12:21 AM

Quanta will be making the next batch of video iPods according to Forbes.com, for delivery next month:

"Quanta Computer Inc has secured contracts from Apple Computer for the manufacture of video iPod devices, the Economic Daily News reported, without citing sources.

Quanta Computer, the world's leading contract maker of notebook personal computers, has won certification for its output and will begin delivery from next month.
"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Apr 13, 2006, 11:46 AM

TS: Not until Q4

Think Secret disclosed in early February Apple's true video iPod intentions, which include a wide-screen display spanning the entire front of the iPod with a touch screen interface that is being billed by Apple as a "virtual track wheel." At that time Think Secret had been tracking a late March or April release.

Sources speaking on condition of anonymity say issues emerged with the technology that have sent Apple and the display's manufacturer back to the drawing board to find a solution. As such, a more definitive release date is unknown at this time, but sources say Apple expects the new iPod to be ready by calendar Q4, in enough time for the holiday buying season.

Forum Links
Forum Rules