Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Apple to stop selling xserve

Apple to stop selling xserve (Page 3)
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Rackmounting workstations is a great idea. Most of the people who use Mac workstations are either afraid to touch them or should never be allowed to.

You can have spare ones and never have to move anything more than a couple of cables around.
I think I already mentioned its more secure. iMacs are very tempting to thieves. Ask any school which has a significant number of them.
Apple doesn't mind businesses buying iMacs for admin machines, but they don't want them used for CS5 stations or FCP. They aren't going to stop you doing that, but the would prefer to sell Mac Pros. Otherwise there would be an iMac Server too.

I think we covered earlier in the thread that Apple makes some use of OS X Server since they use webobjects for some things.
I am fairly certain that Apple UK had some iTunes or maybe .Mac services running from Xserves a few years back since I know they did a massive refit of them and were re-purposing even the G4s which were well already out of date at the time. They had a lot of them too.

Rackmounting workstations is expensive, as data centers generally charge colo by the "U" - i.e. 1U, 2U, etc.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2010, 05:36 AM

I didn't say anything about data centres.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2010, 05:36 AM

If you're going to put your workstations in a data center, you're going to need an awfully long dvi cable...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2010, 01:39 PM

I envisioned building a server room for the office (many have them anyway) and running some kind of light peak network infrastructure. Assuming that is how light peak is going to work. With hubs and switches etc.

Man I wish I wasn't so skint, I just had to pass on a 2007 Xserve on eBay for £350.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Nov 10, 2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
If you're going to put your workstations in a data center, you're going to need an awfully long dvi cable...
Well thats why Apple opted for the powerful GPU in the server Mac Pro. See? It all makes sense!

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2010, 02:57 PM

Would it be expensive for Apple to add LOM to a Mac mini? It'd be neat if they just expanded the mini to be a server.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules