Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Would you like a touch screen on the new iMacs?

Would you like a touch screen on the new iMacs?
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jun 20, 2007, 01:59 AM

Repeatedly touchscreens are rumored to be in the new iMacs to come.

I can't believe this. For most uses this doesn't make sense. If you do color sensitive work on your professionally calibrated iMac, would you enjoy having the screen full of light reflecting smudges?

(Even if you wash your hands all day, your skin has a certain amount of fat, which is released by touch. Any criminologist knows)

What's your take on this rumour?

P
Jun 20, 2007, 08:43 AM

Next week, a doctor with a flashlight will show us where Mac rumors come from.

It's one of those ideas that look good on paper but suck in real life. There are touchscreen add-ons for iMacs - have existed for years - as well as for most display sizes. They work fine in OS X and Windows. They're not exactly high sellers - used mainly in kiosks. Noone ever complained that a keyboard and mouse were difficult to use - problematic ergonomically, perhaps, but then a touch screen is worse.

Tarcat
Forum Regular
Jun 20, 2007, 10:09 AM

Not really. The ones i've used are very inprecise. Fingers are just too wide for them to be a precise input. I'm fine with a mouse and keyboard.

JonoMarshall
Senior User
Jun 20, 2007, 10:16 AM

I like the idea of a more creative/connected interface (tablet based screens, etc), but clumsily fingering a screen (although entertaining) might become extremely frustrating.

It's not as if a touchscreen iMac wouldn't have the regular ports for your alternative input needs so I say bring it on! (It'd also help Apple keep the cool/desirability edge if nothing else.)

Imagine creating artwork by blowing on the screen, blurring with your thumb, zooming in/out with the pinch, etc. You could have your regular tablet in one hand and be pinching/playing on the screen with the other, yey.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 20, 2007, 10:50 AM

Multi-touch in a iMac: no.

Multi-touch in a MB or MBP: yes.
Signature depreciated.

Altered_Ego
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 20, 2007, 02:55 PM

I used to think touchscreen would be Kool.... But I have to admit my poor arms and hands would get tired really quickly.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 21, 2007, 02:51 AM

I like keyboard shortcuts best, supported by mousing.

I don't think there is anything a touchscreen functionality could do better than traditional input methods.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 21, 2007, 11:50 AM

What if the next iMac was really a tablet-on-a-stand? It's almost there already - just add the touch-screen and battery.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2007, 01:23 AM

That would be a pretty heavy tablet.

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post
Repeatedly touchscreens are rumored to be in the new iMacs to come.

I can't believe this. For most uses this doesn't make sense.
100% agree. A computer is a too much complicated device to be operated directly from the screen, with the execption of very simple tasks. However, a touch-screen input peripheral is something to think about. I don't see how at this moment, but I would not discount it so easily either.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2007, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
100% agree. A computer is a too much complicated device to be operated directly from the screen, with the execption of very simple tasks. However, a touch-screen input peripheral is something to think about. I don't see how at this moment, but I would not discount it so easily either.
You mean like a tablet, or like a larger mousepad, only for finger tips?

Generally, touchscreens may be interesting for tablet computers. I could imagine using a touchscreen tablet for dictating texts I currently have to type.

Well, unfortunatly, Dragon naturally speaking, the only good speech recognition software, that can handle professional writing, is PC (and I don't mean Policitcally Correct).

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 23, 2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pierre B. View Post
100% agree. A computer is a too much complicated device to be operated directly from the screen, with the execption of very simple tasks.
True. Now imagine Apple doing it anyway, with a "finger-paint" app bundled. Kids would be begging for them. The "Core Image Fun House" app would work great too.

I let my nephew play with TuxPaint sometimes. He drove me crazy until his mom downloaded it onto her computer.

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 23, 2007, 01:44 PM

I find no point in multi-touch in the iMacs and not much more in a macbook pro since most people would use multi-touch with the screen down on a horizontal and not vertical position.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 23, 2007, 11:14 PM

After trying out the HP touchscreen all-in-one, I'd have to say...

.... no.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2007, 11:58 PM

I want a photo Friendly app on a touch screen, like they show in the multi touch demos(not apples iphone one). something i can touch Digital photos with. it would help Immensely for photo-shoots. Microsoft's surface stuff on the table was good, not so much the wireless stuff but the touch screen table is a must have for me, with the right OS/software(Mac/Aperture multi-touch) it would be Amazing!

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2007, 07:54 PM

If I really need a touch sensitive solution, I'd go with a tablet.

Maybe a new computer model with touchscreen, but I hope it won't be the iMac targeted with such an "improvement".

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 24, 2007, 08:16 PM

sorry i strayed from the topic a bit, the imac shouldn't be forced with this Tech, but rather have the option(like the glossy, Matte) for norm or touch.

P
Jun 25, 2007, 10:07 AM

Buy one then.

Troll Touch Touchscreens

No affiliation, it's just what showed up when I typed "touchscreen iMac" in Google. Some people seem to think that Apple should move to a touchscreen interface as the default instead of the keyboard/mouse combo, and that's what I have a problem with.

MattJeff
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2007, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Buy one then.

Troll Touch Touchscreens
but the point of having a touch screen for me is to have the programs to go with it. i would want some of that multi touch and surface tech available with a touch screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules