Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Time Magizine >>Man Of The Year>> Bin Laden

Time Magizine >>Man Of The Year>> Bin Laden
otis52
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 04:06 AM

Today on the radio I heard that Time magazine was going to feature Bin Laden as man of the year. I have not been able to find any hard evidence that this is true that's why I making this post. Has enyone else heard of this? If so how stupid can the media be?
I wanted to be a artist but I became a graphic designer...
[url]http://c1g.net[url]

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 6, 2001, 04:15 AM

I've heard this as well. Seems pretty appropriate.

You've got to realize that "Man of the Year" doesn't equal "good guy that we all love". It just means that the individual (they've named machines as "Thing of the Year" before), has had a lot of influence on the year's events. Bin Laden certainly qualifies. Remember, Hitler was man of the year for 1938.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 6, 2001, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by otis52:
<STRONG>Today on the radio I heard that Time magazine was going to feature Bin Laden as man of the year. I have not been able to find any hard evidence that this is true that's why I making this post. Has enyone else heard of this? If so how stupid can the media be? </STRONG>
I heard something stupid like Stalin or something...some commey. Do no... But really do you even care? I know I don't.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 04:18 AM

Originally posted by Demonhood:
<STRONG>Remember, Hitler was man of the year for 1938.</STRONG>
this is just so f@#ked up. giving thiese as@#oles exactly what they want. recognition for they stupid cause....

FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 04:30 AM

If there is a mass boycotting for that issue of Time, I suppose the message from the people will be nicely delivered to media and the rest of the world. just my 0.02$.
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 6, 2001, 04:30 AM

Stalin was Man of the Year in 39 & 42.

this is just so f@#ked up. giving thiese as@#oles exactly what they want. recognition for they stupid cause....
That's not their objective, of course. It's not like the accompanying articles in 38 was saying "Hitler's turn-ons include loud speeches, twisted crosses, uniformed men, and small moustaches. His turn-offs include Jews, people that disagree with him, Gypsies, Jews, homosexuals, and Jews." Osama is already on the cover of every magazine around. And each one of those mags is providing us with plenty of info on what he thinks/believes. The more we learn about him, the more we hate him. So it's not like being named Man of the Year is going to win him any converts. It'll just be another picture to use on your dartboard.

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 04:33 AM

<STRONG> It'll just be another picture to use on your dartboard.</STRONG>
very true....

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2001, 11:54 PM

<STRONG>I've heard this as well. Seems pretty appropriate.

You've got to realize that "Man of the Year" doesn't equal "good guy that we all love". It just means that the individual (they've named machines as "Thing of the Year" before), has had a lot of influence on the year's events. Bin Laden certainly qualifies. Remember, Hitler was man of the year for 1938.</STRONG>
Wasn't Steve Jobs nearly Man of the Year one year?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

John B. Smith
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 11:57 PM

<STRONG>

this is just so f@#ked up. giving thiese as@#oles exactly what they want. recognition for they stupid cause....</STRONG>
true, but let them have all the fame they want.. in the end justice is done..

Fyre4ce
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 12:16 AM

It's highly appropriate to name him Man of the Year. The title doesn't imply he's done good things; it's got more to do with his influence (positive or negative) on the world. Because of him, our military is drastically changing (from Cold War superpower conflict to this terrorist warfare). The consequences of Sept 11 are far-reaching - that's just one example
Fyre4ce

Let it burn.

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 7, 2001, 12:29 AM

How about the title reading like this.......... "(most hated) Man of the year". That works out I think.

Mike

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2001, 01:02 AM

Maybe his real goal all along was to be "man of the year," and once he get there he'll be satisfied. Or maybe he's just like some spoiled child who wants attention and if we ignore him he'll go away... Either way, it's certainly appropriate to make him "man of the year," he's probably more prevalent in the minds of americans than anyone else. It's all just a big popularity contest anyway.

SillyMonk
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2001, 02:23 AM

<STRONG> It's not like the accompanying articles in 38 was saying "Hitler's turn-ons include loud speeches, twisted crosses, uniformed men, and small moustaches. His turn-offs include Jews, people that disagree with him, Gypsies, Jews, homosexuals, and Jews." </STRONG>
That's darn witty....

But who else should be Man of theYear, if not Osama bin Ladin? Everyone else is reacting to that first, awful decision to bomb NYC and D.C.
My life is my argument. --Albert Schweitzer

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2001, 02:31 AM

...possibly dean kamen?

i'd say he has a chance. he's probably the only person that's EVER generated so much media hype for a single product, even, contrary to popular to believe, surpassing jobs
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

M�lum
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 04:39 AM

Read here why HITLER was choosen in 1938 as Man Of The Year: http://www.time.com/time/special/moy/1938.html

And here why STALIN was choosen Man Of tThe Year in 1842: http://www.time.com/time/special/moy/1942.html

and in 1939: http://www.time.com/time/special/moy/1939.html

And why not:
In 1937 we had Chiang Kai-Shek.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: M�lum ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2001, 11:23 AM

The title "Man of the Year" is not always an honor. All it means is that the recipient has had a profound effect on history, moreso than anyone else that year. And when you consider the inventive method of terrorism, the utter desctuction of one important American landmark and severe damage to another, getting a nation to declare war on a non-national entity, and getting the US to betray its own Constitution multiple times, who could possibly deny that bin Laden has certainly had a profound effect on history?

