Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > GooPhone quickly follows iPhone 5s with a new knockoff Android phone

GooPhone quickly follows iPhone 5s with a new knockoff Android phone
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 26, 2013, 01:17 PM

Just over a month after the release of the iPhone 5s, notorious knockoff manufacturer GooPhone has debuted its own 5s lookalike. The GooPhone i5S mocks both the build of Apple's new high-end smartphone and the aesthetic of iOS 7, even down to app icon designs. The 5s doppelganger runs Android, though, and it retails for just $199 for an unlocked device.

Inside, the GooPhone is quite different from its inspiration, packing just a 4-inch qHD 960x540 display, a 1.2GHz dual-core processor, and a 5MP rear camera with LED flash. Rounding out its mid-range specs are 1GB of RAM, a 1500mAh battery, 16GB of internal storage, and 3G connectivity. It also runs Android 4.2.2.

In all likelihood, the device will never hit American shores, due to the threat of litigation from Apple. GooPhone has previously copied iPhone designs, releasing another GooPhone with lower specs earlier this year. The Chinese manufacturer has even threatened Apple with legal action, claiming that it ha patented an iPhone 5-like design in China prior to that device's release there.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2013, 03:01 PM

There's a point where I don't feel sorry for the morons that buy this POS any more than I would feel sorry for the people that buy the $50 "Rolex" watch. If they're that stupid then they deserve what they get.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

Jubeikiwagami
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2013, 04:06 PM

This is Android at its best. Destroying American companies by allowing the Asian copy cats like Samsung profit from Apples hard work.

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2013, 01:29 AM

Only morons would copy iOS7 and not improve upon it.

davidlfoster
Oct 27, 2013, 10:06 AM

Pathetic. Why bother creating anything if thieves will just rip it off like this. As one commentator noted, they could have at least improved it given the obvious effort they took to copy the authentic 5s. I have one question though - can these idiots make enough of them to satisfy demand (unlike Apple). Are these morons bleeding off parts and manufacturing capacity that could instead be making the real thing?

thinkman
Oct 27, 2013, 11:22 AM

Welcome to China, the land of monkey see, monkey do.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2013, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Huang View Post
Only morons would copy iOS7 and not improve upon it.
Yeah, if only Apple had designed iOS 7...oh wait

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2013, 11:43 AM

There will always be a knock offs but I think only a very small minority of population buy it. Majority of people in China still go for the real one. In my nearby grocery store in Connecticut, there's a knock off US-made Stop&Shop supmarket brand French cheese and there's the real deal Imported French cheese. I tried the cheap supermarket brand and it was so so. Later I tried the imported one and it was out of this world. Never go back to the supermarket brand again.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2013, 11:46 AM

You can afford not to.

Lucky man.

coffeetime
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2013, 11:56 AM

If you can't afford an Apple iPhone or even an imported French cheese ($6), then don't get it and stop supporting the knock-off.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2013, 12:31 PM

Ever get thrown off by that moral high-horse you're riding?

They tend to buck when underfed.

xomniron
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2013, 06:06 PM

@Harlot -- Ever get hoisted on your own petard? That happens when you least expect it. If you are not a fan of Apple's products, don't buy one ...simple. It's one thing to prefer (or buy) an Android-based phone -- which originally was a rip-off of Apple's iOS, made possible by insider information when Google CEO Eric Schmidt was on Apple's Board of Directors -- but it's another thing to advocate a complete and total fake iPhone product. There is no honor or integrity in a company that does that.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 27, 2013, 06:46 PM

I agree, entirely.

kerryb
Oct 28, 2013, 08:45 AM

I like the stock photos in the gallery, is anyone dumb enough to this this phone took those pictures?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2013, 11:23 PM

Seems a lot faster than my iPhone.

Forum Links
Forum Rules