Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Keurig [WARNING: yet another coffee thread]

Keurig [WARNING: yet another coffee thread]
Railroader
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 11:19 PM

After experiencing the amazing eye-opening experience of roasting and grinding our own beans I decided we were simply wasting far too much time obsessing over coffee. In addition, going back to school and my wife going back to work full-time has not left us with a lot of free time for pursuing the perfect cup of coffee. And the roasting and grinding and brewing was messy and time consuming.

During a visit to a friend's house I was introduced to a Flavia machine. VERY convenient, but the coffee left MUCH to be desired. But the convenience factor really struck home. No clean up, simply pop in a coffee packet and push a button and you have coffee.

[For the uninformed, Flavia and Keurig are just two of many different single serving coffee brewing machines on the market.]

So when I got home I did some research. I remembered about the Senseo and after a little bit of research discovered the Tassimo.

A few reviews on snob coffee drinking web sites caught my eye about the Keurig machine. The vast amount of flavors and varieties really struck me. And the very positive reviews were a huge surprise.

After about 8 more hours of research on the net about the Keurig we bit the bullet and bought their budget model.

I couldn't be happier.

The coffee VERY good. Very fresh. And very convenient.

The only downside is that the price per cup is about $0.38. Still far cheaper and tastier than Starbucks, but not as cheap, or flavorful, as roasting and grinding your own beans.

So far my favorite brews are:
Green Mountain - Lake and Lodge
Newman's - Organic
Timothy's - German Chocolate Cake
Gloria Jean's - Hazelnut

For those of you who have one, what is a brew I MUST try? What are your favorite selections?

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:24 PM

i hate coffee. Coke is the same thing and gets me up in the morning!
Signature depreciated.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO
i hate coffee. Coke is the same thing and gets me up in the morning!
Did you think this was a thread about the discussion of coffee in general and a poll about whether or not people like coffee or other drinks?

At least you didn't make a reference to tooki.

Any Keurig users here?

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Sep 15, 2006, 11:38 PM

No, but considering you were roasting your own, I'm astonished you like Keurig's stuff.

I'll stick to my espresso, thanks.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 15, 2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
No, but considering you were roasting your own, I'm astonished you like Keurig's stuff.

I'll stick to my espresso, thanks.
The roasting was awesome. Best coffee I have ever had. We still have the equipment and will do it occasionally.

But, for that can-barely-open-the-eyes-up-need-a-caffeine-fix, or a-good-cup-of-coffee-would-be-nice-right-now but nothing is roasted and I only want one cup times, the Keurig fits the bill quite nicely.

bowwowman
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:56 AM

For true coffee lovers, nothing, and I mean N O T H I N G, beats fresh- roasted, fresh-ground beans, brewed with the coldest, freshest spring water and a REAL coffee brewer..........

those one serving machines are convenient, yes, but you HAVE to use their packets, and to me, that just sux
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 02:27 AM

At my old job, they have a Flavia machine. The coffee that came out of it was awful and after the novelty of the machine wore off, I think only 2-3 people would use it daily.

Have you tried the hot cocoa on your Keurig?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 16, 2006, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Railroader
At least you didn't make a reference to tooki.

-t

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by bowwowman
For true coffee lovers, nothing, and I mean N O T H I N G, beats fresh- roasted, fresh-ground beans, brewed with the coldest, freshest spring water and a REAL coffee brewer..........

those one serving machines are convenient, yes, but you HAVE to use their packets, and to me, that just sux
I guess I'd say I greatly appreciate fresh roasted, fresh ground coffee then. I'm certainly not as obsessed about it and anal as a true coffee snob.

There's a large number of companies making the k-cups and you can buy them all over the place. I think there's over a 100 different varieties. There's a listing of the coffees available from the keurig site: Keurig one cup coffee makers brew gourmet coffee & tea You can buy anywhere. I have been buying from coffeewiz.com myself as they have free shipping on oders over $50 and the have VERY good prices.

For the Keurig you can also order a single cup brewing filter to use your own bulk coffee grounds. I haven't tried it because I bought the Keurig machine for a reason, but it is available. Plus I still have my French Press and drip coffee maker.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2006, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by waxcrash
At my old job, they have a Flavia machine. The coffee that came out of it was awful and after the novelty of the machine wore off, I think only 2-3 people would use it daily.

Have you tried the hot cocoa on your Keurig?
That's why i did the research on single serving machines like I did. I knew there HAD to be something that tasted better than Flavia but had the same convenience.

Keurig shipped one hot coccoa packet with the machine. It's a packet of Ghirardelli Premium Double Chocolate Hot Cocoa. but I have been saving it for my wife and she'll only drink it on a night where we get to cuddle on the couch together. With a one year old and a three year old in the house we probably won't get that chance for a few weeks.

Another thing I really like is that the machine will put out a 8 oz. cup of near boiling water for making teas and hot cocoas.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 16, 2006, 12:33 PM

I just don't have the time to roast my own beans. I kind of wish I had LOTS more kitchen time overall, but roasting coffee beans is a doubleplus great reason to be in the kitchen. I have always thought it unfortunate that coffee typically smells so much better than it tastes, even the best coffee. Roasting coffee beans would be at the very least another opportunity to experience the smell of the coffee, and better, the freshest and most aromatic chance.

Now I need to drink some coffee!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 16, 2006, 01:07 PM

It really doesn't take that much time to roast.

Here's a cheap and effective roaster that works on the counter top:
FRESH ROAST PLUS EIGHT ROASTER @ Williams Brewing

That said, the Keurig takes brewing coffee down to minimalist effort affair and still produces coffee rivaling most coffee houses.

paul w
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2006, 01:34 PM

Roasting coffee beans is actually pretty easy - you can do it in a pan in the stove, stirring with a spoon. Takes like 10-15 minutes.

Nicko
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2006, 07:28 AM

That coffee maker looks...interesting. I first saw it advertised in Wired. However, I don't think I could bring myself to use such an environmentally unfriendly device -- too much wasted packaging. Anyway, I have yet to find a better or simpler method of making coffee than with a bodum french press. Ofcourse, fresh beans are a must.

I know a guy who lived in Haiti for a time and used to pick and roast his own coffee daily, if only we could all do that.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nicko
That coffee maker looks...interesting. I first saw it advertised in Wired. However, I don't think I could bring myself to use such an environmentally unfriendly device -- too much wasted packaging. Anyway, I have yet to find a better or simpler method of making coffee than with a bodum french press. Ofcourse, fresh beans are a must.

I know a guy who lived in Haiti for a time and used to pick and roast his own coffee daily, if only we could all do that.
What about all of the wasted fresh water used to wash and clean your french press? When I use our french press I have to use a huge amount of water to get it clean. And adding all of the dish detergent to the water seems quite environmentally unwise as well.

Do you compost your spent grinds?

You might be interested in the Senseo then. It doesn't use any plastic in it's brewing packets.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 04:38 PM

Well Railroader, I went out last night and bought the same model as you. I made a quick hot tea before bed that was very good. This morning I had a nice and fast Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee. It is a great machine for not a lot of money, under $100.00 at Target and includes about 20 drinks.

I enjoy coffee but hate making it, this makes it simple. Thanks for pointing me in this direction, I'll pass on my favorites to you as I figure them out. I'm going to make a big purchase from the coffee place online you recommended.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Well Railroader, I went out last night and bought the same model as you. I made a quick hot tea before bed that was very good. This morning I had a nice and fast Gloria Jean's Butter Toffee. It is a great machine for not a lot of money, under $100.00 at Target and includes about 20 drinks.

I enjoy coffee but hate making it, this makes it simple. Thanks for pointing me in this direction, I'll pass on my favorites to you as I figure them out. I'm going to make a big purchase from the coffee place online you recommended.
Excellent!

I am seriously anticipating your recommendations.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 04:45 PM

For decaf I like the Timothy's Colombian Decaf.

The caffeinated version is excellent as well.

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 04:48 PM

During a visit to a friend's house I was introduced to a Flavia machine. VERY convenient, but the coffee left MUCH to be desired.

We have a Flavia machine at work. The coffee tastes like ass.

Have you considered the old fasioned coffee machine with pre-roasted beans from your favorite shop?

I'll check out Keurig, thanks for the tip.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by ink

We have a Flavia machine at work. The coffee tastes like ass.

Have you considered the old fasioned coffee machine with pre-roasted beans from your favorite shop?

I'll check out Keurig, thanks for the tip.
It wasn't a matter of roasting my beans and grinding them that was bothering me. It was the: getting the filter out, scooping grinds, filling the carafe, drinking a couple cups and throwing the rest away, and then emptying the filter into the trash and washing the filter holder and carafe that was the problem. 5-10 minutes

Keurig: put k-cup into machine, press button, throw k-cup away. 30 seconds.

I am not enough of a coffee snob that roasting and grinding was adding to my coffee drinking experience that the Keurig lacks. The coffee is very high quality. A lot of organic and fair-trade brews are available as well.

Did I mention that I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2006, 06:28 PM

I { h e a r t } The Roasterie

The Roasterie - Home
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

ink
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2006, 07:03 PM

Did I mention that I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old?
I have a 6-year-old and a 2-year-old, I hear you.

ambush
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 08:10 PM

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
[img]http://www.ekidsfundraising.com/cp/wordEdit/homens/images/Back-to-School-7_29.jpg[img]
Please don't derail this thread like you do most threads you are in.

People, please ignore ambush in this thread. He has proven that he is my fan boi and obsessed with me in the past. I am not surprised by his actions here.

Don't you have dishes to do and a car to wash?
( Last edited by Railroader; Sep 17, 2006 at 11:21 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 11:15 PM

What's wrong with posting a funny yet intriguing image? I mean it's not like it's THAT unrelated (not enough to derail), since you stated that you were indeed back to school.

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 17, 2006, 11:21 PM

What's wrong with posting a funny yet intriguing image? I mean it's not like it's THAT unrelated (not enough to derail), since you stated that you were indeed back to school.
Funny? No. Intriguing? No.

Cute picture of a few children? Yes.

Do you have anything to add about the Keurig? If not, please stop derailing this thread and proving me correct.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 18, 2006, 12:20 AM

Hey Mr. farking Obvious ! What's the point ?

-t

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 18, 2006, 11:51 AM

Coffeewiz is a great site, I actually buy pods from them often. I currently have the Melitta One:One, which works pretty well, especially since I found it on Clearance @ Target. I've been looking at the Keurig and the Tassimo. The Keurig seems to have a lot of different brands and styles of 'cups for it, but it's hard to say how long any of these machines will be around with any degree of certainty. There is also another site that I've been reading a lot on and thats Single Serve Coffee - Coffee Pod Reviews, Senseo, Home Cafe, Bunn My Cafe, Keurig, K-Cups, Nespresso, Tassimo, T-Discs - The One Cup Coffee Lovers Weblog They have a lot of reviews, etc. Good source for info.

cs

edit: that's crazy, i put the link in as w w w .singleservecoffee.com and it made it a LONG LONG link. Is that new to the board?
-How pumped would you be driving home from work, knowing someplace in your house there's a monkey you're gonna battle?

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2006, 12:23 PM

I don't find once-a-week roasting that time-consuming, and considering the price and flavor, it's worth it.

Keurig would seem to be nice to have at work, though; right now I have to stomach stale grind drip and espresso pods for the Barista machine (the latter is a step up from the former, at least).
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Railroader  (op)
Banned
Sep 18, 2006, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by cSurfr
Coffeewiz is a great site, I actually buy pods from them often. I currently have the Melitta One:One, which works pretty well, especially since I found it on Clearance @ Target. I've been looking at the Keurig and the Tassimo. The Keurig seems to have a lot of different brands and styles of 'cups for it, but it's hard to say how long any of these machines will be around with any degree of certainty. There is also another site that I've been reading a lot on and thats Single Serve Coffee - Coffee Pod Reviews, Senseo, Home Cafe, Bunn My Cafe, Keurig, K-Cups, Nespresso, Tassimo, T-Discs - The One Cup Coffee Lovers Weblog They have a lot of reviews, etc. Good source for info.

cs

edit: that's crazy, i put the link in as w w w .singleservecoffee.com and it made it a LONG LONG link. Is that new to the board?
Longevity was a major concern when buying the Keurig. The machine by Braun was tempting simply for the name recognition. I think the Flavia might be the first to drop.

Thanks for the link.

Forum Links
Forum Rules