Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > MacBook Air SuperDrive + 24" LED DIsplay

MacBook Air SuperDrive + 24" LED DIsplay
megasad
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2009, 11:00 AM

I know this is pretty random, but would someone who has both the items in this thread's title please post some photos of the SuperDrive sitting on the Display's stand, slot facing forwards? Both from the front, sides and back? Is the cable long enough to be routed through the hole in the back of the stand? And is it possible to sit the Display on top of the SuperDrive or is the base too large? Thanks!
( Last edited by megasad; Jul 25, 2009 at 11:17 AM. )
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

ibook_steve
Jul 25, 2009, 12:02 PM

I don't have either of these, but from the pictures at the Apple store, I can pretty much guarantee the cable would not be long enough.

And you really do not want to put a heavy display on top of an optical drive. You'll crush it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
I don't have either of these, but from the pictures at the Apple store, I can pretty much guarantee the cable would not be long enough.

And you really do not want to put a heavy display on top of an optical drive. You'll crush it.
See, both those things seem likely but so then what I wonder is (i) whether a USB extension cable will work and (ii) whether the SuperDrive is carved out of a block of aluminium and, if so, if that means placing a 10kg display on top is okay.
BayBook (13" MacBook Pro, 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD) // BayPhone (iPhone 4, 32GB, black)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2009, 03:17 AM

The cable is not long enough to go through the hole in the stand.
I just put it to the right of my MBA.

I agree with ibook_steve; I would not suggest trying to place anything heavy on top of the SuperDrive, especially the display.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2009, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by megasad View Post
See, both those things seem likely but so then what I wonder is (i) whether a USB extension cable will work and (ii) whether the SuperDrive is carved out of a block of aluminium and, if so, if that means placing a 10kg display on top is okay.
1. Yes, a USB extension should work fine.
2. The aluminum portion does not extend to the full height of the drive, so regardless of the strength of the aluminum portion, the plastic (I think) part is actually supporting the weight. Don't do it.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2009, 11:03 AM

Superdrive on top of display base would probably work, I wouldn't put the display on top of the drive though. For cable it probably depends on where you position the Air in relation to the display and the distance between them.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2009, 01:17 PM

I believe the superdrive also uses a custom USB port with more power than USB's supposed to take so I'm not sure it'll work through a display's port.

megasad  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2009, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I believe the superdrive also uses a custom USB port with more power than USB's supposed to take so I'm not sure it'll work through a display's port.
As I understand things it's not the extra power that's the limiting factor but that the drive expects a certain handshake back from the MacBook Air. Apple apparently took this into account with the 24" LED Display, it passes said handshake along. Whether a normal USB extension cable would interfere, tooki says no, so that should be fine.

Has anyone bothered to try using the Air with an older 20", 23" or 30" Apple display? They have USB hubs built in but I've no idea if they will let the Air SuperDrive work through them. Which is more an idle wondering, I plan on buying an Air and the 24" display.

And all the rest have convinced me that perhaps settling the display on top of the drive may not be the best of ideas, so I leave that alone.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2009, 08:40 PM

You could always pop into an Apple store/reseller and give the hardware combination a try before you buy!

Forum Links
Forum Rules