Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Importing dv Late 2008 mbp

Importing dv Late 2008 mbp
mac redneck
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2008, 11:46 AM

Hi everybody,
I have the new unibody mbp. I tried to import from my old Sony dcr-trv27 mini dv camera into iMovie HD via fw800. When I started importing after about 5 seconds the import stopped. I tried a couple more times with the same results. Then I noticed I was on the 9400M. I switched to the dedicated video and the import worked perfectly. I wonder if anybody else has this problem? It may explain why firewire was left off the mb.
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

Cold Warrior
Dec 27, 2008, 03:12 PM

It would be interesting to know if anyone is having that specific problem (late 08 MBP importing miniDV and set to 9400M)

But otherwise the MacBook's lack of Firewire or its graphics chip should have no effect on miniDV import unless the miniDV cam cannot vary its USB 2.0 data rates to accommodate the slower USB 2.0 transfer speed.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2008, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
But otherwise the MacBook's lack of Firewire or its graphics chip should have no effect on miniDV import unless the miniDV cam cannot vary its USB 2.0 data rates to accommodate the slower USB 2.0 transfer speed.
USB 2.0's isochronous mode is more than fast enough for ~30Mbps DV, but what miniDV cameras can push video over USB?
( Last edited by mduell; Dec 28, 2008 at 01:35 PM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 30, 2008, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
It would be interesting to know if anyone is having that specific problem (late 08 MBP importing miniDV and set to 9400M)

Uhh... Did you read the original post? The question is only about the effect of the graphics chip in use.

1. It's a MacBook Pro, which has FireWire. The problem occurs in transferring over FireWire, not USB.
2. DV doesn't go through USB. I've never heard of a camera that supported this.
3. If DV could go over USB, it wouldn't have to throttle down its speed, as mduell has correctly stated. Furthermore, tape-based camcorders cannot alter the transfer rate, as it is fixed by the format and is not variable.

Cold Warrior
Dec 30, 2008, 06:43 PM

1. His last bit was about 'why firewire was left off of the mb', which is why I commented that the MB's lack of firewire or its graphics chip should have no affect on miniDV import. So yeah, I read the post and addressed a subset of it.

2. I'm not intimately familiar with all miniDV.

3. And yeah, I gathered as much from mduell's post.

mac redneck  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2009, 07:50 PM

Update:
I once again tried to import dv into my MBP over FW800 using the integrated 9400M and it worked fine in both iMovie '08 and iMovie HD. First time it happened must have been a fluke. Or maybe the logging off and logging back on to change to the 9600 fixed the problem. I Love my MBP!
iMac 24", 2.4 C2D, 1TB, 4GB, 10.5.7
Late 2008 Macbook Pro 2.4 C2D, 500GB, 4GB, 10.5.7

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 6, 2009, 10:49 PM

Good to hear, thanks for providing the update.

Forum Links
Forum Rules