Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Metro: Redux

Metro: Redux
sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 01:26 PM

I know I've fellated both these games before in their own respective threads (2033 / Last Light) but I bought the damn things again and jumped back into the world of the Metro to see if my beloved titles were remastered in a way that does them justice.

If you have yet to play either game at this point you'd be hard pressed to turn this one down, I got mine for 24 bucks on Amazon, and if I hadn't already dropped $120 on both titles before I'd say it was a bargain for this much entertainment. It also comes with every piece of DLC released for both games, including a Developer Pack in which you can pit the baddies of the metro against each-other, use all the weapons/attachments and check out all the beasties in a cool interactive museum.

The graphics are simply stunning, really jaw-dropping at times. I imagine this was the effect our PC master race brethren experienced from the get-go, but this is the best looking console game I've ever seen. The framerate is butter smooth, and even during a few set-piece battles that brought the 360 to its knees it runs flawlessly. The game appears to have been "lightened" throughout, more detail is visible in more areas. I'm not sure if this was a decision to make gameplay better, or just more horsepower from the new system, but either way there isn't as much a need for nightvision goggles anymore...which is a positive in my book. The original game was no slouch in the looks department, but man, everything looks amazing in Redux.

The games themselves experience very minor changes throughout. Cut scenes have been eliminated in favor of keeping you controlling Artyom while others talk, some levels have been merged (less loading), late game levels got a bit rebalanced in 2033, also a large fight on the surface is entirely new. Both games get the Ranger difficulty and a new Spartan game type (more run and gun than Survival) and gunplay is sharp and precise thanks in part to that wonderful framerate.

I, of course, played both games on Survival - Ranger Hardcore mode. Basically the only way to view your ammo/inventory is to bring up your quest clipboard (which does not pause the game). I had one minor gripe, there is no place to view the complicated keybindings in Ranger Hardcore, the game expects you to play on an easier skill level first to learn the controls but I'll be damned if I'm doing that. I was able to piece together the controller mapping from online sources, but not after a bit of frustration. The newer controls benefit 2033 greatly, which had an issue with gas mask filter swaps that didn't work sometimes.

Beating 2033 on RHC was hard, beating Last Light on RHC was insanely brutal. The game stacks two of the most difficult encounters one after another, leaving you with very little health and ammo for what is questionably the hardest fight in the game. Besides that and my controller mapping woes this was a phenomenal pickup for 24 bucks, and if you have yet to play either of these games and like FPSes then look no further.
( Last edited by sek929; Mar 16, 2015 at 01:49 PM. )

P
Mar 16, 2015, 02:49 PM

Are you playing to get the good endings at top difficulty as well? Haven't played the original (read the book though), though I do think I got it in a bundle at some point. Will have to give it a try at some point.

sek929  (op)
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2015, 03:00 PM

Yes, although I fell short in Last Light and got the "bad" ending.

Forum Links
Forum Rules