Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Thunderbolt 3 will play nice with USB

Thunderbolt 3 will play nice with USB
ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 2, 2015, 07:48 AM

http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/06/...ssible.128860/

It will have the reversible USB-C connection used on the new MacBook, ChromeBook Pixel and future Android phones, has 40Gbps speed, USB 3.1 (10Gbps) and DisplayPort 1.2, it supports dual 4k screens too.

Nice. Although if this USB/Thunderbolt combo does become the new thing, the current USB-C MacBook could get complicated with Thunderbolt 3 stuff using the same port. Fingers crossed that MacBook rev B and future Macs will take on the dual ports.

And what are the chances of the iPhone dumping Lightning to go to the USB-C port USB/Thunderbolt?
( Last edited by Mike Wuerthele; Jun 6, 2015 at 01:59 PM. Reason: MacNN URL.)

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Jun 2, 2015, 08:14 AM

The only Mac currently with USB 3.1 is the new Macbook, and that one is seriously starved of PCIe lanes. It has a total of x4 2.0 lanes, and it has to run the storage interface off of those as well. The non-low power chips have more lanes (x16 3.0 intended for graphics, some of which could be used for Thunderbolt since Apple isn't exactly known for overspeccing it laptops in the graphics department), so the bigger MBPs might very well get a few combined USB Type C/Thunderbolt/DisplayPort, but it is far from given that the Macbook will get that.

I think that the iOS devices use Lightning because Apple makes money from the MFi program. As long as they do, Apple stays with Lightning.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

OreoCookie
Jun 6, 2015, 01:41 PM

Thunderbolt 3 is the interconnect that I wanted Thunderbolt to be, I just need to connect one cable (instead of currently 3) to plug my computer in and connect peripherals at native speeds. Especially the fact that (much cheaper) passive cables can be used may actually be the key feature. It's a pity that it didn't make it into the new MacBook, although I reckon that future iterations feature a USB-C/Thunderbolt 3 port.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules