Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Limited remote logins on Mac Mini

Limited remote logins on Mac Mini
Artanis
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 07:46 AM

I have suceeded thanks to you guys to install a Mini Mac as a LAN disk drive. It works GREAT, but I have a big problem: IT DOESN"T ALLOW MORE THAN 10 LOGINS on the account at the same time. How can I change this to allow more than 10 users? The thing is that I need 14.

Thank you guys, and I hope I you can help me with this too because the Mini Mac works great, much better than the previous "Linksys" LAN disk drive that we had.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 04:53 PM

14 logins from the same account?? why??
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Artanis  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2006, 06:26 PM

Because I have 14 Macs in my network that need to be connected to the Mini Mac at the same time. Is there something I can do, some setting that will allow more than 10 users in the same time connected to the Mini Mac?

Tsilou B.
Senior User
Aug 7, 2006, 07:40 PM

No, unfortunately there's no setting. If you need support for more than 10 users, you'll have to buy Mac OS X Server Unlimited.

Of course you could also use SAMBA for Windows filesharing - it's free and there are no limitations, or you could install Linux and use netatalk, which is a free Apple File Sharing server.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 11:26 PM

If the Mac is always up, and you are on a completely secure network, you could use NFS. You would have to ensure that the UIDs on the various machines are arranged appropriately, but you would probably just have an easier time with the proper OS X Server.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules