Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 94)
sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 30, 2007, 06:17 PM

That's why I got the product replacement warranty, it was only 40 bucks less than your repair bill but in the case of a malfunction of any kind you get a new unit.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 30, 2007, 08:15 PM

It's only been 15 months since I bought my 360 and I've used it pretty sparingly. However, it may be that my credit card's warranty-doubling service will take care of the repair fee even if I have to pay it. The only possible problem is that I bought it in Japan (I needed a Japanese model to be able to work on a translation job for a Japanese game) and I don't know how that will affect all of this. Interestingly, the guy on the Xbox support didn't mention that aspect at all. The warranty extension is supposed to be world-wide though.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
After searching about wtf a skill point was I am now as confused as you are.

Thanks.
Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Every time you are in a ranked match and win, you get a skill point. If you're in a team match and you're on a winning team, you get a skill point. You lose points when you lose.

That's basically how it works.
In case anyone still cares, I found a pretty good breakdown of how this works.
1. Your individual performance during a team game doesn't matter - if you lost, you lost, it doesn't matter how well you did personally.
2. Rank progression is NOT linear.
3. Rank progression is based on consistency and the rank of your opponents. That is, if you always lose to higher level opponents, and win most but still lose some to equal level opponents, you won't go up that match.
4. If you lose to someone lower level than you, your rank is going to suffer more. Winning against lower level players is expected, and will not assist you in going up.
5. I cannot say this enough - just winning more than you lose isn't going to get you rank. It is but one requirement. As I said, if you're not beating higher leveled players consistently, you don't go up a level because you haven't earned it.
6. Rank will initially change often, but once you get to a certain point, the system becomes statistically certain about your level in a playlist, and just playing games and winning is no longer enough to go up - you have to consistently win against higher leveled players and not lose to lower level players.
7. Please, PLEASE stop assuming things aren't working because it doesn't work how it did in Halo 2. Playing and winning only guarentees your EXP goes up, it doesn't guarentee your skill level goes up. That depends on who you are playing

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 2, 2007, 12:22 PM

I love you, but yeah...kinda makes sense I guess.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 01:08 PM

Well as a Halo newb, I have to say the system certainly seems strong when the it is able to get its optimum conditions: matches between opponents with equal skill rank. Those almost always end up being dead heats.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 2, 2007, 03:36 PM

Just an update: the very next time I tried turning on my 360, I got the infamous three red lights, so Microsoft is going to fix it for free. I'm glad I didn't agree to pay the $99...

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2007, 03:53 PM

High-five!

NYK Ace
Senior User
Nov 2, 2007, 05:37 PM

just got my 360 back from the red ring of death repair, im pretty sure im going to sell it now while its still working and get a ps3, the whole experience has soured me even further on microsoft as a company

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 6, 2007, 11:38 AM

Here's a strange problem I encountered last night. A while ago I got a white 360 controller and the recharge kit. Then I got an elite with the black controller. Last week the black controller starting flaking out so I threw the white rechargeable in and continued playing. Last night I decided it'd be a good time to recharge it before I go to bed, so I grabbed the recharge cable, jacked it into my iMac and then into the elite controller. The red light was so dim I questioned whether it was on. I left it on for an hour and nothing changed. FInally, I took the battery out, put it in the white controller, then, attached the recharge cable to it. The red recharge light came up bright and immediately.

What the hell? The recharge kit isn't compatible with the elite controller?

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 12:46 PM

As always I stump you people. Or put you to sleep

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 12:49 PM

Not stumped - it is compatible. You probably have a broken controller.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hmmm... as in the charging part is broken?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 12:55 PM

That's what it sounds like. Probably a loose connection in there.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 01:24 PM

Ah well, at least its not the three rings of death.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 04:48 PM

For he's a sexy good fellllll-ooooww!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 8, 2007, 04:52 PM

BTW, Bungie has updated Halo 3 profiles. Looks even nicer.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 07:17 PM

Mr. Lieutenant 2nd Class ova hea!

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 09:22 AM

I make progress.

I'm sure you or Starman would utterly eradicate me anyway.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 10:18 AM

Assassin's Creed gets a 9.5 in Game Informer:
Game Informer Online

Sounds like a winner.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2007, 01:00 PM

That game really oozes style, and it's probably the first game i want to play on the XB360/PS3. I've always been a huge fan of the Prince Of Persia(the originals and the recent trilogy), and Assasins looks like a nice evolution of those games.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 01:06 PM

I'll have download the demo, if there is one.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2007, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
I'll have download the demo, if there is one.
They said there never will be a demo. Since the design of the game is a large 'free world' open map, they can't break it up to package into a demo.

I might check it out, but I'm going to wait and read up more, as UBI has a spotty track record for me.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 9, 2007, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
They said there never will be a demo. Since the design of the game is a large 'free world' open map, they can't break it up to package into a demo.

I might check it out, but I'm going to wait and read up more, as UBI has a spotty track record for me.
Makes sense. I couldn't see a GTA demo either.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 9, 2007, 04:33 PM

I haven't been following recent developments with this game, but I didn't get the impression that it was a totally free game in the manner of GTA. But even if it was, that doesn't mean that a demo is impossible. Saints Row on the 360 had a demo, and it's as close to GTA as you can get.

Ubisoft's cash-in games on the Wii made me lose a lot of respect for them, but we'll see.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2007, 01:54 PM

Gametrailers.com - Assassin's Creed - Launch Trailer Awesome Assassin's Creed trailer..... with the lack of a Wii version of this game.... dare i say that this might be the game i get a XB360/PS3 for.....

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2007, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by NYK Ace View Post
just got my 360 back from the red ring of death repair, im pretty sure im going to sell it now while its still working and get a ps3, the whole experience has soured me even further on microsoft as a company
That's EXACTLY what I did when I got the red ring of death and had it repaired. Went right to Ebay and used the proceeds to buy a PS3. Couldn't be happier.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 12:54 PM

I've got to say, I love XBOX Live. A friend txted me while I was at work to tell me he signed up, so I went to the live website and added him as a friend. Already I can see he's doing a Halo campaign.

PaperNotes
Nov 15, 2007, 12:56 PM

I've got to say, I love XBOX Live. A friend txted me while I was at work to tell me he signed up, so I went to the live website and added him as a friend. Already I can see he's doing a Halo campaign.
Your friend needs new games.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 01:00 PM

Please die.

PaperNotes
Nov 15, 2007, 01:02 PM

If I can't find a medipack in the next corridor...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2007, 01:15 PM

A kid my roomie works with sold his PS3 solely due to the lack of decent online matchmaking.

Xbox live is the 800lb gorilla of the console world.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I haven't been following recent developments with this game, but I didn't get the impression that it was a totally free game in the manner of GTA. But even if it was, that doesn't mean that a demo is impossible. Saints Row on the 360 had a demo, and it's as close to GTA as you can get.
They already stated and said it directly in interviews there would be no demo. The last interview with Jade Raymond they ask, and she told them there will be no demo due to the way the worlds are created. Also GTA was broken into 3-4 sections, this game is all loaded and running so there are no break points. Unless it was design with a demo in mind from the start its not going to happen (According to them).

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2007, 05:27 PM

If anyone looking to pick up a console, Amazon is having a promo where you can vote for a huge Thanksgiving discount on Nov 22nd.

$139 Playstation 3
$99 XBox360
$79 Wii.

They will only have 1,000 of which ever will win.

Amazon Customers Vote Homepage

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2007, 06:11 PM

If anyone looking to pick up a console, Amazon is having a promo where you can vote for a huge Thanksgiving discount on Nov 22nd.

$139 Playstation 3
$99 XBox360
$79 Wii.

They will only have 1,000 of which ever will win.

Amazon Customers Vote Homepage
That's how I got my $100 XBox 360 last year!

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2007, 08:27 PM

I tried to get one last year, but it was crazy. The servers were pummeled. I did get a couple of other things though. Looks like this year they are just randomly giving people the opportunity to buy things, which sounds like a better plan that the earlier free-for-all. They may also have Blu-ray/HD-DVD players for $149.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 15, 2007, 08:31 PM

They already stated and said it directly in interviews there would be no demo. The last interview with Jade Raymond they ask, and she told them there will be no demo due to the way the worlds are created. Also GTA was broken into 3-4 sections, this game is all loaded and running so there are no break points. Unless it was design with a demo in mind from the start its not going to happen (According to them).
I'm not arguing that there will be a demo, just that if they really wanted to make one, they surely could. It's probably not cost effective to do it.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 12:10 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 12:56 AM

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:32 AM

Man, Super Mario Galaxy is truly fun. Freshest experience I've had in a long time.

I'm so pissed off about Assassin's Creed. No Subtitle at all and dialogue is the most important part of the game

Also got Call of Duty 4 (easily 10/10 for both single/multiplayer), Orange Box, Ace Combat 6, Blazing Angel 2, Metroid Prime 3. I haven't finished any of them, even some of the slightly older games such as Halo 3, Bioshock, Resident Evil 4 wii, etc. That is awesome and sad at same time. I plan to get Ratchet & Clanket for PS3, Uncharted, RE: Umbrella Chronicle, Wii Zapper next week. I guess I'm set for many months although even more great games are coming in Jan-March (Burnout Paradise, GTA4, Smash Bro Brawl, etc)

PaperNotes
Nov 16, 2007, 03:36 AM

Sad week. Assassin's Creed is getting just a little above average reviews. Pro Street is disappointing. It tries to be a legit racing game and then ****s up with lousy controls and unoptimised use of graphics hardware. I predict they'll go back to the streets, bring back cop chases and arcade controls. Just like it should be for NFS.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
BTW, how is the Wii still in shortage? I realize its selling well, but I don't think its selling that well.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 01:36 PM

I forgot to mention, I downloaded Carcassonne of Live Arcade, which is available free because of Live's 5th anniversary. I like it, its a nice alternative when I want to play something to kill some time.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 02:07 PM

BTW, how is the Wii still in shortage? I realize its selling well, but I don't think its selling that well.
It still sells out here as soon as a store gets stock. But either Nintendo simply doesn't have the manufacturing capacity that Microsoft and Sony have (dunno how likely that is), or they're artificially keeping supply low to keep demand high.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 02:10 PM

I suspect the second, but both are equally pathetic. I'd be curious to see a comparison of systems shipped x amount of time in between the Cube and the Wii.

starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 16, 2007, 02:20 PM

If they're artificially keeping the supply low, it's now biting them in the ass.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:47 PM

According to this Kotaku post, Nintendo is making 1.8 million Wiis a month globally.

I can't give an exact number for November and December. We had to make our final decision on how much to produce each month for the holidays back in the summer. It takes about five months for us to increase the actual monthly rate of production. We're at a rate now worldwide of about 1.8 million Wiis produced every month, and that's going to sustain itself until we get on top of this.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2007, 02:50 PM

So after a year they're already half-way to the total amount of GameCubes sold - and that's with a continual shortage. Pretty damn impressive.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2007, 03:42 PM

I forgot to mention, I downloaded Carcassonne of Live Arcade, which is available free because of Live's 5th anniversary. I like it, its a nice alternative when I want to play something to kill some time.
I actually bought it when I got my XBox.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

fhoubi
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 07:10 PM

Super Mario Galaxy is awesome. However can somebody confirm: saving/loading a game does not include no. of lifes; after a load it is reset to 4 (5?) ??
I'm-a trying to wonder, wonder, wonder why you, wonder, wonder why you act so.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 07:49 PM

It's happening to me too.
I was not impressed when I loaded my game and there were 35 missing lives.

Forum Links
Forum Rules