Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Wearing medical scrubs in public

Wearing medical scrubs in public
design219
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 12:47 PM

Does this bother anyone, or is it just me?

I go out for lunch and see a number of people wearing medical scrubs. I don't know if these people are from the hospital, clinics, dentist offices, labs, vets, or where. Are they to lazy to change for lunch, trying to show off, or what?

I don't like eating next to someone why may have just left a grizzly medical procedure, or do I want to be treated by someone who has mustard on their scrubs. I thought the purpose of wearing scrubs was to keep the medical environment clean. Am I missing something? Anybody else seen this behavior?

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 12:50 PM

Somehow I doubt someone who left a grizzly medical procedure is wearing the same scrubs. As for the rest, I imagine it's the same laziness that keeps a construction worker from changing out of his sweaty dirty clothes or a lawyer from his fine suit.

ANything else i can help you with today?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 12:50 PM

I see it all the time on the T. But usually it's people who are commuting to or from Mass General Hospital.

Do you go to work in street clothes and then change into a suit/business casual/whatever at the office? Why should they?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 12:59 PM

In many cases, scrubs are used as a uniform in medical offices, even people who don't have direct physical contact with patients. (receptionists/billing personnel). You don't expect anyone who wears a uniform (police, construction, etc.) to change into street clothes to go out to eat?

And if there is a "grizzly medical procedure" (I'm guessing you're talking surgery), they usually gown up in sterile gowns on top of their scrubs to maintain a sterile environment.
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
ANything else i can help you with today?
I have an annoying itch I can't reach between my shoulder blades.

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
I have an annoying itch I can't reach between my shoulder blades.

Buttscratcher?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
You don't expect anyone who wears a uniform (police, construction, etc.) to change into street clothes to go out to eat?
Yes, I see your all's points, but the medical profession seems a little different than your typical uniformed professional. Why wear scrubs at all if not to give the appearance of a clean environment?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 01:09 PM

You said appearance, not reality. Wearing scrubs when they don't need to gives exactly that. Your seeing them at you local Pantera bread let's you know about the reality.
Yes that was on purpose.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2008, 01:47 PM

If you see people in scrubs, it probably means that they have left some clinical setting for lunch, NOT that they've just left some messy and stomach-churning procedure. In procedures, one is gowned, wears shoe covers, a hair net and gloves; nothing they wear on the street is exposed.

On the other hand, scrubs aren't something I'd wear outside of work, lunch and maybe a stop on the way home. It's a work uniform to me, and one that has a particular purpose. The thing about scrubs is that they are supposed to be easy to move in, easy to wear and easy to clean, making them very appropriate for a clinical setting. If one is going to be doing ANYTHING more involved than just touching a patient, one will be wearing a lot of other stuff, including gowns and such.

Last time I wore scrubs was in a rehab unit at a local hospital; the therapist who was training me and I often wound up serving the patients their lunches because the nursing staff usually had specific procedures they needed to do right at lunch time (blood sugars and such) and there were only so many nurses around. We wore scrubs to treat patients and to serve them their lunches-and they KNEW what sort of things were going on on that unit.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 02:20 PM

I dunno, I work for a hospital, so I'm used to seeing folks in scrubs

Is it any different then seeing folks walking around in the pajama bottoms. I saw one young girl on the train this past winter in those pajama bottoms, and flip flops. The problem was that it was cold and wet, flip flops and light attire is for the summer.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 02:28 PM

It would bother me more if people started going out for lunch and whatnot wearing hospital gowns. A little butt cleaveage on a hit chick is nice but it can be overdone.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mithras
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:16 PM

...may have just left a grizzly medical procedure...
Grizzly medical procedure:

When my wife was in medical school, she, her colleagues, (and I) would wear scrubs all the time. Though the hospital had a problem with people taking them to wear at home, so they made them as ugly as possible, with the hospital's name stamped all over the place.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 04:19 PM

Speaking of as ugly as possible, if I was a nurse I'd never be caught in public with one of their smocks.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

trying to show off
Ya, nurses are soooooo cool!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
Is it any different then seeing folks walking around in the pajama bottoms. I saw one young girl on the train this past winter in those pajama bottoms, and flip flops. The problem was that it was cold and wet, flip flops and light attire is for the summer.
She must be taking fashion advice from The Dude

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Ya, nurses are soooooo cool!
I've saw a couple guys I know to be physicians at McDonalds earlier this week. The scrubs were not as odd as the thought of medical doctors eating there at all.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 22, 2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
She must be taking fashion advice from The Dude
Pretty much

Tomchu
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 06:30 PM

I'm sure it's a show-off thing for some ...

just like the asshats who rip by in their toy Asian cars with fartcans bolted on, elitist d-bags who walk around all over the place with those effing Bluetooth headsets TALKING LIKE THIS, and stuck-up snobs who whip out their iPhones every 15 seconds for no purpose whatsoever other than to subtly point out to anyone near by that they have an iPhone.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 06:39 PM

I wear a straight jacket out in public. People look at me all weird like I just escape from a mental institution or something.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 06:40 PM

The scrubs don't bother me, but the Crocs do.

Randman
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2008, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tomchu View Post
stuck-up snobs who whip out their iPhones every 15 seconds for no purpose whatsoever other than to subtly point out to anyone near by that they have an iPhone.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2008, 07:49 PM

Are they to lazy to change for lunch, trying to show off, or what?
When I worked in theatres I used to wear my blues to lunch. Buggered if I'm going to spend 10 minutes of my 30 minute lunch break getting changed. If I was going further than 200 metres from the hospital I'd get into my street gear.

And I wouldn't wear "scrubs", as you call them, on the bus home. That's just weird.

Staff are in and out of theatres all day for a variety of reasons. Getting changed every time you leave simply isn't feasible.

climber
Mac Elite
May 22, 2008, 08:27 PM

It's better than walking around with a hospital gown in public.
climber

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
May 23, 2008, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by climber View Post
It's better than walking around with a hospital gown in public.
Or when people go skiing they keep the ski lift tags on their coat for a while after to show off they went skiing. Whenever I see someone who does that I make a scene and rip it off for them.

Even worse when people keep that plastic medical bracelet on their wrists for days after they get out of hospital.

as2
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 09:24 AM

Worse than people in scrubs, is patients stood or sat in wheelchairs outside the front of hospitals in the UK smoking. You have to walk through a haze of smoke to get into the hospital!
[img=http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/1300/desktj.jpg]

Atheist
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by as2 View Post
You have to walk through a haze of smoke to get into the hospital!
Which explains why they should just let them smoke inside the hospital!

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2008, 02:49 PM

Is this thread really happening? Did someone break the internet?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

cybergoober
Mac Elite
May 23, 2008, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
You said appearance, not reality. Wearing scrubs when they don't need to gives exactly that. Your seeing them at you local Pantera bread let's you know about the reality.
Yes that was on purpose.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2008, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Which explains why they should just let them smoke inside the hospital!
I hope you're joking. The carbon monoxide in cigarette smoke impairs healing, can result in enough reduction in blood oxygen saturation that people with asthma or congestive heart failure could actually lose consciousness, and a whole host of other things.

The ideal is to not allow ANY smoking ANYWHERE NEAR the hospital. But this "smokers clustered around the entrance" thing is not just about hospitals. It's about exceptionally rude smokers who don't give a damn about other people having to try to breathe while they go in or out of whatever the building is.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2008, 11:13 PM

Or exceptionally rude (OK, exaggeration* to mirror Glenn's original post) non-smokers who don't give a damn about other people having to smoke without walking to another area code? Honestly, cars mess up my breathing much worse than some guy smoking five feet away, but I don't campaign to get those banished from my sight. All the disrespect aimed at smokers seems a bit unfair to me.

*Note: I don't actually think this is exceptionally rude. It's merely inconsiderate in the way people normally are towards people with different habits that they find distasteful.
( Last edited by Chuckit; May 23, 2008 at 11:23 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2008, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by cybergoober View Post

Nice catch.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2008, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Or exceptionally rude (OK, exaggeration* to mirror Glenn's original post) non-smokers who don't give a damn about other people having to smoke without walking to another area code? Honestly, cars mess up my breathing much worse than some guy smoking five feet away, but I don't campaign to get those banished from my sight. All the disrespect aimed at smokers seems a bit unfair to me.

*Note: I don't actually think this is exceptionally rude. It's merely inconsiderate in the way people normally are towards people with different habits that they find distasteful.
I grew up in a home where both of my parents smoked. After I left home I avoided smoke as much as possible, and eventually managed to avoid it altogether. Now, when I'm exposed to cigarette smoke, it causes some pretty severe reactions; I have problems breathing, my eyes water, my nose clogs up, etc. What I'm calling rude is the way most smokers don't even consider that their smoke is a problem for anyone—in spite of the fact that they're required to go outside to smoke. So they stick right next to the door. It seems very petty to me.

My mother smoked for WAY too long, but she was a "polite" smoker. She'd go out of her way to NOT be a problem to nonsmokers. Because of her I know it's possible to be polite and smoke, but I don't see that happen very much at all. And because the people I see standing right in the door smoking like there's no tomorrow seem to be making a statement by doing that, I react by making my own statement. I may be wrong about their motivations, but I am certainly impacted by their behaviors.

misc
May 24, 2008, 09:50 AM

I wouldn't even think twice about changing from my theatre blacks into street clothes nor would I expect hospital employees to.

"And after we are through, ten years in making it to be the most of glorious debuts."

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I grew up in a home where both of my parents smoked. After I left home I avoided smoke as much as possible, and eventually managed to avoid it altogether. Now, when I'm exposed to cigarette smoke, it causes some pretty severe reactions; I have problems breathing, my eyes water, my nose clogs up, etc. What I'm calling rude is the way most smokers don't even consider that their smoke is a problem for anyone—in spite of the fact that they're required to go outside to smoke. So they stick right next to the door. It seems very petty to me.

My mother smoked for WAY too long, but she was a "polite" smoker. She'd go out of her way to NOT be a problem to nonsmokers. Because of her I know it's possible to be polite and smoke, but I don't see that happen very much at all. And because the people I see standing right in the door smoking like there's no tomorrow seem to be making a statement by doing that, I react by making my own statement. I may be wrong about their motivations, but I am certainly impacted by their behaviors.
Perhaps smokers where you are smoke a lot closer to the door than they do anywhere I've been. When you said "next to the door," I was thinking five feet away or so like every smoker I've ever known. If they're actually smoking physically in the doorway and blowing smoke in your face, I see the problem.
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2008, 01:07 PM

Perhaps smokers where you are smoke a lot closer to the door than they do anywhere I've been. When you said "next to the door," I was thinking five feet away or so like every smoker I've ever known. If they're actually smoking physically in the doorway and blowing smoke in your face, I see the problem.
"In the door" is a mild exaggeration. Right next to the door, where they can feel the A/C blowing out is very accurate.

red rocket
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 04:51 AM

What pisses me off more than people wearing scrubs in public is off-duty soldiers wearing uniforms or fatigues in public. I keep hearing military people complaining in the media that people should be respecting them, but since I don’t live in a ****ing war zone, I say the bastards can keep their militarist costumes in the bloody wardrobe when they’re not off in some 3rd world country shooting brown people. Respect, **** that.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2008, 04:55 AM

and don't get me started about Klan members at the supermarket. If you aren't burning a cross, keep it to yourself.

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
What pisses me off more than people wearing scrubs in public is off-duty soldiers wearing uniforms or fatigues in public. I keep hearing military people complaining in the media that people should be respecting them, but since I don’t live in a ****ing war zone, I say the bastards can keep their militarist costumes in the bloody wardrobe when they’re not off in some 3rd world country shooting brown people. Respect, **** that.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Those military people are part of your community, so why should they NOT use the grocery store on the way home from their duty day? At least you notice them, which is saying something. Calling a duty uniform a "militarist costume" is an affront to every single GI who has voluntarily worn a uniform and defended his or her country in the face of imminent danger. I wore a uniform for over 23 years, and was proud to defend even the idiots who would rather have safe and comfy tyranny (like that ever really happens) than uncomfortable freedom.

Your lack of respect for people who face down "brown people" whose aim is to physically destroy them and everything they stand for (like your right to voice your opinion of them) is discouraging. Maybe if you actually had a clue about what you're talking about it might make a difference...

Yes, you got me started. On the eve of Memorial Day of all days, don't you think you might just consider how many people have died just so you can be rude about their sacrifice?

design219  (op)
Professional Poster
May 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

You showed remarkable restraint. Well done, and well said.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 12:31 PM

Yes, Glenn, well put.

I'd probably have handed out an infraction. Calling them bastards and alluding to them shooting people out of racist motives is more than I'd wanna read in the Lounge about.

-t

James L
Mac Elite
May 25, 2008, 02:01 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Those military people are part of your community, so why should they NOT use the grocery store on the way home from their duty day? At least you notice them, which is saying something. Calling a duty uniform a "militarist costume" is an affront to every single GI who has voluntarily worn a uniform and defended his or her country in the face of imminent danger. I wore a uniform for over 23 years, and was proud to defend even the idiots who would rather have safe and comfy tyranny (like that ever really happens) than uncomfortable freedom.

Your lack of respect for people who face down "brown people" whose aim is to physically destroy them and everything they stand for (like your right to voice your opinion of them) is discouraging. Maybe if you actually had a clue about what you're talking about it might make a difference...

Yes, you got me started. On the eve of Memorial Day of all days, don't you think you might just consider how many people have died just so you can be rude about their sacrifice?
Considering the incredible level of ignorance in red rocket's post I am seriously impressed with the tact in your reply.

Thanks for your years of service. Don't feel you always need to be so restrained here!

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 02:27 PM

That restraint comes from years of not having enough of it and paying for it in ways I can't even describe. Oh he lit my fire! But I'm OK now, really I am.

Going from one form of service career to another has shown me that there is very little difference between any industry and any other industry. There's a uniform (if you don't think most office workers wear a uniform, suggest that they wear a flowered shirt and shorts to work on Tuesday and see what their reaction is), there's a basic set of responsibilities, and there's always someone demanding that you do much more with much less. The biggest difference I see in the health care industry is that people's titles are different. Instead of Major Smith and Colonel Jones, I'll be talking to Dr. Smith and Dr. Jones... I guess I'll fit in fine. In scrubs.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2008, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
and don't get me started about Klan members at the supermarket. If you aren't burning a cross, keep it to yourself.

Tiresias
May 25, 2008, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I saw one young girl on the train this past winter in those pajama bottoms, and flip flops.
That's Hot.™

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
That's Hot.™
Only if she's not shivering. I saw a few guys on campus early in the year wearing shorts, tees and sandals on a day when we had quite a cold snap. I guess they were too cool to shiver, but they looked very out of place.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
May 25, 2008, 06:47 PM

I'm going to add to the thanks for both your restraint and your reply. The fact that my day clothes are covered in oddly-colored splotches does not make them any less legitimate of a working outfit. Same with scrubs, as a matter of fact. It's a matter of convenience; neither we nor the vast majority of the people you'll see in scrubs are trying to impress you.

Ghporter, thank you for your service.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

Tiresias
May 25, 2008, 06:51 PM

Like people wearing woolen beanies in summer.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2008, 09:10 PM

(if you don't think most office workers wear a uniform, suggest that they wear a flowered shirt and shorts to work on Tuesday and see what their reaction is)
Me and a couple of buddies at the office used to do that every Wednesday. Got some odd looks, but nothing more than that. Fortunately, we sat far away from where the customers roam.
Chuck
___

ghporter
Administrator
May 25, 2008, 09:36 PM

Me and a couple of buddies at the office used to do that every Wednesday. Got some odd looks, but nothing more than that. Fortunately, we sat far away from where the customers roam.
I'll say that my crew was "less than careful" about our uniforms when we were working on the Ft. Kobe receiver site in Panama. We had something like 50 acres of antenna farm around us, and ANYONE who wanted to come visit us had to call first so we could let them into the fence. Same sort of situation—whenever "people" saw us, we were as sharp as all get out. No flowery shirts, mind you, but the uniform blouse (that's the BDU shirt for those of you without military experience) was definitely NOT worn unless we had company.

Cold Warrior
May 25, 2008, 11:58 PM

I'll say that my crew was "less than careful" about our uniforms when we were working on the Ft. Kobe receiver site in Panama. We had something like 50 acres of antenna farm around us, and ANYONE who wanted to come visit us had to call first so we could let them into the fence. Same sort of situation—whenever "people" saw us, we were as sharp as all get out. No flowery shirts, mind you, but the uniform blouse (that's the BDU shirt for those of you without military experience) was definitely NOT worn unless we had company.
In Iraq, we'd remove the name tape and, often, the rank, when we were "outside the wire" or working around non-Coalition forces.

Forum Links
Forum Rules