Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > The Silver Apple Laptop

The Silver Apple Laptop
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 03:09 PM

For years now, I've seen the silver Apple pro laptop, whether it be the MacBook Pro or PowerBook, as they share the same visual cues, in magazine ads, newspaper ads, on TV, and even on the back of cereal boxes. It has been an incredibly popular picture laptop, even if the program it was being used to advertise for didn't even support Mac's. I drooled over it for all those years, swearing I'd have it one day. Well, I still don't have the money, and now its replaced.

Basically, I'll miss seeing it around.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

savoirfaire
Oct 17, 2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
For years now, I've seen the silver Apple pro laptop, whether it be the MacBook Pro or PowerBook, as they share the same visual cues, in magazine ads, newspaper ads, on TV, and even on the back of cereal boxes. It has been an incredibly popular picture laptop, even if the program it was being used to advertise for didn't even support Mac's. I drooled over it for all those years, swearing I'd have it one day. Well, I still don't have the money, and now its replaced.

Basically, I'll miss seeing it around.
I'm not sure if I'm missing your point, but the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros still have pretty much the same "silver" appearance on top...

( Last edited by savoirfaire; Oct 17, 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Added photo)

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 03:20 PM

If you really like the older generations that much there are still used ones you can buy which will also be cheaper since you said you can't afford a new one anyway.

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by savoirfaire View Post
I'm not sure if I'm missing your point, but the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros still have pretty much the same "silver" appearance on top...
I know, but it's not the same.

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
If you really like the older generations that much there are still used ones you can buy which will also be cheaper since you said you can't afford a new one anyway.
No I'm all for the next generation and the best of the best. Its like saying goodbye to an old faithful computer to get a new one, only I ever owned it. You want the new one, but hate to see the old one go.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 06:58 PM

No I'm all for the next generation and the best of the best. Its like saying goodbye to an old faithful computer to get a new one, only I ever owned it. You want the new one, but hate to see the old one go.
I guess you really want to buy only the latest generations because there are still brand new previous generation models out there for sale...just not from Apple. It's just like buying a car. When the new models come out you can either decide if you like the previous or new model. Technically they are both new until all the inventory for previous models have been sold out. Also the new models aren't exactly light years ahead in technology compared to the recent previous generation so that's more of a personal opinion on how much better they really are.

But I understand where you are coming from. We live in a society that likes the latest and greatest even if there hasn't been much of an improvement from past generations. I'm speaking generally of all electronics when I say that. Although in your case you seem to have your heart set on getting the previous MBP. That might be more important to you in the long run instead of getting the best of the best which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense if you don't use your computer to it's full performance potential. I've always found it funny when some people buy top of the line computers just to surf the internet and do word processing...

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 17, 2008, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by EndlessMac View Post
I've always found it funny when some people buy top of the line computers just to surf the internet and do word processing...
My best answer for that is because they can.

EndlessMac
Senior User
Oct 17, 2008, 09:53 PM

My best answer for that is because they can.
There's nothing exactly wrong with that because they can do whatever they want with their money. It's just that in your case if you have your heart set on the previous generation then you need to decide if the new ones are that much better than the old ones.

Forum Links
Forum Rules