Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Unable to burn 800mb disk on LG 4480B

Unable to burn 800mb disk on LG 4480B
Cubik
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 08:42 AM

What could be the problem? I insert 800mb disk and try to burn 740mb disk image - toast tells me I'm not having enough space on the disk????? Please help

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2003, 09:19 AM

Hmm...have you tried another blank 800MB disk? It could be a faulty disk...also, your burner may not support burns over 740MB.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2003, 09:52 AM

On PC side they say the burner can overburn up to 99 minutes, 800mb is 91 minutes I guess.

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 04:00 AM

Did anybody successfully burn a 800 mb disk?

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 10:01 AM

My old 8x HP PC burner wouldn't burn over 74 minutes w/ the included software; however, by using "Nero Burning ROM" third-party software, it would overburn up to 80 minutes. Can you get your hands on a copy of Roxio Toast Titanium 5.2?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 11:36 AM

Yes, I've got Toast Titanium, but when I try to burn a disk image, made by Toast, which is 740MB and insert 800MB CDR, Toast tells me that I've got something about 702MB of free space on CDR disk and thats not enough ofcourse.

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 11:43 AM

To be exact, Toast tells me (when I insert 800MB CDR) that 359849 sectors (702,8 MB) are available

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2003, 12:07 PM

It's quite possible your burner may have firmware that doesn't recognize/won't allow burning past a certain amount if it's an older model...can you find the model # of your burner and see if there's any firmware updates to it?
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 1, 2003, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
It's quite possible your burner may have firmware that doesn't recognize/won't allow burning past a certain amount if it's an older model...can you find the model # of your burner and see if there's any firmware updates to it?
He said it's a LG 4480B. It's a fairly new model combo dvd-rom/cdrw drive. I have one in my P4 box. The latest firmware is 1.02, but regardless of the firmware, it should be able to burn 99 minute CDs. See this review .

Perhaps you should try using a different burning program.
( Last edited by saru boy; Aug 1, 2003 at 11:23 PM. )

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2003, 04:05 AM

My firmware is 1.0 but I don't think 1.0.2 would make any difference and the update can be done only on PC. What other apps can burn Toast image? BTW disk copy and iTunes doesn't recognise the burner, I know there's a hacked driver, hadn't tried it yet.

bbt
Forum Regular
Aug 3, 2003, 10:56 AM

where did you get those 800 mb discs?

CIA
Mac Elite
Aug 3, 2003, 01:23 PM

HFS/HFS+ issue?

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 3, 2003, 02:35 PM

I tried to use a ProFormance CDR (800MB 90min 24X), similar 700MB disks work with no problem.

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 6, 2003, 12:24 AM

Ah...I read that firmware 1.00 does not properly support 800MB media. Maybe that's your problem?

Unfortunately, while firmware 1.02 solves the 800MB media problem, it also introduces other problems. See this forum.

Cubik  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2003, 03:25 AM

Thanks, I think I can live with my burner not overburning, but still reading the disks burnt by it So I think I'll stick to firmware 1.0

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2003, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by Cubik:
Thanks, I think I can live with my burner not overburning, but still reading the disks burnt by it So I think I'll stick to firmware 1.0
Yeah, I'm gonna stick with firmware 1.00. Hopefully LG will fix the problems in 1.02, but who knows when that will be. They've already got a newer model out (which burns at 52x) so I doubt they're gonna be paying much attention to this model.

Zemrec
Sep 25, 2003, 04:29 PM

I have the same drive. I was using it in my Gentoo Athlon box with no problems. I just built a Gig-E box, and dropped the drive in it. I can boot from it, play DVDs and CDs, but having trouble burning CDs with iTunes and DiscCopy (no Toast yet).

The drive makes lots of noise, spins up and down, and after a few minutes gets various error messages. If I set it to burn at a low speed (say 12x), it still does a lot of spinning up and down, but eventually will burn, but takes a long time to complete.

I found driver file on Xlr8yourmac, copied it over, made sure chmod and owner/group were the same as the old file, rebooted, and its still doing it.

I have no idea what the firmware is. Do I need to put it back in a x86 box and flash it?

Forum Links
Forum Rules