Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 33)
Railroader
Banned
Jun 18, 2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Montezuma58 View Post
HHGregg is giving a free HD-A2 with the purchase of a TV of $999 or more.
I took advantage of this sale last Saturday. But I upgraded for $100 to a better player. After buying it I went in search of HD-DVDs to rent. I went to three BlockBusters and none of them carried HD-DVD or BR. I ended up buying a disc at BestBuy.

I also picked up a TiVo Series3. I am listening to my iTunes collection right now through it. Because I don't have a commute to work anymore, this will enable me to listen to poscasts more conveniently. I love it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 11:41 AM

Isn't the TS3 an amazing machine?

I have the entire Star Wars Saga on it in HD. Plus podcasts and streaming pics, music, and movies through it is NICE.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
Excuses as to why Blockbuster doesn't matter? Excuse me? How about excuses why Blockbuster does matter. I can tell you the last time I rented a movie from Blockbuster. Oh wait, excuse me, I've never actually rented a movie from Blockbuster, but my family did. When I was six.
Oh right, I forgot the fact that you are the average American consumer template.

Did you call BB and tell them that you haven't rented a movie since you were six and not to bother with even DVD's anymore?

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
Oh right, I forgot the fact that you are the average American consumer template.

Did you call BB and tell them that you haven't rented a movie since you were six and not to bother with even DVD's anymore?
When was the last time you rented from a BB?
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

Railroader
Banned

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Isn't the TS3 an amazing machine?

I have the entire Star Wars Saga on it in HD. Plus podcasts and streaming pics, music, and movies through it is NICE.

I used to be a TiVo snob. I am now a TiVo Series3 snob. Anything else is substandard. It even makes watching golf entertaining. And I thought that was impossible.

Railroader
Banned

Actually, I don't know anyone who rents from Blockbuster anymore. Family Video seems to be getting all of their market share lately. A few Blockbusters have closed where I used to live. I only went there because the HHGreg salesman said they were the only place in the are he knew that rented HD-DVD discs. But alas, he was quite wrong about that as they don't rent HD-DVD or BR around here.

Netflix FTW.

Anyone here still rent from Blockbuster?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 11:59 AM

I haven't rented from BB since they decided to carry 'R' versions of NC-17 movies. That was what, 15 years ago?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2007, 12:09 PM

Because most of us tech-savvy online types don't rent at Blockbuster, it's irrelevant? It wasn't long ago that people were saying that Walmart was going to be deciding the format war because it would bring cheap HD-DVD players to the unwashed masses, but I didn't chime in saying that because I don't shop at Walmart it is meaningless. A chain with 8,000 stores worldwide choosing Blu-ray is actually pretty major news. It may be that PS3 owners are renting a lot more than they are buying.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 12:14 PM

I'm surprised more retailers aren't doing this. The format war is hurting them as much as anyone.

If I was a major retailer, I would want one format and as quickly as possible.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
Because most of us tech-savvy online types don't rent at Blockbuster, it's irrelevant?
Everyone I know is using Netflix. I don't just mean online tech savvy types.

Besides, who do you think the people are who are buying Bluray and HD-DVD players?
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 12:22 PM

Because most of us tech-savvy online types don't rent at Blockbuster, it's irrelevant? It wasn't long ago that people were saying that Walmart was going to be deciding the format war because it would bring cheap HD-DVD players to the unwashed masses, but I didn't chime in saying that because I don't shop at Walmart it is meaningless. A chain with 8,000 stores worldwide choosing Blu-ray is actually pretty major news. It may be that PS3 owners are renting a lot more than they are buying.
I know this HD-DVD users panic over the BB news is rather expected.

When they thought walmart was going HD-DVD they thought it was the saving grace even though the average wal-mart shipper fights over doorcrasher specials on toilet paper they must have HD-TV sets and want the best quality video one can buy. Ya.. that sounds like the typical Walmart shopper alright

Oh, and I haven't bought anything from Wal-mart since I was 6.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 12:27 PM

I just want the format war to end as soon as possible. I do not care who wins, as long as it happens soon.

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 12:30 PM

CC tried carrying BR only and that failed.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 12:40 PM

CC tried carrying BR only and that failed.
What happened? Did BR go under or stores get burnt down?

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 12:44 PM

What happened? Did BR go under or stores get burnt down?
/sigh

No, smartass. They wound up carrying both.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 12:47 PM

What's that experiment where you give a dog two bowls of food an equal distance from him? Because the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war is starting to seem like that.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 01:00 PM

The only thing I don't get is that BB report says that LAST YEAR 70% chose BR.

That can't be right as until the PS3 it wasn't selling much.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 01:01 PM

/sigh

No, smartass. They wound up carrying both.
Well duh but I don't see why they wouldn't have from the first place. It isn't like they had protesters outside the store demanding the HD or anything.

pooka
Mac Elite
Jun 18, 2007, 01:04 PM

I'm just confused as to why ANYONE would want Sony to win this war. Aren't these the same pricks associated with just about every major draconian DRM event in the last 30 years? I mean, hell, they make Microsoft look altruistic towards their customers. And forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't Sony still screwing with current batches of DVDs to prevent ripping? Yeah, I look forward to paying these assholes for the privilege of watching my movie collection on their terms. Sweet. I hope online delivery of content pulls the market right outta their teeth.

New, Improved and Legal in 50 States

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by pooka View Post
I'm just confused as to why ANYONE would want Sony to win this war.
Because next to Apple they make and design some of the best afordable consumer electronics and have never had a monopoly on media like Toshiba did with DVD and philips on CD's.

Not to mention BR has more storage and no matter what you say about sony THEY ARE BETTER THAN MICROSOFT!

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 02:04 PM

Because next to Apple they make and design some of the best afordable consumer electronics...
Ignoring the spelling, I'm not sure what your definition of affordable is. All I know is my Samsung HDTV has better specs and better quality than a comparable Sony. And the Sony in question actually has known quality issues. Oh, except the Sony has a glass frame around it for no apparent reason. Sucks to be me I guess.

(This also ignores the overpriced PS3, overpriced Sony phones, overpriced Bluray players...)

My TV:
Amazon.com: Samsung LNS4096D 40" 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics

The Sony:
Amazon.com: Sony KDL-40XBR2 40" Bravia XBR 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 02:05 PM

Ignoring the spelling, I'm not sure what your definition of affordable is. All I know is my Samsung HDTV has better specs and better quality than a comparable Sony. And the Sony in question actually has known quality issues. Oh, except the Sony has a glass frame around it for no apparent reason. Sucks to be me I guess.
Oh good we can have one of these arguments.

I had a Samsung TV before my Sony. It looked like **** in comparison and it cost $1500 more.... oh and it broke beyond repair after 8 months.

and by "affordable" I mean there is better out there than sony but B&O and $1500 DVD players by Marantz aren't in the same category.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 02:13 PM

I had a Samsung TV before my Sony. It looked like **** in comparison and it cost $1500 more.... oh and it broke beyond repair after 8 months.
Having seen the Sony and the Samsung side by side the Samsung edged out the Sony in quality. But the Samsung was $1000 cheaper. My Samsung has been trouble free so far. Not to mention my Samsung has more features.

I'm not sure what Samsung you found that cost $1500 more than a comparable Sony. I've never seen that.

and by "affordable" I mean there is better out there than sony but B&O and $1500 DVD players by Marantz aren't in the same category.
I've seen Sony "premium" DVD players fail in the worst possible ways. You can't convince me that there is anything "special" about Sony's build quality.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 02:30 PM

Having seen the Sony and the Samsung side by side the Samsung edged out the Sony in quality. But the Samsung was $1000 cheaper. My Samsung has been trouble free so far. Not to mention my Samsung has more features.

I'm not sure what Samsung you found that cost $1500 more than a comparable Sony. I've never seen that.
Well that's because you JUST got an HDTV where I have had one since 1999. Actually I have had 3.

So if you want to think you are the authority on it over me go nuts.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 02:32 PM

I've seen Sony "premium" DVD players fail in the worst possible ways. You can't convince me that there is anything "special" about Sony's build quality.

Absolutely. Take a look at the samsung up-converting DVD players from a year ago and go to the AVS forums where everyone has a Black or white crush issue with them that never got fixed.

Then look at the sony's. No problems.

Not to mention Samsung DLP's are notorious for audio delays (which I had on my set) because they used a CHEAP decoder where every other manufacturer had no problems.

Oh and the fact that the pro's on AVS consider the PS3 one of the best DVD and BR player on the market. Anything HD player... not so much.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 03:00 PM

Absolutely. Take a look at the samsung up-converting DVD players from a year ago and go to the AVS forums where everyone has a Black or white crush issue with them that never got fixed.

Then look at the sony's. No problems.
Whereas I've seen Sony's that just decide to stop accepting DVD's and start making grinding sounds. YMMV.

Not to mention Samsung DLP's are notorious for audio delays (which I had on my set) because they used a CHEAP decoder where every other manufacturer had no problems.
No "cheap audio decoder" issues on my Samsung LCD. Of course the Sony XBR line has been plagued with clouding issues.

Oh and the fact that the pro's on AVS consider the PS3 one of the best DVD and BR player on the market. Anything HD player... not so much.
An HD-DVD is much cheaper, and just as capable for playing movies. I think you're slightly ahead of yourself.

Railroader
Banned
Jun 18, 2007, 03:37 PM

He's not being entirely honest with you. He is comparing prices and models of TVs that were build a couple years from each other.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Railroader View Post
He's not being entirely honest with you. He is comparing prices and models of TVs that were build a couple years from each other.
Nope, 10 months and at the time the price difference was the same. Either way the samsung STILL had audio delays, serious image problems, died after 8 months.

Oh and TONS and TONS of reports of the exact same problems on the AVS forums if you want to look it up.

Lets skip the whole price thing. The samsung is still a POS and this has nothing to do with BR.

Oh except the Samsung BR player was also a typical piece of samsung **** with its defective ROM.
( Last edited by analogue SPRINKLES; Jun 18, 2007 at 03:51 PM. )

Railroader
Banned
Jun 18, 2007, 04:16 PM

Nope, 10 months and at the time the price difference was the same. Either way the samsung STILL had audio delays, serious image problems, died after 8 months.
Ahem... you bought the Samsung back in August 2004. That's about 5 generations of HDTV models models. They might, just might, not have the same issues.
Oh and TONS and TONS of reports of the exact same problems on the AVS forums if you want to look it up.
I don't want to look it up. You make a statement, you bring the data. You know how this works.
Lets skip the whole price thing. The samsung is still a POS and this has nothing to do with BR.
You brought it up and still are dissing them. You admit you are using FUD when referring to time-frames, and ignoring recent developments in HDTVs and then we can drop it.
Oh except the Samsung BR player was also a typical piece of samsung **** with its defective ROM.
I thought you wanted to drop the Samsung/Sony thing. Perhaps BR should lose because Samsung makes a bad BR player. I mean, that's almost the exact argument you use for BR winning because Sony makes a good BR player... I mean c'mon, be consistent.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 04:57 PM

I generally don't rent at Blockbuster either, although I did go there to check out the hi def discs. Basically, they had a poor selection of both, which is why I don't rent there.

However, that said, I do think it's a fairly nice shot in the arm for the Blu-ray camp.

As for those rotting Blu-ray discs, it does seem like a bad batch, but it certainly isn't very encouraging. Remember that basically nobody uses the top quality TDK method. Everyone seems to use their own formulation and method (cuz it's cheaper than TDK's) but it seems the QA for some just ain't up to snuff.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 05:26 PM

Look, I'm not saying Samsung is the bastion of quality. No where did I say that, and only one person in here took it that way. What I am saying is that just because Sony stamps their name on something, that doesn't mean it's a good product. I'm sure Samsung has had their quality control screw ups, but that doesn't mean all their products are screwed up. And I'm sure Sony has put out some good DVD players, but I've seen one of their premium 5 disc changers suddenly grind to a halt (literally).

If you're automatically assuming that a product is quality just because it has the Sony name on it, you're being taken for a ride. And Sony is using that to pump up the price of their XBR's by $1000 over other more than reasonable competitors.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2007, 05:42 PM

I'm not so much concerned about Sony quality as I am about their warranty process. My sis hates Sony because getting a Sony laptop repaired under warranty (at least in Canada) is a major pain in the ass sometimes.

I like the high end Sony TVs, but they are quite expensive. Their low end ones are more affordable, but not necessarily better than their cheaper-priced competition.

And I absolutely hate Sony software bundled with some of their consumer electronics products. I like their Sony Ericsson K790a phone, but the PC software that came with it is absolutely horrid. And of course, no Mac software came with it at all.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2007, 06:15 PM

Not to mention BR has more storage and no matter what you say about sony THEY ARE BETTER THAN MICROSOFT!
Wow. You seem to have a very irrational anthropomorphic view of companies. Microsoft have good products and bad products. Sony have good products and bad products. They both have dubious business tactics. But in the end they are both just that - businesses.

The fact that we have a format war at all is just detrimental to us all. We should simply pick the best and most convenient format and get over it.

And "most convenient" for yourself because you happened to invest in a PS3 and you hate Microsoft is a pretty weak one as arguments go.

For the record, I have no preference either way. They seem pretty equal to me, so I am just hoping for any resolution before Duke Nukem Forever comes out. *sigh*

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 06:36 PM

A chain with 8,000 stores worldwide choosing Blu-ray is actually pretty major news. It may be that PS3 owners are renting a lot more than they are buying.
I read earlier that they have just over 5000 stores now (after some massive closings), and that only about 1500 will be carrying HD titles (1250 BR exclusive). They sure aren't confident enough to roll it out to all stores...

However, no matter how you slice it this is horrible news for HD-DVD. The press alone is enough to give BluRay a boost.

I think it wont end up being a big deal, and it definitely wont be the issue that "decides" the format war.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 18, 2007, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I read earlier that they have just over 5000 stores now (after some massive closings), and that only about 1500 will be carrying HD titles (1250 BR exclusive). They sure aren't confident enough to roll it out to all stores...
The 8000 figure is worldwide (according to their own web site), while I believe they have around 5000 in the US. There will be 1700 stores carrying BR movies -- the ones in locations where they have judged the demand to be the greatest.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2007, 08:38 PM

The 8000 figure is worldwide (according to their own web site), while I believe they have around 5000 in the US. There will be 1700 stores carrying BR movies -- the ones in locations where they have judged the demand to be the greatest.
Sorry, so 1700 total and 1450 exclusive. Not much better for HD-DVD.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2007, 10:16 PM

Just Netflix both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD like I do. I used to subscribe to Blockbuster Online but the experience was just horrible (BB online in Safari is a piece of crap.) I can't see how anyone on Mac would prefer BB over Netflix for reasons other than Exchange In-Store deal but even that is not so great. They make a great deal of profit from quietly charging late fees to innocent customers.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 08:29 PM

Everyone I know is using Netflix. I don't just mean online tech savvy types.

Besides, who do you think the people are who are buying Bluray and HD-DVD players?
"Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement."

Hd Dvd On The Way Out?: Blockbuster's Blu-ray Endorsement Having Major Impact on HD DVD Player Sales - Gizmodo

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 08:53 PM

I'm sure glad someone made a decision! I couldn't care less which one wins I just want one to do it soon so I can buy one with some confidence that I'll be starting a collection with lasting value to me.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2007, 09:17 PM

Why? Does your machine blow up when one side wins?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 09:24 PM

Why? Does your machine blow up when one side wins?
Who wants to buy a second machine? Let alone have to keep it hooked up depending on which library you want to watch from.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2007, 09:31 PM

Buy a dual player.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 19, 2007, 09:35 PM

Dual players are more than expensive than just getting two players. Who wants to do that? Anyway, if HD-DVD really did lose at around this point (definitely too soon to proclaim that, but just speaking hypothetically), compatible hardware would get scarce pretty quickly. Manufacturers aren't likely to keep making players to support a small library that's not going to be getting any bigger. I don't blame people for not wanting to step in and buy either side until there is some better indication (more things like this Blockbuster story) that one side is going to win.

Ultimately, though, it's a matter of consumer perception. My sister, who is in college and not interested in most tech things, told me today that she had heard that people were buying more Blu-ray movies than "the other kind." I don't know where she read it, but clearly this story is affecting things.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 19, 2007, 09:41 PM

I haven't personally rented a Blockbuster movie in years, but then again I rarely buy DVDs either. I either get them through Sky or just download them. I suspect that it is similar with a lot of us tech savvy NNers. BUT this is besides the point.

Normal people, by that I mean non-techies, go to Blockbuster quite frequently. For instance, my parents go regularly, and my two most recent boyfriends went every week or two to pick up new releases.

I wouldn't underestimate this announcement's impact.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 09:44 PM

Buy a dual player.
More expensive than a standard player.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 19, 2007, 10:50 PM

"Blockbuster's decision to support Blu-ray in all of its 1,450 stores is having a bigger impact than it seems. A tipster at an unnamed retailer tells us they've had more HD DVD player orders canceled over the last few days than they've seen over the entire life cycle. The kicker? All of them were canceled because of the Blockbuster announcement."

Hd Dvd On The Way Out?: Blockbuster's Blu-ray Endorsement Having Major Impact on HD DVD Player Sales - Gizmodo
Which store was that, the Sony store? And what retailer takes backorders for HD-DVD players???

I call BS.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jun 19, 2007, 11:39 PM

"the other kind". You're telling me that people know what Blu-Ray is but not "the other kind"?

Laughable anecdotal story at best.

Yes, it's more expensive but you get the ability to watch EVERYTHING. I bought both players about a year ago this month (give or take) and I don't regret it one bit. While people like all of you are bitching and moaning for the last year about which one to get I'm actually WATCHING it.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 12:54 AM

Yes, it's more expensive but you get the ability to watch EVERYTHING. I bought both players about a year ago this month (give or take) and I don't regret it one bit. While people like all of you are bitching and moaning for the last year about which one to get I'm actually WATCHING it.
Well to be honest there are only about 3 titles on HD that I really want and I am not spending $300 for a player for just them.

That is laughable to me.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jun 20, 2007, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Which store was that, the Sony store? And what retailer takes backorders for HD-DVD players???

I call BS.
Yeah, that was the first thing I thought. HD-DVD players are released and on the market, so what kind of store would be taking backorders or reserves?

Unless HD-DVD players are actually getting sold out places, then SWG has a different sort of explaining to do.

And the other thing is no where do we get a scale of how many people canceled. For all we know, %5 of their orders getting canceled could be the largest cancelation of orders for HD-DVD players they've ever had. That's not exactly a huge deal.

This just has Sony fanboy BS written all over it.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 02:09 AM

Because most of us tech-savvy online types don't rent at Blockbuster, it's irrelevant?
Now I'd like to know: do you all buy your movies, or do pay-per-view, or how do you get your fill of movies?

Forum Links
Forum Rules