Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Triggering

Triggering (Page 2)
Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 20, 2016, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Yes, many of us are and I imagine to non-atheists that almost all us could sound that way, but Milo is way more pompous and self-absorbed than any atheist I could name
Are you familiar with TJ, aka. "The Amazing Atheist"?
"I have a dream, that my four little children will one day live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin,
but by the content of their character." - M.L.King Jr

subego
Clinically Insane
May 20, 2016, 03:10 PM

Yes, many of us are and I imagine to non-atheists that almost all us could sound that way, but Milo is way more pompous and self-absorbed than any atheist I could name and its the ism I think he's laughing at so I assume he must be fairly strongly religious. Which is pretty laughable itself given most religions opinions on homosexuality.
For the record, I'm much closer to an atheist than not.

Milo is a self-aware, professional troll. The type of atheist who bugs me is neither.

Milo wants you to subscribe to his newsletter because he's an attention whore. Atheism (as a movement) wants you to subscribe to their newsletter to join in the circlejerk of smug self-satisfaction.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2016, 10:41 AM

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Evelyn Beatrice Hall, NOT Voltaire. That's part one of "freedom of speech." Part two is "harden the f*** up" and don't let other people's words hurt your feelings. Part three is "ignore people who spout hateful, distasteful and bigoted tripe, and they'll fade away".

Like a huge number of others, I volunteered to defend my country - my Constitution - despite the fact that many people here actually hate me for having worn a military uniform. Goody for them. Their freedom to vociferously tell me I'm horrible for serving pretty much means I was successful. However, I do demand that those individuals realize that it's a two way street, and that I have the same rights as they do to completely disagree with their ideas.

Many college campuses need to switch from "safe areas" and "trigger reports" to part two above. College is where students should be developing as adults, not regressing to preschool stages where their tiny little feelers need protection from the big bad world. Of course moms and dads need to tell their kids who can't hack the world because of their delicate sensibilities that they can't come home and hide from the world, but that's a (lack of) parenting issue, not a freedom of speech issue.

There have been a number of reports of effective reactions to Klan marches and similar distasteful demonstrations: ignore the heck out of them. The 'boys marchin' down the street in robes and carrying banners aren't doing it for exercise, they're doing it for attention. Stating your manifesto by marching with a bunch of like-minded others is supposed to show how "right" your manifesto is, but it only works if you get to express that manifesto to other people.

Why does it have to be more complex than that? Let others yap away, don't let their (probably useless) rhetoric bother you, and ignore the really nasty ones out of existence.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cap'n Tightpants View Post
Are you familiar with TJ, aka. "The Amazing Atheist"?
I am aware but I don't watch much of his output. He's not as obnoxious as Milo but I'm not terribly fond of him either.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No, that's micro-evolution, which is different from macro-evolution. Micro-evolution is slight variations in size or color that a species makes to adapt to its environment. Macro-evolution is species changing into other species. From a creationist's point of view.
Micro + time = macro.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2016, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it". Evelyn Beatrice Hall, NOT Voltaire. That's part one of "freedom of speech." Part two is "harden the f*** up" and don't let other people's words hurt your feelings. Part three is "ignore people who spout hateful, distasteful and bigoted tripe, and they'll fade away".

Like a huge number of others, I volunteered to defend my country - my Constitution - despite the fact that many people here actually hate me for having worn a military uniform. Goody for them. Their freedom to vociferously tell me I'm horrible for serving pretty much means I was successful. However, I do demand that those individuals realize that it's a two way street, and that I have the same rights as they do to completely disagree with their ideas.

Many college campuses need to switch from "safe areas" and "trigger reports" to part two above. College is where students should be developing as adults, not regressing to preschool stages where their tiny little feelers need protection from the big bad world. Of course moms and dads need to tell their kids who can't hack the world because of their delicate sensibilities that they can't come home and hide from the world, but that's a (lack of) parenting issue, not a freedom of speech issue.

There have been a number of reports of effective reactions to Klan marches and similar distasteful demonstrations: ignore the heck out of them. The 'boys marchin' down the street in robes and carrying banners aren't doing it for exercise, they're doing it for attention. Stating your manifesto by marching with a bunch of like-minded others is supposed to show how "right" your manifesto is, but it only works if you get to express that manifesto to other people.

Why does it have to be more complex than that? Let others yap away, don't let their (probably useless) rhetoric bother you, and ignore the really nasty ones out of existence.

I think the problem is that increasingly, people aren't ignoring things they should know to ignore. Its so much easier to spread your message now, whatever it may be. Its also easier to create isolated and rejected outsiders waiting for someone to say something that rings true for them so they can join a bad cause. Simultaneously its easier for isolated individuals with horrible ideals to find like-minded others and connect, chat and organise together.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2016, 11:33 PM

I am aware but I don't watch much of his output. He's not as obnoxious as Milo but I'm not terribly fond of him either.
Overall, a tornado isn't as destructive as a hurricane, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near either one.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2016, 06:44 AM

Overall, a tornado isn't as destructive as a hurricane, but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near either one.
If its the chap I'm thinking of, I think I saw him guest on another video and it put me off ever watching him again.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 02:14 PM

Google "Amazing Atheist", he truly gives atheism a bad name.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 08:55 PM

'F**k Israel, long live the Intifada' angry mob screams at Jewish UC student - Diaspora - Jerusalem Post

The above took place, in the United States of America, in 2016. So much for "safe spaces" and "triggering", apparently Jews aren't allowed.

I wonder if "the left" (and its "high-brow" supporters) have any comments regarding their socio-political bedfellows?

EDIT>> Take note of the widespread news coverage of this incident./s
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; May 23, 2016 at 09:40 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 09:17 PM

Saying "**** Israel" actually bothers people?

This is an honest question. You want lessons on how not to give a shit what outsiders think of you? Learn from an Israeli.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 23, 2016, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Saying "**** Israel" actually bothers people?

This is an honest question. You want lessons on how not to give a shit what outsiders think of you? Learn from an Israeli.
Anti-Israel protesters hunt Jews at UC Irvine

Not particularly, but the manner in which the function was disrupted and students physically intimidated does bother me. When one is part of a ~14 million minority, standing up to ~1.5 billion ready to shout you down in such a manner (if not worse), it matters. IMHO

The silence from the media is deafening. I guess one only makes the front page if one is a muslim instigator who builds a suspicious clock and gets taken aside due to people being suspicious.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2016, 10:04 PM

When you say "14 million", I assume you mean Jews.

They didn't say "**** Jews", they said "**** Israel".

Another honest question... can't I hate Israel but be fine with Jews?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 24, 2016, 01:07 AM

Sure.
Will the religious right and conservative/non-reformed jews call it antisemitism, yup.
Thankfully the latter is disappearing in America as the intermarriage rate is dropping below 40%

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 01:55 AM

When you say "14 million", I assume you mean Jews.

They didn't say "**** Jews", they said "**** Israel".

Going out of your way to harass Jewish students with "**** Israel" and impede their activities is something else, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 02:42 AM

Going out of your way to harass Jewish students with "**** Israel" and impede their activities is something else, though.
Was it because they were Jews, or because they were seen as supporters of Israel?

I'm anti-yelling in either case, but the difference seems non-trivial to me.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 06:13 AM

Was it because they were Jews, or because they were seen as supporters of Israel?

They tracked them down by last name and went after them. "Hey, it's Rosenbaum! F*** Israel!" Paraphrasing, but yeah, hunting down individual students just to scream at them and spread hate = not cool. If it had been black students the national guard would have been called and CNN would still be there, there would be a triage setup for all the emotionally "wounded".

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 07:17 AM

That's not in the article. Or if it is, I missed it.

Not to mention the article is sensationalized to within an inch of its life.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 24, 2016, 09:23 AM

I can't even see that article now (throws up an error). I was going by the reactions to what happened, but admittedly they were sympathetic to the Jewish students.

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 09:42 AM

It won't let me cut and paste on mobile.

The gist is there was a pro Israeli movie at UC Irvine. People protested it. What apparently marked you for epithet reception was attendance to the movie.

One person claims they were chased.

Cops were called, and didn't feel it was necessary to arrest anyone. This makes me skeptical of the threat level.

Another example of obnoxious protestors? Unquestionable. Were they "hunting people down"? I'm skeptical.

To give you an idea where the article is coming from, it feels that the cops put on rubber gloves (paraphrasing) "to protect themselves from knives the protesters may be carrying" is relevant.

Cops who didn't arrest anyone.

That's some crazy-ass spin, right there.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
May 24, 2016, 10:22 AM

Was Triggly Puff there?

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 24, 2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post

a million times

Snow-i
Professional Poster
May 24, 2016, 07:15 PM

I'm not even sure the people doing the yelling can tell the difference.

What basis could you possibly have for hating Israel other than their conflict with the Arabs bent on their annihilation under religious pretext that continually prod them into conflict? This is a serious question.

What basis could you have for rallying against any country? Note they aren't rallying against an unjust government, but an entire ethnic/religious group of people defined by their secular state. Aside a blind and bigoted hatred for a subsect of people different than your own, what basis could you possibly have? It's one thing to protest a specific government/administration or its actions....that's not what "**** Israel" means nor how it's meant.

The difference, though non-trivial per denotive definitions, is pragmatically non-existent especially coming out of the brain damage that has become our system of "higher education".

subego
Clinically Insane
May 24, 2016, 07:33 PM

I can see the argument Israel needs to lighten up.

I don't agree with the argument, but I can see it.

ghporter
Administrator
May 24, 2016, 07:57 PM

A crowd organized to harass a small group of people is something different from some loudmouth spouting filth and idiocy; the loudmouth is easy to ignore, but a wall of "people" with mob behavior? Not so much. The way the UC event is reported is much more of a "mob" action, and that becomes something that isn't "ignorable." I'm reminded of England's old "Riot Act," but sadly this was in California, and even suggesting that violent, antisocial behavior is "hurtful" doesn't play there, let alone basically telling the offenders to disperse or be shot. Pity...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego
Clinically Insane
May 25, 2016, 06:23 AM

My main point is I feel "**** Israel, long live the infitada" is being treated like it was "**** Jews, long live the jihad".

And to be clear, screaming isn't appropriate regardless of what they were saying.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 09:48 AM

Activists Crash Stage, Threaten Milo Yiannopoulos at DePaul

Trump protesters smash door, break through barriers - CNNPolitics.com

It's ironic how there are so many incidences of anti-social and violent behavior from only one side of the political isle these days.

@subego, on your previous q, you are free to love/hate whatever and whomever you wish, for whatever reason you want.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 25, 2016, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
It's ironic how there are so many incidences of anti-social and violent behavior from only one side of the political isle these days.
What? Do you seriously believe that?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 10:48 AM

What? Do you seriously believe that?
Please (and i mean this sincerely) prove me wrong. Link to any recent violent protests againt the "left" and/or "liberals".

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 25, 2016, 11:13 AM

How much time did you spend looking for it? Why is it my job to ensure your neutrality?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 11:29 AM

How much time did you spend looking for it? Why is it my job to ensure your neutrality?
I didnt spend any time looking for anything to affirm any preconceived view. Those are just the type of headlines i see on rss feeds and google news.(And rarely if EVER what you are suggesting).

Im not neutral (and neither are you) and its not your job to ensure my neutrality. However, you might(this isnt my requirement), for your own reputation, want to back up your claims with some evidence.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 25, 2016, 11:41 AM

Im not neutral (and neither are you)
I'm not?

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 12:05 PM

I'm not?
I dont think anyone really is.

My use of absolutes (never/always/only) is incorrect. What would be more accurate is: one side is more prone to using violence than the other side. Or so it seems from my observation.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 01:09 PM

We donate a sizeable amount to universities; most schools in the SEC, but especially Vandy and the Univ. of TN. So it occurred to me that it's about time to evaluate WTF is going on and suspend donations until they shape up. So, I've decided I'm personally going to audit Gender Studies and Social Justice courses this fall. Until then I've suspended all donations. They're upset about it, claiming they won't be able to make their scholarship quotas, but the administrations allowed their schools to get into the condition they're in, ruled by the anti-liberal crybullies of the regressive Left.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
May 25, 2016, 01:46 PM

Activists Crash Stage, Threaten Milo Yiannopoulos at DePaul

Trump protesters smash door, break through barriers - CNNPolitics.com

You're 100% correct, and they can't show you where the Right, even the alt-Right, is being nearly as violent, because it simply isn't true. It's staggering how badly BLM seems to want to confirm the stereotype of intolerant, ignorant protesters. All they're doing is pushing more people away from them and their cause, in droves. If any one group is responsible for getting Trump elected it's BLM.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2016, 05:01 PM

#CollegeTantrums2016

It's so hard not to laugh at these poor triggered snowflakes.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 1, 2016, 09:07 PM

I love that someone can call someone else cancerous to society and then complain that that person is disrespectful towards them in the space of two sentences.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2016, 09:11 PM

I love that someone can call someone else cancerous to society and then complain that that person is disrespectful towards them in the space of two sentences.
Because you cannot understand the difference between words and actions?

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2016, 09:27 PM

Milo's DePaul visit was awesome:

"Feminism is cancer."
"You said women are cancer!"
"No... wait... what?!?"

I'm convinced this new wave of "intersectionality" is causing mass cognitive dissonance, especially in Millennials.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 1, 2016, 10:35 PM

"Feminism is cancer."
"No... wait... what?!?"

I'm convinced this new wave of "intersectionality" is causing mass cognitive dissonance, especially in Millennials.
Their reactions and responses(tantrums and violence)don't seem all that different from that one other particular group which has issues with cartoons.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jun 1, 2016 at 10:57 PM. )

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2016, 10:19 AM

Because you cannot understand the difference between words and actions?
Because they can't both be forms of disrespect?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2016, 01:32 PM

"Feminism is cancer."
"No... wait... what?!?"

From the outside the DePaul event.

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2016, 01:42 PM

Wow, it's amazing what a simple discussion with a small, super-effeminate, gay man can do.

"OMG, he dares to disagree with us. He must be stopped! Look at the rape threats!!" Honestly, it would be funny if it wasn't so depressing.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2016, 02:20 PM

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2016, 04:07 PM

Footage taken of actual student protesters:

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2016, 04:10 PM

It's almost, almost enough to make me vote for Trump.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2016, 01:39 AM

Fascinating interview of Jonathan Haidt by Dave Rubin. Talking about psychology, morality, tribalism, mindsets of a new religion ("leftism") as we observe it on college campuses in the western world.

Cap'n: So you're currently going with Bernie/Hillary?

Cheers

Cap'n Tightpants
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2016, 06:17 AM

I was for Bernie, more because I was trying to help him win TN in the primary, but now I'm for essentially anyone who isn't Hillary or Trump. Though, if someone held a gun to my head I'd choose Trump over Hillary, narrowly.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2016, 07:38 AM

I still can't fathom your "logic" in that. Can't help but think its based on mostly irrational hatred of Hillary.

I can't see a single issue on which Trump would be likely to do better.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2016, 09:00 AM

Irrational Hatred? Ask the families of those killed in Benghazi. Look at all the women who were attacked by Bubba, and with her horrid moral character and hideous judgements, Hillary covering for Bill and then her own messes she created with the same bad judgement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules