Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > An IDE for Mac Apps That’s Not XCode

An IDE for Mac Apps That’s Not XCode
ghporter
Administrator
Jul 12, 2023, 07:55 PM

I’m looking for an IDE to develop simple MacOS (and maybe iOS/iPadOS) apps. I have XCode, and it’s got tons of bells and whistles, but there are issues.

Mostly, the best tutorials I’ve found for building Mac apps with XCode are Apple’s. There are a lot of tutorials on the web, but they all have some substantial flaws. Like not having “a clear, step-by-step narrative” for doing whatever they’re supposed to be about. Lots of those…

The problem with Apple’s tutorials is that they channel the user to write in Swift. I have tried it, really. And the paradigm is substantially different from my training and experience with C/C++. Basically it seems like Swift is a much higher-level language, with so much going on “under the hood” that I don’t see how the example code does stuff. That just doesn’t work for me.

So what IDEs are out there that won’t force me to learn a new programming language/paradigm? It would appear that you can use the Swift UI builder without writing your app in Swift, but it also seems that some IDEs can hook into that so you don’t have to use XCode…

In my thread asking whether 8GB of RAM is enough on an M1 or M2 laptop, subego recommended Nova. It looks great, but I am not sure I want to invest even their modest $99 price before I get to play with the thing. With that said, what else is out there that folks have used and been happy with? Thanks for any suggestions.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules