Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Is your Dreamhost down?

Is your Dreamhost down?
IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 09:26 AM

My Dreamhost has been down for ooh, like 24 hours and I'm dyin' over here. A hot girl wanted me to host a song for her, and I can't, so now I might not get to sleep with her. Additionally, all my eBay auctions look pretty stupid with a bunch of (?)uestion Marks instead of pictures all over the page.

Anyone else having issues?
ice

paul w
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 09:41 AM

No problems here. You should contact them.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure
Is your Dreamhost down?
No
...A hot girl wanted me to host a song for her, and I can't, so now I might not get to sleep with her...
Is that all it takes?! damn, I need to find girls like that

[EDIT] I will host it for you on MY dreamhost if I can get a piece of that action...

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 10:18 AM

from status.dreamhost.com : \

More Filer Issues!
July 16, 2006 at 4:00 am PST by Brian
Well, we thought we were out of the woods, however, the same filer went down again. Our administration team is heading over to our data center now, and should be performing the steps to recover from the crash. We’re doing everything we can to make sure downtime is at a minimum, and apologize for the trouble!

Update

The filer is back online after having lost both of it’s spare disks. At this point all of the shelves, cables, and associated hardware has been replaced and yet this filer is still killing disks. We’re doing everything we can to avoid data loss but backing up your email and site data is strongly encouraged. There will be more information to follow as it becomes available.

Posted in System Outages
ice

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 11:07 AM

Next time your looking for a host, check out the top 10 list. I've been using a startlogic host for awhile now and it's nice, much nicer than some of the others I've used in the past.

http://www.top10hostinglist.com/
- Eric

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 11:10 AM

dreamhost is pretty awesome, I dunno. Our site is sort of up, but I can't log in thru FTP.

Is my sig showing? it's not for me, but if I open it in a new window and reload it, the image shows.
ice

Nicko
Professional Poster
Jul 16, 2006, 11:13 AM

My site is a little slow but otherwise working fine...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
Next time your looking for a host, check out the top 10 list. I've been using a startlogic host for awhile now and it's nice, much nicer than some of the others I've used in the past.

http://www.top10hostinglist.com/
I don't know if you're a paid shill or just an innocent bystander, but everyone should read this post in the Dreamhost blog about web hosting "review" sites.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 12:22 PM

dreamhost is pretty awesome, I dunno. Our site is sort of up, but I can't log in thru FTP.

Is my sig showing? it's not for me, but if I open it in a new window and reload it, the image shows.
I take it all is well now? If not, I'll host it for you, give you the link and you can pass it along to your femme.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 02:11 PM

all is well, yes. thanks for the support!

ice

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
I don't know if you're a paid shill or just an innocent bystander, but everyone should read this post in the Dreamhost blog about web hosting "review" sites.
Just an innocent bystander, but sorry, one company saying that they are the best and the review sites are wrong is just about as stupid as saying the review sites are best. Either way you look at it someone will always have a bias opinion, but I'd rather it come from some 3rd party then the company that touts their service to be better than the rest. I've had sites with other people that aren't on the top 10 list and had decent service, but my last purchase was off the top 10 list and I have to say I was much happier.
- Eric

IFLY2HIGH
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by mduell
Just an innocent bystander, but sorry, one company saying that they are the best and the review sites are wrong is just about as stupid as saying the review sites are best. Either way you look at it someone will always have a bias opinion, but I'd rather it come from some 3rd party then the company that touts their service to be better than the rest. I've had sites with other people that aren't on the top 10 list and had decent service, but my last purchase was off the top 10 list and I have to say I was much happier. Just a personal experience, and it also does allow you to compare services between other companies so you don't have to go around to each and every one for yourself. My choice was not one of the top 10 when I purchased it, but it's one of the best ones I've had to use so far IME and gives me what I need, actually too much of what I need but at a excellent price.
( Last edited by IFLY2HIGH; Jul 16, 2006 at 02:25 PM. )
- Eric

dialo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by IFLY2HIGH
I've had sites with other people that aren't on the top 10 list and had decent service, but my last purchase was off the top 10 list and I have to say I was much happier.
You say "the top 10 list" as if there aren't hundreds more "top 10" lists which, you know, is one of the main points that great dreamhost blog post makes.

Note, too, that the list doesn't include fantastic hosting companies in the same class like, well, dreamhost? I see lunarpages on there and, as someone who has both a lunarpages account and a dreamhost one, I can tell you lunarpages has been trailing behind other companies in its class, being 1 year+ behind in offering things like unlimited mysql and free multiple domain hosting, and from what I can tell they still don't offer SSH. In my experience it would be a difficult task to argue that lunarpages plans are better than dreamhost's (or jaguarpc or any of a number of other plans), so why is it on that list while the others aren't. My guess: $$$

That said, those semi-scam top 10 lists are useful for finding out about other hosting plans you might now come across otherwise, but using them as anything other than a source of names that you then research and compare on your own is foolish, as is thinking that any one is less of a scam than they all are.
( Last edited by dialo; Jul 16, 2006 at 02:51 PM. )

CMYKid
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2006, 06:46 PM

yeah, it's pretty well known that most if not all of those top tentype sites are pretty much crap. if you really want some opinions read through the forums at Webhostingtalk.com

one thing people often overlook iis the ********* factor in reviews...i.e. if i'm clueless when it comes to tech stuff and i cant find my a$$ with three hands trying to set up my site then yeah, i'm gonna think it was really hard and probably write a loess than positive review. that goes for about any computer-related product like wireless, etc

I'm pretty happy with dreamhost after a year, altough I swear I'd read on here that they supported afp and I've never been able to get it to work.

I miss Fuitadnet but they made some mistake where they billed somebody else instead of me for a YEAR AND A HALF, then figured it out and wanted a couple hundred bucks from me or else...like that was my problem. So I told em to suck it and moved twenty sites to Dreamhost.

I much preferred cPanel and WHMs interfaces to the one that Dreamhost wrote themselves tho.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
I'm pretty happy with dreamhost after a year, altough I swear I'd read on here that they supported afp and I've never been able to get it to work.
Really? I don't think I ever saw that anywhere, but that would be sweet. Wouldn't be very hard for them to install netatalk and get that working either.

dialo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by CMYKid
Hmmm...I'm able to mount it just by using Go->Connect to Server... and entering the server info followed by the login/pass when prompted.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by dialo
Hmmm...I'm able to mount it just by using Go->Connect to Server... and entering the server info followed by the login/pass when prompted.
Hmm, just tried it and it doesn't work for me, and I don't seen anything in the web panel that would enable. Also no results in the wiki when searching for 'afp' or 'netatalk'. :/

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Hmm, just tried it and it doesn't work for me, and I don't seen anything in the web panel that would enable. Also no results in the wiki when searching for 'afp' or 'netatalk'. :/
No AFP, but yes on WebDAV. Enable it by going to Goodies > Htaccess/WebDAV.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by E's Lil Theorem
No AFP, but yes on WebDAV. Enable it by going to Goodies > Htaccess/WebDAV.
Ah. Yeah, I've been using WebDAV for a while to publish iCal calendars online without a .Mac account.

dialo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 07:18 PM

I don't know what to tell you. It totally works for me. Maybe I did something to set it up at one point. I really don't remember. Maybe it's using WebDAV. In the finder it says afp and it uses afp_mount to mount it. It sends the credentials in plain text, though.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 07:24 PM

works for me.

ice

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 07:29 PM

AFP doesn't work for me, but i found a post about it on their forums. apparently it only works on some servers and it's not a supported feature. kinda sucks. does WebDAV do more or less the same thing? i've never really used it.

"I start fires!"

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by MaxPower2k3
AFP doesn't work for me, but i found a post about it on their forums. apparently it only works on some servers and it's not a supported feature. kinda sucks. does WebDAV do more or less the same thing? i've never really used it.
Well that's annoying.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Well that's annoying.
try logging in with another user/domain. i just tried on one of my other domains (which is on the same server/account) and it worked. so i dunno why some do and some don't. the first one i tried was an SSH account... maybe enabling SSH breaks AFP?

"I start fires!"

dialo
Senior User
Jul 16, 2006, 09:58 PM

FWIW, I'm logging into the server itself, not any particular domain, and it mounts my home directory.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 16, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by dialo
FWIW, I'm logging into the server itself, not any particular domain, and it mounts my home directory.
makes no difference here. i can log into either the server itself or individual domains and either way i've got 2 FTP accounts that work, one FTP account that doesn't work, and one SSH account that doesn't work. all are on different domains.

"I start fires!"

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 16, 2006, 11:35 PM

My Dreamhost has been down for ooh, like 24 hours
dreamhost is pretty awesome, I dunno.
They go down for 24 hours at a time and they're awesome?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 16, 2006, 11:52 PM

They had an issue. It's resolved. : )

I didn't lose a million dollars in the process, so I'm cool.
ice

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 12:00 AM

make sure to wear a rubber

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
They go down for 24 hours at a time and they're awesome?
they're cheap and cheerful and provide lots of features. some people don't care about uptime, but i wouldn't use them for anything mission critical.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Angus_D
they're cheap and cheerful and provide lots of features. some people don't care about uptime, but i wouldn't use them for anything mission critical.
Sheesh, it would be nice if people would mention this little disclaimer when they keep praising Dreamhost so much on this forum.

If my web site and e-mail account kept repeatedly going down, and it took them over 24 hours to get it back up when it did, I think I would go mad.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2006, 12:21 PM

I've only had them for about 3 months now, anyhow, I haven't heard anyone speak of them "repeatedly going down". I believe this was a very bad thing that happened to their servers. I don't see it happening again and again.
ice

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 12:42 PM

Have they provided an explanation as to what the cause of this downtime was?

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2006, 01:04 PM

the filer was killing disks. :shrug:
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 01:08 PM

Sheesh, it would be nice if people would mention this little disclaimer when they keep praising Dreamhost so much on this forum.

If my web site and e-mail account kept repeatedly going down, and it took them over 24 hours to get it back up when it did, I think I would go mad.
I agree.

So... ...since I was gonna go with Dreamhost this week for something which pretty much needs loads of uptime, what hosts do folks recommend?
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 01:31 PM

I've had them for a couple of months and my site has never gone down, that I'm aware of. I don't think this issue that affected Ice is a common occurrance.

"I start fires!"

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2006, 01:55 PM

O NOES!! A guy had a problem ONCE with his web-hosting!!1!! Taht host SUX!!
ice

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 02:11 PM

O NOES!! A guy had a problem ONCE with his web-hosting!!1!! Taht host SUX!!
But Icy, I could potentially lose a million bucks if I had a 24-hour outage (at the wrong time).

So, are Dreamhost safe or what?

ambush
Banned
Jul 17, 2006, 02:38 PM

Well if you're going to lose 1M$ for 24h, I'd recommend Akamai.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
Well if you're going to lose 1M$ for 24h, I'd recommend Akamai.
Akamai cost more than I'm willing to spend on a speculative venture. The $1m figure isn't for income - it's for "saving face" if the site was to go down for a long time at a tactically important time.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 02:54 PM

the filer was killing disks. :shrug:

If they were worth their salt, they'd have something like a RAID-5 array that would include plenty of built-in redundancy. They'd also have backups.

IceEnclosure  (op)
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2006, 03:40 PM

I hope no one loses a million bucks, and I hope everyone finds the service they need. I just woke up from a mid-day nap. perhaps dreamhost is for people who dream (in the middle of the day).

and please visit my website!!
ice

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 03:51 PM

Let's compare:

• Apple once released a program that deleted entire hard drives by mistake.
• Dreamhost once went down for 24 hours.

Which do you think I care more about? Do you think that one stopped me from using the company's products?
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2006, 04:42 PM

and please visit my website!!
a whole shelf of ketel one? that's my kind of bar

"I start fires!"

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Let's compare:

• Dreamhost once went down for 24 hours.

Which do you think I care more about? Do you think that one stopped me from using the company's products?
What other choices are there other than OS X? Windows, and Linux/Unix? There are a 290432830942384 other hosting providers, each offering the same sort of services. You can also just host your own stuff, hosting websites is not terribly advanced - there is a ton of resources out there devoted to helping start up basic Unix services, assuming you have the bandwidth and hardware.

Not a great comparison... Apple is virtually the only player in town, Dreamhost is one of hundreds.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2006, 04:59 PM

?????

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock
?????
IIRC, an update of an early version of iTunes wiped your HDs if their name began with a specific character. Something like that.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
What other choices are there other than OS X? Windows, and Linux/Unix? There are a 290432830942384 other hosting providers, each offering the same sort of services. You can also just host your own stuff, hosting websites is not terribly advanced - there is a ton of resources out there devoted to helping start up basic Unix services, assuming you have the bandwidth and hardware.

Not a great comparison... Apple is virtually the only player in town, Dreamhost is one of hundreds.
Yeah, Apple is the only player in town if you discount five others. That's why this Only Player In Town has, like, 3% marketshare.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

dialo
Senior User
Jul 17, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Dreamhost is one of hundreds.
Not really. There are maybe 10-30 hosts in the same class as dreamhost and they each have differences. A year ago there were even fewer that offered similar services. Most hosting companies competing with dreamhost just recently added multiple domains per account, and most of those still limit them to around 6.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jul 17, 2006, 05:11 PM

Yeah, Apple is the only player in town if you discount five others. That's why this Only Player In Town has, like, 3% marketshare.

Five others that offer Windows-based solutions... As far as I'm concerned, there isn't much variance here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules