Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > A little CSS help?

A little CSS help?
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 12, 2008, 03:36 PM

I've just completed a slight redesign of my comic book library, even managed to get rid of the 1px gap beneath the navigation tabs in Firefox in Windows (though Safari in Windows remains fudged)...

Anyway, all is valid and good in every browser except for one thing. The "Enlarge Cover" text beneath a cover image is left-aligned in Internet Explorer 7 where it is meant to be center-aligned.

Here is an example: Chuck Dugan is AWOL - megasad.com/comics

Does anyone know why this might be?

Thanks in advance for any help.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

andi*pandi
Apr 14, 2008, 09:44 AM

odd, when I turned on the IE7 developer tool, "enlarge cover" centered itself.

I would try not nesting the text in the same paragraph/link as the image. Or consider it an "acceptable degradation".

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 14, 2008, 09:51 AM

I tested it in IE6 earlier and have the same problem. As I want the cover and text to be the same link, I guess I'll just have to accept the left-alignedness. It's more confusing than anything else; why does IE do this and no other browser?
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 14, 2008, 11:35 AM

Why is everything wrapped in a table with manually defined attributes? I'm not saying this is your particular problem here, but it seems unnecessary. If you are interested in simplifying your code base, you might solve this particular problem as a bonus

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2008, 04:25 PM

Those last vestigial bits of table-for-layout are because I wasn't happy with how the page behaved at small screen sizes when I used floats. Same reason that the breadcrumbs and the search bar at the very top are in one too. As I am applying the centering to a td, I suppose that could be the problem, but when I've tried applying it to the paragraph around the link, that hasn't helped at all.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 15, 2008, 04:27 PM

Why not replace the floats with relative CSS positioning?

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2008, 10:06 AM

Relative positioning is nasty; when you make text bigger in the browser, things start overlaying on top of each other. That always makes me sad when I see it on other websites, so I do not use it.

Then I did some Googling and realised I was probably thinking of position:absolute, which is what I used long ago, which is the one where things overlap. I am foolish busy for the next couple of weeks, but then I shall look at this. Thanks.

In the meanwhile, does anyone know a simple change I could make to my CSS to make the "Enlarge Cover" text centred? I can't help but think that if I just knew which element to apply the centering to, all would be well.

andi*pandi
Apr 17, 2008, 10:11 AM

proper css depends on good markup. You've nested an image and text in one paragraph tag--as I said before, I think breaking the enlarge image part out would help.

you probably need to add centering to the a element.

if your floats break when you increase font size, it is perhaps due to improper font sizing technique. Check out alistapart, search for css text size and there's a great article.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2008, 10:22 AM

text-align: center

will center align text within a block. Relative positioning works relative to its parent div block. It works fine for simple two/three column layouts. Tables come in handy for putting actual content into a table, but the vast majority of the time you can count on not using any tables for layout.

Forum Links
Forum Rules