Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Transmission died on 5 day old car

Transmission died on 5 day old car (Page 2)
OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2007, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by bstone View Post
Yes. All of them. Car is still under warranty.
Wouldn't you rather return the car? It sounds to me it's a lemon. At the very least, I'd have your mechanic do a very thorough check-up … 

Since you've asked: I'd return it. If the car is in such a bad shape, I don't think the previous owner has taken very good care of it. And regardless of the make, if you don't take proper care of your car, it'll be unreliable no matter what kind of pedigree it has (Toyota, Honda, Ford).
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Jun 21, 2007 at 05:13 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 05:35 PM

Thank you, ThinkInsane. I appreciate all you say.

Back to the topic at hand: Since the dealer will pay for all the above listed repairs, what do you all think about me keeping the car? I can return it for the price I paid, but I am curious about the possibility of keeping it. I am open to all discussion and suggestions (as long as it does not contain bickering or personal attacks).
If you really like the car, I would actually keep it, given that a thorough checkup will not reveal anything else as problematic.

Just think of getting a used car with a brand-spanking new transmission. Any other used car you buy will have a very limited warranty.

What are the chances that you get another big repair like this in the next months ? I think pretty slim.

I see it like with an airline that just had a major crash.
Yes, no one wants to fly with them, but statistically, this airline has just become the safest to fly with. It's highly unlikely that there will be another crash anytime soon.

-t

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Wouldn't you rather return the car? It sounds to me it's a lemon. At the very least, I'd have your mechanic do a very thorough check-up …

Since you've asked: I'd return it. If the car is in such a bad shape, I don't think the previous owner has taken very good care of it. And regardless of the make, if you don't take proper care of your car, it'll be unreliable no matter what kind of pedigree it has (Toyota, Honda, Ford).
Interesting. The Aamco shop where the vehicle currently is also does complete car repair. I asked the manager yesterday morning to go through the car with a fine-tooth comb. He said the engine checks out. Even did a compression test of the cylinders. He found that the oil pan and gasket, fuel filter and rear shocks needed replacement. Other than that he feels comfortable with it.

Let's assume for a moment that I bring it to yet another repair shop and have then do a through inspection of the entire thing, which it passes. That coupled with the 3 year front-to-end warranty I have. Is it enough to instill confidence in the vehicle? I only ask as returning it will be a pain. There is no CarMax anywhere in my state (MA), the closest being in CT. School starts Monday and I'll be pretty busy.

Thanks.
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 21, 2007, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by rickey939 View Post
I would return it and get a really expensive Rolls Royce.
Yeah, but for that money, what would you get ?
A 100 year old RR ?

Oh, no, wait, nevermind...

-t

P.S: I LOVE the server spazzing out. Look at the time stamp.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 05:38 PM

I would return it and get a really expensive Rolls Royce.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 21, 2007, 05:49 PM

bstone, I would bail on this particular wheeled headache and buy from a different dealer. It seems that, for whatever reason, this "certification process" was deficient, and that leads me to be concerned about other "certified" vehicles from the same dealer.

I once bought a used car whose transmission failed-though not nearly as early. It turned out that the vehicle had been in an accident, and this was not disclosed to the dealership that I bought it from. Being a front wheel drive car, an impact on the driver's side that involved the front wheel had serious repercussions on the transmission. A $1200 rebuilt transmission (and much more debt for a very cash poor family) is how we got out of that. And once we could afford to, we ditched the machine and bought new to avoid the whole "history" problem. Yes, we were quite gunshy about buying another used car, but we also moved up to the brand we had wanted anyway, and that was a really good resolution to our problem.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

andi*pandi
Jun 21, 2007, 05:56 PM

^I would also be wary of any dealer who "certified" this car, and didn't spot these flaws. Of course if they're being sufficiently apologetic and easy to deal with about the repair costs, then maybe...

ok, not much help.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 05:58 PM

While I have the first impression of wanting to return this car for a full refund (which is an option) I can't help but to take stock of my situation-

• I spent just over $7k on this car
• I really enjoy everything about this car (other than the mechanical issues)
• It will have a brand new tranny with a 3 year warranty
• New shocks
• New oil pan and gasket
• New oil filter
• A good mechanic giving it a thumbs up
• 3 year warranty on the car

I know I can't expect that in a similar used vehicle. It seems to be that since the dealer would be spending over half the price of the vehicle in repairs and this is tantamount to giving it a heart-transplant, perhaps it is a wise decision to keep this car

OreoCookie
Jun 21, 2007, 06:18 PM

Just one question: who will do the repairs, the mechanic you trust or the dealer's mechanic? If it's the latter, I wouldn't do it. I second ghporter's comment that if he didn't spot/didn't want to spot the obvious problems this car has, I wouldn't trust one of his mechanics either.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Just one question: who will do the repairs, the mechanic you trust or the dealer's mechanic? If it's the latter, I wouldn't do it. I second ghporter's comment that if he didn't spot/didn't want to spot the obvious problems this car has, I wouldn't trust one of his mechanics either.
All these repairs are being done at a mechanic of my choosing. Since I am in MA and there is no CarMax here, then I get to choose who. I put it on my credit card and CarMax sends me a check in full once I fax them a copy of the receipt. I have that in writing and verbal from their managers.

So far the car is being repaired at my local AAMCO Transmission shop, which also does complete car repair. The manager at AAMCO says the tranny, oil pan and gasket, fuel filter and rear shocks needs to be replaced. Other than that he can't find anything wrong. I intend on bringing it to yet another mechanic after the AAMCO one for another inspection.

I don't trust CarMax nor their mechanics. But since it's being done at a place of my choosing I feel more comfortable.

Kevin
Baninated
Jun 22, 2007, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by OldManMac View Post
Your car, once again, is not a 5 day old car; it is an eight year old car. For some bizarre reason, you seem to think you can twist the truth because you had an unfortunate experience within a very short time frame after making a major purchase. Your thread title, and your attempt to repeat it, is disingenuous and misleading. You bought an old piece of junk, and it died; those are the facts. Whether it's a week old to you is irrelevant. Denial is not the river in Egypt.
Yeah bstone, kinda misleading. (not really even kinda)

But good to hear they are working it out for you. Car dealerships....

I am not even going there.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2007, 12:24 PM

It sounds like you are going to keep it, but if this were me I'd bring it back immediately.

If a 'factory certified' car needed a new oil pan and tranny after going through a 'rigorous' inspection I'd wager that the car is still hiding quite a few more problems just waiting to bend you over.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Yeah bstone, kinda misleading. (not really even kinda)

But good to hear they are working it out for you. Car dealerships....

I am not even going there.
5 days old to me. I did say it was a 99 in the very first post. No deception expressed or implied.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2007, 03:50 PM

5 days old to me. I did say it was a 99 in the very first post. No deception expressed or implied.
I'm a little nervous about the; "CARMAX said they'd pay it upon receipt." What happens if they don't pay it and you're out over $3,000.00? Of course you have legal protection in this case (assuming you have the bill of sale that implies the warranty, I'd read it over one more time to ensure there isn't a small detail there). I was frankly surprised to see that an 8 year old Ford Taurus would be "certified used". I'd look for any small print that might have you bent over the counter my friend. Have lawyer ready.

That said, I would trust AAMCO for handling the repairs. It would be in their best interest to "uncover" any problems that could give them more money. I wouldn't be happy if it were coming out of my pocket, but believe me... if they could find something wrong with it-they would and the good news is it's not coming out of your pocket. IMO, you lucked out big as life!!! This is a dream deal and a very big mistake on behalf of the dealer. This almost never happens which is why you'd rarely see a dealer back a 99' Ford this way. Their loss, your gain.

In short, if all is handled on the up and up, I wouldn't even feel the need to take it to another mechanic. With what AAMCO is charging, they'd find something else if it existed. This is warranty work and no one appreciates warranty work more than a service center.

Keep the car. I've replaced just about everything on my Sebring JX and was thinking of getting rid of it a long time ago. Thing is, everything is replaced so it won't die. Keep the car, it practically is only 5 days old at this point. Dream fluke brother!
ebuddy

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 10:22 PM

I have considered that this works to my benefit. Now I have a 99 Ford Taurus with a new tranny, oil pan, rear shocks and fuel filter...all on the good graces of the 30 day warranty.

The car clearly has a 30 day warranty. Just so you know I have had my attorney communicating with CarMax in order to make utterly sure that there are no issues or confusion. I also have the rusted out parts which passed their "inspection and certification" process. An amature would know these parts are bad, bad, bad.

I like this car. Think I will keep it. Don't mind having a new tranny in it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules