Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Starting college in the fall, dilemma with laptop

Starting college in the fall, dilemma with laptop
Parvez
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 08:33 PM

I will be going to St. John's University (In New York, Queens Campus) this coming fall. And I seem to fall into a situation where a lot of students do. St. John's will be giving every incoming freshmen an IBM (I don't know what model it is but take a look at the picture: St. John's University -- Information Technology -- Academic Computing Initiative -- Laptop Program -- Laptop Program). I can bet my Macbook > SJU's ALL IBMS. (heh)

I bought my own Macbook last year with my own internship money that I earned over the summer. I have the 1.83GHz, 1GB and 80GB HDD Macbook. Here is my now problem now... I don't know if I should sell this and get a MBP for dorm or stick with the Macbook and max out the RAM and buy it from NewEgg or Crucial.

I'd love to sell this Macbook... but I don't know how much I can sell it for. At this point, I don't know what to do.

Any inputs?

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 08:56 PM

bump?

zro
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 09:01 PM

Bump after not even half a hour?

See what your model MacBook is going for on ebay. What will you be doing with it (MBP or IBM) as far as school goes?

Rumor
May 15, 2008, 09:04 PM

I would recommend seeing what kind of programs you will be required to run and what kind of requirements they have. That would be a good starting point. Your MacBook may be sufficient, though you also may have to install BootCamp or VMWare.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 09:06 PM

Why on earth do you want to get an MBP for your dorm if you just bought a MacBook?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 15, 2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Why on earth do you want to get an MBP for your dorm if you just bought a MacBook?
I bought it when the first Macbook came out... not recently. It's a CoreDuo.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 15, 2008, 09:10 PM

Your options are not really helpful:

Either get a MBP for dorm
or
stick with the Macbook and max out the RAM and buy it from NewEgg or Crucial.

-t

zerostar
Mac Elite
May 15, 2008, 09:29 PM

Yeah I don't understand the dilemma.... If you have the money definitely get the MBP it is really a pro machine, if you don't the macbook is no slouch either A free thinkpad is nice too so its really a personal preference.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
May 15, 2008, 09:31 PM

If it was me, I'd keep the MacBook and also take the free Windows laptop. But I'm cheap.

Paco500
Professional Poster
May 16, 2008, 02:52 AM

Unless your MacBook is not doing something you will need or REALLY want to do, I'd max the RAM and stick with it. It's not obsolete tech by any stretch on the imagination so I'd spend your money elsewhere or save it until there is a true generational shift in technology.

But that's me as a "responsible adult." When I was your age I probably would have thrown caution to the wind and spent the dosh. I didn't get a handle on financial discipline until I was well out of uni.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2008, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
financial discipline

naphtali
Dedicated MacNNer
May 16, 2008, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Says the man who's getting a MacPro because of his new desk (and gaming)

@OP- What's your course? Your computing needs will very much depend on what you applications you'll need during term

If it's just general word processing and productivity stuff, your current MacBook will definitely be sufficient.

Even the IBM will be a nice machine - if I had to get a Windows laptop it'd be a ThinkPad. They are generally durable and fast. The picture on the site may just be a placeholder, and not be indicative of anything. It's very likely that the skeletal specs they posted are outdated as well.

Anyhow, I had to choose a notebook for college very recently too. I eventually went for the 15" MBP, since I didn't really like the resolution of the MacBooks. The MBP's a nice fit for my course, and I'm quite confident it'll last through the entire time.

One thing I don't really like is that MBP + textbooks make up quite a load, especially since I have a daily commute. Even though you have a dorm room you might want to think about that.

I would suggest that you take a look at the specs of the ThinkPad first. It's very likely sufficient for your needs since it's spec-ed out by your college. Unless you really can't stand Windows, you really can't beat free!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2008, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
If it was me, I'd keep the MacBook and also take the free Windows laptop. But I'm cheap.
I upgraded to a MacBook from an 800MHz iBook G4. If you didn't need the MBP when you bought your MacBook, you don't need one now. Keep your MacBook, take the free IBM, and save your money for something you actually need.

bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
May 16, 2008, 10:46 AM

Yeah... I'm apt to agree with the guys above......

However.. I understhand the need for a newer lappy. Here's what I think.

Go to everymac.com and price your current lappy. Then go to ebay and your local craigslist. See what it's selling for on all 3... find a good average price and then drop it by like $100. It'll sell quickly that way.

Then take the money, put it towards the MBP. Sell the IBM if you have to and install bootcamp and max out the RAM to 4gb anyways. That way you've got a new MBP, maxed out and you can run your Windows needs on Bootcamp. Problem solved. All told you'll probably pocket a couple hundred dollars at the end of this.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 16, 2008, 03:14 PM

Parvez, if you simply want a new Mac then that is subjective issue you need to work out.

However, if the question is one of need (and thus logic) then I do not see why you would require a new Mac, nor do I see much of a dilemma . The MacBooks, even the earliest ones, are plenty fast. Unless you're going to be doing work requiring a true GPU or need to squeeze out all the CPU power you can from a notebook, then you're better off upgrading your MacBook to meet your needs for much less than the price of a new MacBook Pro.

