Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 23)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I miss about 50% of invites because I hate quitting mid-match, and no one wants to wait around for an invitee (and I don't blame 'em).

I just wish it wouldn't delete the invite after you try to accept it and fail due to the party being in mid-match.
I try and give people a minute or two. By the same token, I don't expect anyone to wait around for me. It'd be nice if there was a status screen like Halo that showed time remaining.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 04:05 PM

Finished with Borderlands?
Don't you mean Dragon Age: OriginsĀ®?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I try and give people a minute or two. By the same token, I don't expect anyone to wait around for me. It'd be nice if there was a status screen like Halo that showed time remaining.
Exactly. No one minds waiting around for one minute. But if it COULD be 5 minutes, you can forget about it.

Don't you mean Dragon Age: OriginsĀ®?
I saw him on Borderlands a few times too.

I just got home and within two matches had my personal best. I went 19-2-2, which isn't my highest death count or killstreak, but was my best K/D game, unless I'm forgetting. I'm developing a love for the Pavelow killstreak, BTW. Not as satisfying as a Chopper Gunner, but definitely lasts longer while I run around the map, trying to find guys with Stingers or others camping/hiding indoors

We should have a three favorite class set-up thread (or just continue this one with it). I'm curious to know what you guys are using most often.
( Last edited by Jawbone54; Jan 14, 2010 at 07:51 PM. )

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 07:36 PM

We should have a three favorite class set-up thread (or just continue this one with it). I'm curious to know what you guys are using most often.
I'll start

"Pew pew"
Primary: M16 Holographic / HBS
Secondary: RPG
Equipment: Claymore
P1: Bling Pro
P2: Stopping Power Pro
P3: Ninja Pro

This is my main class, I usually find a nice spot and use the Claymore to cover my back while I pop off.

"ninja"
Primary: SCAR Silenced
Secondary: Rafica Extended Mags
P1: Scavenger Pro
P2: Cold Blooded Pro
P3: Ninja Pro

I use this on smaller maps, and when there's a lot of air support coming from the other team. I get a lot of kills spamming claymores in high traffic areas.

"sharp"
Primary: Barret .50 Cal Silenced / Thermal
Secondary: M1014 Grip / Extended Mags
P1: Bling Pro
P2: Stopping Power Pro
P3: Steady Aim Pro

My sniper class, I do good work with the shotgun, too.

Kill-streaks: Harrier / Pavelow / AC-130
( Last edited by boy8cookie; Jan 14, 2010 at 07:46 PM. )

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 04:38 AM

I used the shotgun for the first time tonight. The funny thing is my GoW2 reflex kicked in and I tried to 2-piece the guy during my first kill.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 10:42 AM

That is classic, stogie.

Anyone used the FAL much? I unlocked it last night, and had planned on making it my first Thermal weapon, but the damn thing is difficult to use. It's more like a unscoped sniper than a FAMAS, which I wasn't prepared for. And the sights are terrible.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 11:21 AM

Anyone used the FAL much? I unlocked it last night, and had planned on making it my first Thermal weapon, but the damn thing is difficult to use. It's more like a unscoped sniper than a FAMAS, which I wasn't prepared for. And the sights are terrible.
As it's a one-shot assault rifle, I've stayed away from it. I'll have to check out what the sights look like. I did use it in single-player once or twice and it was useful for shooting the odd guy on the roof. The FAMAS probably hs the best sight. The ACR's sight I found confusing at first, it having the cross. I didn't know at firsst whether to use t he tip of the sight or the cross.

So far I've stayed away from the thermal sight and heart-beat sensor most of the time. The heart-beat sensor is a distraction to me, although it does tell you if someone is close. It doesn't tell you if they are on the same level as you or one floor up. The thermal sight is probably a better use as it shows you if there is somebody there (ex. the bunker or cave on Afghan.) but it doesn't show detail. But I know I've sworn a few times because someone only got me because they were using a thermal scope. They wouldn't have known I was there otherwise.

Have you got a favourite SMG, Dakar?

In this prestige, I've been using the UMP, it's not bad, but it seems to jump up as it it's being shot. I was thinking of trying the UZI or one of the others next time.
( Last edited by Leonard; Jan 15, 2010 at 11:28 AM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 11:22 AM

That is classic, stogie.

Nope, I've completely skipped over the FAL. I don't like single fire weapons in this game other than sniper rifles. And like you said, the sights are horrible. I generally try out every gun, if for nothing else than to complete challenges, but this is one that I don't care to bother with at all. You are at too much of a disadvantage unless you simply try to use it as a sniper rifle.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
As it's a one-shot assault rifle, I've stayed away from it. I'll have to check out what the sights look like. I did use it in single-player once or twice and it was useful for shooting the odd guy on the roof.

So far I've stayed away from the thermal sight and heart-beat sensor most of the time. The heart-beat sensor is a distraction to me, although it does tell you if someone is close. It doesn't tell you if they are on the same level as you or one floor up. The thermal sight is probably a better use as it shows you if there is somebody there (ex. the bunker or cave on Afghan.) but it doesn't show detail. But I know I've sworn a few times because someone only got me because they were using a thermal scope. They wouldn't have known I was there otherwise.
The way I see it, the thermal scope only really helps you to locate people you generally might overlook. I can see it being useful on a sniper rifle, but not on assault rifles. I've tried it (once) and didn't like it at all. I now prefer the Holo scope on my assault rifles.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 11:31 AM

My general idea was to use it occasionally on maps such as Underpass, Afghan (caves and bunkers), Highrise, and Wasteland. I suppose I may just wait til I get the M21 again.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I've tried it (once) and didn't like it at all. I now prefer the Holo scope on my assault rifles.
Yeah, I tried once or twice, but didn't like it. I tend to stay with the reddot, but I've used the holo scope too and find it good too.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 02:41 PM

So far I've stayed away from the thermal sight and heart-beat sensor most of the time. The heart-beat sensor is a distraction to me, although it does tell you if someone is close.
Yes, that's true. I find it's only worthwhile on Terminal, though it was semi-useful for the time I used it on Wasteland.

But I know I've sworn a few times because someone only got me because they were using a thermal scope. They wouldn't have known I was there otherwise.
Exactly why I want it for Underpass. It could be quite useful for those ****ers in warehouse, thought visibility is kind of shaky in lots of places.

Have you got a favourite SMG, Dakar?
By and large they're useless (Skidrow and Favela are about the only maps I'd see them useful on) But if I had to pick one, nothing compares to the UMP.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 02:42 PM

Is there an advantage of using the holo scope over the red dot? I really don't see much of a difference between the two.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 02:44 PM

I was about to bitch, I find the Holographic's support structure about 10x more obtrusive than the red dot's. The rest is personal taste.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Is there an advantage of using the holo scope over the red dot? I really don't see much of a difference between the two.
Some people over on AVS Forums theorize that the Holo results in faster/better target acquisition than the RDS. Something about the target area being bigger. I haven't done any direct comparisons myself to be able to confirm this.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 04:54 PM

I've heard some say they prefer the holo because it has a smaller red dot than the red dot sight.

I had a strange thing happen last night with my Stinger. I fired at a harrier twice and both times I missed. Both times I had a lock on. I don't get it.

I'm used to the helicopters and AC130 throwing out flares/chaff to throw off a stinger, but a harrier doesn't do that, and usually on the second shot you get a helicopter.

On the second shot on the harrier it looked like the harrier climbed or dodged or something.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 05:00 PM

Lock-ons are not a guarantee. That said, some people in the forums claim Harriers have become much more difficult lately.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 10:48 PM

Anyone gonna be on over the weekend? I have no plans this weekend, except to watch the NFL playoffs.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2010, 12:08 AM

By and large they're useless (Skidrow and Favela are about the only maps I'd see them useful on) But if I had to pick one, nothing compares to the UMP.
I've been using the UMP SMG on smaller maps like Rust, Highrise, and Scrapyard with some success. I use the attachments rapidfire and FMJ with it.But I must say I prefer an assault rifle or light machine gun over an SMG. The SMG has no accuracy and is a close-up weapon.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 16, 2010, 04:42 PM

FYI: I am going to be on most of the evening and night. My buddy's brother -in-law is going over to his place and they're going to take turns while partied with me. (He's a 2.0 k/d on PSN for judging purposes).

---

Good times last night, wish we had snuck the Bogues and apsolid combo for a few games. That game on Terminal was ridiculous. Loved it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 16, 2010, 05:53 PM

I enjoyed myself even though I joined up late. I had to keep my mic on mute 95% of the time, since the in-laws and wife were talking (loudly) on my left and right the entire time I played. I couldn't even hear you guys half the time. I had some horrid matches and two decent ones, along with one really satisfying mid-range knife throw kill on an incoming double-shotty jerk. And yes...that Terminal match was sick.

Good times, good times. I love this game.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2010, 05:57 PM

I definitely had fun last night. Tried out some new combinations, found one I really like:
M21 Silenced
M1014 Grip
Claymore
Scavenger Pro
Cold Blooded Pro
Ninja Pro

It's really effective on Underpass, and it's decent on High Rise too.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2010, 01:54 AM

I felt like Dakar, if only for a little while...

Then I went right back to my 15-15 ways.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 02:11 AM

Boy, I stink at this game. Dove into multiplayer after beating the campaign this weekend and so far most of my kills are coming from people running directly in front of me without noticing.
( Last edited by SpaceMonkey; Jan 18, 2010 at 02:18 AM. )

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 05:09 AM

I've started hitting the 500 kills sweet spot for the ARs. Think that I'll put them away for a bit and go through the SMGs with my crazy commando class. Anyone else go through the LMGs? It seems to take a very long blast to put anyone down with anything other than the RPD or AUG.

I played quite alot of L4D2 over the weekend. Must say that it felt good to get back onto MW2 on Sunday. I saw over 900K on MW2 on XBL last night. Nice to see that it still quite popular. Oh and still plenty of noobs around. Be nice to see some new maps before March though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
I've started hitting the 500 kills sweet spot for the ARs. Think that I'll put them away for a bit and go through the SMGs with my crazy commando class. Anyone else go through the LMGs? It seems to take a very long blast to put anyone down with anything other than the RPD or AUG.
I quickly gave up on the LMGs. I liked the RPD at first, but couldn't stand the reload times.

I played quite alot of L4D2 over the weekend. Must say that it felt good to get back onto MW2 on Sunday. I saw over 900K on MW2 on XBL last night. Nice to see that it still quite popular. Oh and still plenty of noobs around. Be nice to see some new maps before March though.
Is that to say you don't care much for L4D2? I've been thinking about purchasing it in about another month or so.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 12:28 PM

I do like L4D2, but its very difficult solo. Apparently, I'm not the only one who experienced this - see the L4D demo thread. I didn't enjoy shooting zombies as much in WaW.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 12:40 PM

Best line from last night:

On Estate
Announcer: UAV online.
Friend: Hey, they're still all in the house.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 01:58 PM

On Estate
Announcer: UAV online.
Friend: Hey, they're still all in the house.

Yeah, someone's usually in the house.

But you gotta always watch out for the sneaky guy that isn't in the house.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 02:00 PM

I actually noted that right after he commented.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 02:03 PM

I played a few of the solo Special Ops missions. Not bad, a little shorter than I expected. But I'm glad they're shorter to play than the Halo ODST Firefight missions. I'd rather have shorter missions, they're easy to replay.

I was surprised to find I actually like the Sniper Fi mission. Although it's not all about sniping, but uses predator missiles too.
MacBook Pro

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2010, 04:47 PM

I'm having trouble finding a weapon to go with my "ninja" class. I want to use Bling, making the weapon silenced w/ HBS... but all of the assault rifles run out of ammo too quickly for that to be effective, especially without stopping power. I tried the RPD, but, without the grip, it bounces around too much. Any ideas?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 04:51 PM

I make the sacrifice to go blinged. I find the FAMAS or ACR can make ammo last the longest. After that I pick up someone else's weapon.

I'm also experimenting with the FAL. It's pretty good silenced, but the weapon requires you to have excellent aim and reflexes to be effective.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 05:09 PM

I make the sacrifice to go blinged. I find the FAMAS or ACR can make ammo last the longest. After that I pick up someone else's weapon.
I usually go with a FAMAS or M16, silenced and reddot. Sometimes I'll use the ACR. Bling Pro, Cold-blooded Pro and Ninja Pro. As a secondary I usually use a PP2000 with silencer and reddot or a Stinger. I've been using the Stinger more, this prestige.

For a laugh, you have to try the HBR or RPD with a silencer. It works, but It's just hilarious that you can spew all those bullets out.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 05:10 PM

If you want more stopping power without the stopping power perk, could you not go with an FMJ. I always thought FMJ added more power to your shots.
MacBook Pro

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2010, 05:41 PM

Finally prestiged a few nights back. Haven't got to play much lately with long work hours but managed a 65-29 game with my level 8 FAMAS with no attachments.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 05:48 PM

or a laugh, you have to try the HBR or RPD with a silencer. It works, but It's just hilarious that you can spew all those bullets out.
As mentioned earlier, a silenced RPD is one of my classes.

If you want more stopping power without the stopping power perk, could you not go with an FMJ. I always thought FMJ added more power to your shots.
No, no, no. The stat bars are a lie.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 18, 2010, 05:58 PM

I think I just had a brilliant idea.

We need to do a private match of throwing knives only.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jan 18, 2010, 06:12 PM

I'm down for that

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 07:28 PM

M16 is a great weapon for Bling. Even the iron sights are good. I like silencer + red-dot for std TDM when using Bling.

Tonight the clan that I'm in did private matches, 18 of us : CTF with knives only, Demolition with Intervention only, TDM with USP.45s only then with just shields and then we tried to do noob tubes only but it turned into a clusterfook. Its amazing how childish grown men can be

Oh yeah, we've entered a tournament, TDM and S&D matches. Strangely its a 5 man team.
They've been really clever and picked me as captain

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
M16 is a great weapon for Bling. Even the iron sights are good. I like silencer + red-dot for std TDM when using Bling.
I use the iron sight alot, but if I can have a reddot, I prefer it.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2010, 12:34 PM

M16 has terrible iron sights. If you're going to use a burst weapon sightless, use the damn FAMAS.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2010, 01:05 PM

Well another Tuesday is upon us, and that means tonight is my video game night.

I'll be on from 6-12 EST.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2010, 05:16 PM

Oh, sure, twist my arm to play.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 05:20 PM

Yeah sure. Why not. At this rate, I'll never finish the single player campaign on Veteran.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2010, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Yeah sure. Why not. At this rate, I'll never finish the single player campaign on Veteran.
Never finish! I'll never have a chance to start the single player campaign on Veteran!

I've started the Special Ops missions, though - Alpha series. I got 2 stars in some. Almost got the 3rd star in Sniper Fi, but on the last wave, the 4th last hostile got me in the back.

Anyone got 3 stars on the Pit? Man, you gotta be quick. I guess you have to keep runnin' as you shoot and knife a few enemies.
MacBook Pro

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 12:03 AM

Oooh, got the "Wargasm" title today. Cool. Apparently I got all 3 of my killstreaks within 20 seconds.
That was a sentry gun, harrier attack, and pave low.

Can't remember if that was in my 20-2 game. I got all my killstreaks there. Camped on sub base on the roof above the tank. Covered one entrance to the roof with the sentry gun and me and two team members had the other entrance covered. I ran out of ammo and had to rely on my killstreaks for kills.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 12:44 PM

You know what would help me finish my FMJ kills? If the two kills I got on a dude through the catwalk of the warehouse on Quarry actually counted as penetration kills as they should have.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jan 20, 2010, 01:10 PM

I had a damn good night last night, damn good. Majority of my games were 20+ kills and single digit deaths. I upped my K/D from 1.17 to 1.20 and my killstreak from 16 to 23!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 01:16 PM

...and you were a douche bag about my shitty play.

On the bright side, I did get the collateral damage challenge done, and that did count as a penetration kill.

Forum Links
Forum Rules