Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Hillary and the email

Hillary and the email
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 10:33 AM

So..... she plans to talk to reporters after her UN speech today.
Do you think she'll end up getting a pass or a load of subpoenas?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2015, 10:45 AM

She won't get a pass, but she should be raked over the coals for this. I look forward to the justification for not using government email. And yes she's going to get subpoena'd to hell because BENGHAZI

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
She won't get a pass, but she should be raked over the coals for this.
Okay... now I'll flog you.

Did the word "but" change meaning on me? I'm seeing this happen everywhere all the sudden.

Both halves of that sentence are consistent. Why is there a but-join?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2015, 10:54 AM

The but infers that I believe she will be subject to some type of middling attention rather than what follows.

Edit: I'd rather be flogged for the other thread

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2015, 11:03 AM

The but infers that I believe she will be subject to some type of middling attention rather than what follows.

Edit: I'd rather be flogged for the other thread
That makes sense. My apologies for the misunderstanding!

You may not flog me for this.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 11:25 AM

I can't wait for all the shrieking from her if she runs for president. Somehow I don't think she will run if it looks like she will be in court a lot. One pundit said the cases that were dismissed because of lack of emails will be re-opened, and the people who swore under oath for her have committed perjury. The emails she's given is 55000 pages (printed). She's trying to stall things I think.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2015, 01:33 PM

I heard the only reporters allowed will be those who already had credentials approved 24 hours in advance for her UN speech.
45/47

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2015, 02:11 PM

This is the type of self-inflicted wound that just boggles my mind.

OAW

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2015, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
This is the type of self-inflicted wound that just boggles my mind.

OAW
It doesn't boggle the mind if the general idea is to prevent/obstruct FOIA access to even more damaging material.

andi*pandi
Mar 10, 2015, 03:08 PM

I read that she's not the only public figure who has their own email though?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 03:08 PM

It doesn't boggle the mind if the general idea is to prevent/obstruct FOIA access to even more damaging material.
Don't you think that stuff is long gone from the server(s)? She's probably been doing that since she left office.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 10, 2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Don't you think that stuff is long gone from the server(s)? She's probably been doing that since she left office.
Well, here's the interesting technicality: If she was emailing State Department officials, their official email would have record of the conversations. Clinton couldn't scrub those.

Another question: House oversight had to know about this private email from almost the get-go. Any correspondence they subpoenaed had to have listed her private email in the headers. So how did this not come up til now?

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2015, 07:16 PM

One would think Hillary Clinton would be smart enough not to put any such "damaging material" in ANY email ... government provided or otherwise. I just can't imagine her discussing "where the bodies are buried" so to speak on any medium with an electronic paper trail. This just smacks of doing something out of convenience (i.e. not having to use multiple email accounts for personal and professional communications) and just overlooking the fact that when it becomes public it will look "suspicious" at best.

OAW

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2015, 07:40 PM

I have four email accounts on my iPhone, five including the OWA app for my corporate account. If the world's smartest person can't manage two, she needs to resign the title.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2015, 09:02 PM

What time period was this about?
45/47

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 10, 2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by OAW View Post
One would think Hillary Clinton would be smart enough not to put any such "damaging material" in ANY email ... government provided or otherwise. I just can't imagine her discussing "where the bodies are buried" so to speak on any medium with an electronic paper trail. This just smacks of doing something out of convenience (i.e. not having to use multiple email accounts for personal and professional communications) and just overlooking the fact that when it becomes public it will look "suspicious" at best.

OAW
It sounds like she went really out of her way to setup, configure, and use her own personal email server (or hire people to do it for her) - so I don't think she's that naive to pull the "oh it was just easier, i didn't see the difference anyways" card.

It looks more like she wanted to ensure total control over her correspondence so she didn't have to worry about what might be heard on the record and what might not be, and being able to figure out who exactly she's corresponding with. That's where it was easier for her; she didn't have to keep an "off-the-record" account. It's trivial to add multiple accounts to a single phone. She used her private account so that she wouldn't have to switch between "Secretary of State" and "Wheeling, Stealing, and Dealing" personas when conversing over email.

The whole "multiple phones" excuse is just a diversion for the truly ignorant.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2015, 12:29 AM

The "multiple phones" thing isn't an excuse to be fair. There are government regulations in place about having government email accounts and personal email accounts on the same device. Federal employees having to carry multiple devices is real. They have a lot more restrictions than we do in the private sector. That being said, I think Clinton should have known better.

OAW

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 05:30 AM

The configuration of the servers is also important. She didn't follow any of the laws regarding this. I'm pretty sure she didn't do all the updates, keep up with the firewalls and put people in place to keep out the hackers. That the idiot investigators didn't seize the illegal servers before is a puzzle. Probably incompetence and cowardice.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2015, 08:53 AM

What doesn't make any sense to me is that if this was truly and attempt to have "control" over her email, it was pointless since there is a copy of every email she sent in the recipients inbox. In the case of other government officials, there is most certainly a backup of these emails. Are people really this stupid?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
What doesn't make any sense to me is that if this was truly and attempt to have "control" over her email, it was pointless since there is a copy of every email she sent in the recipients inbox. In the case of other government officials, there is most certainly a backup of these emails. Are people really this stupid?
What about people NOT gov't employees? Foreign nationals donating to the Clinton foundation for access or favors? We ARE talking about the Clintons after all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
I have four email accounts on my iPhone, five including the OWA app for my corporate account. If the world's smartest person can't manage two, she needs to resign the title.
Why couldn’t Hillary Clinton have two e-mail accounts on one phone? - The Washington Post
Obama's former speechwriter Jon Favreau indicated on Twitter that two devices was the norm. "[Y]ou couldn't [have two accounts on one phone] with WH accounts (and I guess State too) until maybe 2011-12," he tweeted, later adding that "eventually there was an app for your iPhone that allowed you to access your WH emails," and that "you couldn't access Gmail on any WH computers either." Senior administration officials having two phones is still common to this day.

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
It sounds like she went really out of her way to setup, configure, and use her own personal email server (or hire people to do it for her)
You make it sound like she did this special for her position. I suspect (feel free to show me if I'm wrong) that they had this email address since Bill left office, and she wanted to continue to use the service.

The configuration of the servers is also important. She didn't follow any of the laws regarding this.
Link?

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
That kind of lends credence to laziness angle, actually.

What about people NOT gov't employees? Foreign nationals donating to the Clinton foundation for access or favors? We ARE talking about the Clintons after all.
Those would presumably go to a personal email anyway.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 10:24 AM

I work in Gov't IT and get training every damn year on all this as IT support. I won't discuss what we do with out servers.

You are assuming the emails to and from non US gov't folks are somehow personal emails and not for other purposes.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 10:29 AM

I work in Gov't IT and get training every damn year on all this as IT support. I won't discuss what we do with out servers.
So that's a big fat no?

You are assuming the emails to and from non US gov't folks are somehow personal emails and not for other purposes.
No, I'm assuming anyone engaged in shady communications isn't dumb enough to do it on their government account. You're reaching.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2015, 10:39 AM

From the NY Times article.
The standard appears to have been (and in some cases still is): a secure phone provided by the government plus an unsecure phone for your personal use. As with all things government, it's not clear yet how uniformly this was applied, including across administrations. But it does suggest that the question being asked shouldn't be "Why would Hillary Clinton need two phones?" and should be instead "How secure was the phone she was using?"
From the photos from back in the day, she wasn't using an iPhone then. Anyone know what she using? (Blackberry or an Android?)
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 10:41 AM

From the NY Times article.
A valid question.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 11:31 AM

So that's a big fat no?
Sorry. I can't because I'm a contractor and have signed papers on non-disclosure.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2015, 12:36 PM

Sorry. I can't because I'm a contractor and have signed papers on non-disclosure.
...I asked for a link, not opinion. How do you know she didn't follow the laws regarding server configuration?

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2015, 01:20 PM

You'll have to ask Hillary. She's the only one who has said anything about the home server(s). The question is would you believe her?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2015, 01:30 PM

My effin god-forsaken POS Exchange account had an issue recently - iOS didn't alert me to any issues so I was oblivious to any problems. Turns out a few emails I sent went out via my personal account, because the default account (exchange) failed without indication.

shit happens.

edit: I can't stand Hillary, but this email thing is BS
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 01:02 PM

I got the answer for you, Badkosh
Hillary Clinton Didn't Encrypt Her Secretary of State Emails For Months 
Based on TrustNet analyst, Venafi can conclude clintonemail.com was enabled for browser, smartphone, and tablet encryption since 2009 and can operate using encryption through at least 2018. However, for the first 3 months of Secretary Clinton's term, access to the server was not encrypted or authenticated with a digital certificate. During this time, Secretary Clinton travelled to China, Egypt, Israel, South Korea and other locations outside of the U.S.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
edit: I can't stand Hillary, but this email thing is BS
Please, elaborate.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 01:08 PM

Please, elaborate.
Sorry, nothing to elaborate. It's a ridiculous discussion to begin with when there are far more pressing issues in the world.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 01:13 PM

Sorry, nothing to elaborate. It's a ridiculous discussion to begin with when there are far more pressing issues in the world.
So you're saying email security or accountability is overblown?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 01:36 PM

So you're saying email security or accountability is overblown?
email security/accountability are indeed important matters, but again, no war was caused and no one died as a result. There are far more tragic things happening in the world... it's a hot topic because the republicans got lucky and found something remotely truthful to throw at her.

alas, I do not care about her emails, who she emailed, how she emailed, the frickin font she used... lol it doesn't matter to me - if she was the president, or director of the cia, it would. But to me, no, she is irrelevant.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 01:41 PM

if she was the president, or director of the cia, it would. But to me, no, she is irrelevant.
Secretary of State isn't exactly a minor league position.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 01:50 PM

True, but again, she will pay for this politically - as I said - she is finished. But I don't see this as a malicious criminal offense.

What is interesting about this case is it will set clear laws for the future regarding email.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 01:59 PM

Hillary stated the personal emails that were deleted included those between her and Bill. A spokesman for Bill syas he has sent a total of two emails, ever. Then there is this from the Smoking Gun:
Billionaire Sex Offender's Phone Book Contained E-Mail Addresses, 21 Phone Numbers For Bill Clinton | The Smoking Gun

Bill may have only sent two emails, but how many has he received?
( Last edited by Chongo; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Spelling)
45/47

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2015, 02:00 PM

True, but again, she will pay for this politically - as I said - she is finished. But I don't see this as a malicious criminal offense.

What is interesting about this case is it will set clear laws for the future regarding email.
Interesting, you don't care but you think she's finished. I don't think she's finished, not until something tangible comes out of this.

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2015, 02:18 PM

Like evidence tampering or destruction of evidence? Failing to truthfully sign your end of term agreement with the gov't?

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 02:30 PM

Interesting, you don't care but you think she's finished. I don't think she's finished, not until something tangible comes out of this.
I'm a man of many contradictions - a complicated person like an onion with many, many layers, making you cry as you peel... wait... never mind.

Okay, to be fair - maybe she isn't finished. I wish her luck. But she'll never get my vote.

The only good thing to come out of this will be a set of firm laws regarding government communications that fit the modern age - laws that feature severe penalties if broken.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 03:22 PM

I'll rephrase the first reporter's question. Madame Secretary, do you thing you would be treated differently if you were Conde Rice?
45/47

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2015, 04:40 PM

Nobody thinks its bad that Hillary and her staff made the determination on whether the Dept. of Snake would get the emails or not? No red flags or anything? No?

Then, there's this about how secure the server is:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015...curity-lapses/

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 05:22 PM

Sarah "turtle lover" Palin has chimed in with a pic.
45/47

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2015, 07:47 PM

Here is the bottom line. If Hillary has signed this document, The one Gen. Petraeus signed and is pleading guilty to violating, then she is trouble.
45/47

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2015, 07:28 AM

C'mon, she doesn't recognize any authority. She's a CLINTON!

SO...NOBODY read those emails before they were deleted???? Uh-huh.......

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...deleting-them/
( Last edited by BadKosh; Mar 13, 2015 at 11:51 AM. )

Snow-i
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2015, 05:12 PM

You make it sound like she did this special for her position. I suspect (feel free to show me if I'm wrong) that they had this email address since Bill left office, and she wanted to continue to use the service.
No, I'm saying she wanted to continue to use the service which she knew would protect her from having to turn over any emails.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2015, 10:26 AM

The NY Post is reporting that Valerie Jarrett is the source of the email leak. It's all part of a campaign to deny Hillary the nomination.
Obama adviser behind leak of Hillary Clinton’s email scandal | New York Post
45/47

BadKosh  (op)
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2015, 10:30 AM

I keep seeing the authorities, with all the correct paperwork, going to the location of the server, with orders to power it down and bring it to DC, and Hillary and the feds getting into a real tugging match. Should make for great TV.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
No, I'm saying she wanted to continue to use the service which she knew would protect her from having to turn over any emails.

It doesn't pass the sniff test.
Dude, that's the most obvious conclusion of the entire kerfuffle. Your phrasing however, made it seem like she went great lengths to get here. I really don't think she did.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 16, 2015, 11:51 AM

The only good thing to come out of this will be a set of firm laws regarding government communications that fit the modern age - laws that feature severe penalties if broken.
Well, from my understanding those laws already exist and went into effect after she left her post.

Forum Links
Forum Rules