Personally, I prefer to max my RAM and get the highest capacity hard drive I can. There are 320 GB (300 GB, really) drive out there, and soon there should be 500 GB drives available, too. I just upgraded my own MacBook's HD, BTW. For RAM, if it's an older MacBook (as you say), you can opt for an unequal 3 GB or a matching 4 GB, though the latter may be financially worthwhile.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2008, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by naphtali View Post
Says the man who's getting a MacPro because of his new desk (and gaming)
Proves my point doesn't it ?

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2008, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Parvez View Post
...St. John's will be giving every incoming freshmen an IBM (I don't know what model it is but take a look at the picture: St. John's University -- Information Technology -- Academic Computing Initiative -- Laptop Program -- Laptop Program). I can bet my Macbook > SJU's ALL IBMS. (heh)
Is anyone else seeing what I'm seeing?

That ThinkPad is running the long-dead Mac version of Internet Explorer! Which means that the uni must totally be supplying them with either 10.4 or 10.5, yes? So you'll have two laptops that can run both Windows and the Mac OS! Oh my, the exclamations!
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 17, 2008, 07:09 PM

That'd be nice, but the picture on that laptop is simulated.

The MacBook is a great computer, and the IBM is probably nice too. You could keep them both and be happy.

Or, if you really want a Pro, just sell them both and buy one.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
May 18, 2008, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
That'd be nice, but the picture on that laptop is simulated...
It couldn't be that the ThinkPads just have the bestest viewing angles everer? Dang... I suppose it running full screen, no hint of a menubar, was what gave it away
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 03:49 AM

Wow - this thread is still alive. I PMed a MOD and told him to delete this thread and he said it'll die by itself. I guess it didn't.

Anyways.. thanks for all the response. I asked a lot of people and everyone says to keep the Macbook and the free IBM. Just max out the RAM.

So I went to everymac dot com today and placed an order for:

HDD: 120.0GB Western Digital "Scorpio" 5400RPM 9... (WD1200BEVE) at OWC
RAM: 2.0GB Matched Pair (1.0GB x 2 Kit) PC5300... (53DR2SPAIR2G) at OWC

I looked up on Youtube on replacing both and it's pretty easy.

I'll keep both laptops and I don't have to install XP on the Macbook since I'll have the IBM beside me.

grinder
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 03:54 AM

You bumped it after half an hour and then PMed a mod so he would delete it? You must be new to internet forums.

Congrats on the upgrades and the free computers. I hear ThinkPads work great with Linux. If I were you, I'd get Ubuntu or something and play around a bit.
2,4GHz iMac | 320GB Passport | BT Keyboard | MX Revolution | 4GB iPod nano
Blog | Flickr | deviantART

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 18, 2008, 04:01 AM

No, I am not new to zeh interwebs.

Just that this forum is just different from other mac forums. He said that MODs are not generally allowed to delete threads. You just let the thread die itself.

And thanks I am planning on getting an external hdd in Black Friday.
( Last edited by Parvez; May 18, 2008 at 04:08 AM. )

BoingoBongo
Dedicated MacNNer
May 18, 2008, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
It couldn't be that the ThinkPads just have the bestest viewing angles everer? Dang... I suppose it running full screen, no hint of a menubar, was what gave it away
Usually I can pick up sarcasm on the internet, but man, not that time. Reaming accepted.

megasad
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2008, 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by BoingoBongo View Post
Usually I can pick up sarcasm on the internet, but man, not that time. Reaming accepted.
No-no, no sarcasm (or reaming) was intended, I was just trying to be naïve, found the picture funny was all.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
May 19, 2008, 07:32 AM

Why not take the thinkpad, your tuition paid for it. I'd say keep the MB and take the thinkpad.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 19, 2008, 12:17 PM

I agree with your decision to keep the MB add RAM and also use the IBM. When a college takes a big step like providing a specific computer to students it is fairly likely that some specific usages, like coordinated courseware, may facilitate much easier on the (yechh) supplied Win box. And there likely are benefits to being on the identical page as the rest of the students.

If in a year or two it turns out that Win-specific usage is not all that relevant you can sell both boxes and buy a MBP. Even if Win usage is very relevant, Boot Camp or Parallels operation may be so good in a year or two that owning a PC box is totally irrelevant.

Also students often change academic direction in the first year or two of college. A year or two from now you can optimize a single new box for future needs.

-Allen Wicks

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 19, 2008, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I decided not to buy a MBP. I am keeping both IBM and the MB. I ordered RAM + HDD from everymac.com I am waiting for it to be shipped to my home (UPS ground service =\)

Parvez  (op)
Forum Regular
May 22, 2008, 09:14 PM

Just wanted to let you guys know that I got the new RAM + HDD. Both were installed perfectly without any problems. I am going to install Leopard right now

Forum Links
Forum Rules