Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Time Capsule causing DSL Problems?

Time Capsule causing DSL Problems?
Maflynn
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2009, 08:47 AM

This may sound weird but I want eliminate all possible causes to my DSL woes that have beset me for the best two weeks. Most of the problems are intermittent but the outages can be extended from time to time.

The problem is that I lose DSL connectivity, the DSL modem's "DSL Light" which should remain constant flickers. The log information in the dsl modem show that dsl is dropping, or a bad dns entry shows up (not sure if that's related).

Since I have my TC configured for internet access with PPOE and is authenticating so I'm wondering could this be the culprit to my problems. Does this sound to wacky, TC taking out connectivty of my DSL modem?

I'm running strictly off my DSL modem and when I get home tonight, I'll check out the logs to see if DSL stayed up. I also have verizon coming, again. I've changed the cable from wall to the dsl modem. Made sure the phone has a filter on it and I don't have a phone via a splitter, on the wall jack going to the dsl modem.

The frustrating part of this, is that every support call to verizon takes an hour. So any leg work I can do to help isolate the issue means less calls or quicker calls.

I'm also going to buy a new dsl modem today and see if that solves the problem. The TC is rather new, only a couple of months had has not given me any problems before this.
~Mike

ibook_steve
Jan 8, 2009, 02:16 PM

Why don't you try taking the TC out of the equation and hooking directly to the modem, setting up PPPoE on your machine? Or is that what you mean by "I'm running strictly off my DSL modem and when I get home tonight"?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, I took TC out of the equation and it appears that is in fact the cause. I was a little surprised that it would knock out access at the DSL modem point, not just drop its link to the modem.

I've been running my network sans TC now all day yesterday and last night and I've not experienced one DSL issue. I'll have to call apple and get the repair/replacement ball rolling shortly. I hate dealing with tech support no matter how you slice it, the call is going to take a very long time. Even if I bring it to an apple store, it means setting up an appointment and waiting for a long time.

I have to work this weekend, so I'm extremely pleased that my internet connection is stable and I'll be able to VPN into my companies network. It would have been a nightmare if I was unable to do so
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules