Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Air SuperDrive and Time Capsule

MacBook Air SuperDrive and Time Capsule
Hg2491
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 06:20 PM

Wouldn't it be awesome for MacBook Air user's to be able to plug their SuperDrives into Time Capsules?
I know that you can use another PC or Mac instead of the SuperDrive, but not everyone has two computers.

What do you guys think?

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 15, 2008, 08:14 PM

It would be great if the external SuperDrive worked with... anything but the MacBook Air.

Like a MacBook Pro, or a USB hub, or Time Capsule, or a random PC, or, you know, everything else with a USB port on it.

Hg2491  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 15, 2008, 09:33 PM

That would be great. I have a first generation 1099 MacBook that has a Combo Drive; it would come in handy.

jwpacker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 15, 2008, 10:59 PM

My understanding is that the reason that the Air Superdrive won't work with other computers is that the USB port in the Air provides more power than the USB standard. Which has made me wonder if it wouldn't work with another unit if used in conjunction with one of those dual-usb cables, where one carries power and data, and the other provides supplemental power.

Anyone tried that before?

Forum Links
Forum Rules