I just hope the article doesn't have an honorific tone.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Dec 7, 2001, 12:18 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 22, 2004 at 08:05 PM. )

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 01:53 PM

Yup, it'll only be due to people overwhelmingly misunderstanding the 'Man of the Year' title, that would prevent bin Laden from getting it. In truth though, by the same reasons that Hitler, Stalin and others recieved the title, he simply MUST be the 'Man of the Year' for 2001.

Wonder who it would be, had 9/11 never happened? Or if pressure is so great they don't go with bin Laden, who then? True, Dean Kamen isn't a bad choice, but I'd bet anything more people would hear his name and go 'who'? than would bin Laden. From a historical viewpoint, people looking back will totally see that the only reason bin Laden wasn't chosen, was due to negative public pressure, not from a factual recounting of history, which I think would be weak.

At least when Hitler was deemed too distasteful to make 'Person of the Century' there was a better alternative that fit perfectly in Albert Einstein. Thank God for Albert!

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2001, 11:33 PM

Nebrie
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 03:19 AM

Originally posted by M�lum:
<STRONG>And why not:
In 1937 we had Chiang Kai-Shek.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: M�lum ]</STRONG>
Um, he wasn't a commie, rather the leader of China's very short period of democracy.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2001, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by Nebrie:
<STRONG>

Um, he wasn't a commie, rather the leader of China's very short period of democracy.</STRONG>
And?

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2001, 03:56 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>Wonder who it would be, had 9/11 never happened? Or if pressure is so great they don't go with bin Laden, who then? True, Dean Kamen isn't a bad choice, but I'd bet anything more people would hear his name and go 'who'? than would bin Laden. From a historical viewpoint, people looking back will totally see that the only reason bin Laden wasn't chosen, was due to negative public pressure, not from a factual recounting of history, which I think would be weak.</STRONG>
I think it would probably go to President Bush if nothing happened on September 11. If it weren't for that event, 2001 would have been a relatively uneventful year. Time usually gives the Man of the Year title to the President of the United States if nothing interesting happens in a year.

If not Bush, perhaps it would have been Jim Jeffords. He managed to take a great deal of the President's leverage by becoming an independent and giving the Democrats control of the Senate. But even this doesn't seem important enough to give him the Man of the Year title.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2001, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by CRASH HARDDRIVE:
<STRONG>Thank God for Albert!</STRONG>
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2001, 04:15 AM

I still don't understand why people continue to glorify these monsters. I don't care if hitler was man of the year in 38 it doesn't make it right. And after 62 years you would think that people would start to relize that putting an animal like bin laden or hitler on the cover of one of the most prestigeous news magizines in the US, the same country that they spit on, bomb, burn flags whatever, and make him man of the year is just uncalled for. Here time magizine is going to take this scumbags picture post it on the front of there mag write a huge article about him and thousands of Americans will go out and buy it.. It just makes me ashamed .. ashamed to be an American

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: otis52 ]

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 04:19 AM

It's a vicious circle...

The media makes bin Laden a prominent figure, plasters his image everywhere. Time Magazine makes him man of the year.

A snake eating its tail.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 10, 2001, 04:35 AM

once again, man of the year does not mean that he's a liked figure. it's not even a real award. there is no ceremony for him to attend. he's not going to walk on stage, accepting a little statue, making his speech "I'd like to thank Allah, my thousands of brainwashed minions, the part of my family that hasn't disowned me, and Britney Spears. She can be a part of my harem anytime!" just before the band cuts in and they go to commercial.

he's on the cover of every magazine anyway. there are hundreds of articles written about him every day. it's not glorifying him at all. do you really think that someone is going to see "Bin Laden: Man of the Year" and think "hey, he must have some great ideas. where can i sign up?" after all that they now know? anyhow, could Bin Laden be any more famous? i think not. he's already everywhere you look. everyone knows what he stands for. hell, half the people in this forum would strangle him with their bare hands if given the chance. nothing in a magazine is going to change that.

TIME isn't going to put up an image of him smiling, with daisies in the backdrop and a rainbow gracing the sky. i think i heard that if Bin Laden is killed before the end of the year, they have to pick someone else. it'll probably be some scientist we've never heard of. i somehow doubt that Bush will get it.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2001, 04:43 AM

<STRONG>it'll probably be some scientist we've never heard of. i somehow doubt that Bush will get it.</STRONG>
Maybe it'll be ...damn I forgot his name. You know, the "ginger" guy...

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2001, 04:46 AM

The Time Web site has a quote from Henry Luce saying the Man/Person/Whatever of the year is "the person or persons who most affected the news of our lives, for good or for ill, this year."

It's gonna be Bin Laden.

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 10, 2001, 04:01 PM

I agree that he is the man of the year, but I don't necessarily like it.

Admit it, he is the topic of conversation everywhere. The most famous guy in a dirty turban and ugly beard these days.

That, my friends, is why he is man of the year.

If they could do people of the year, I would've chosen all the rescue personnel at Ground Zero.

Stoopid
Dec 10, 2001, 06:02 PM

I don't think Time Magazine will make OBL MOY. Not only would it anger so many, but really what's more impressive? That some cave-dwelling playboy bank-rolled these awful deeds that had the potential of ripping apart our families, economy, and freedom... or that the world is pulling together and moving on, scarred but smarter, with a sense of determination and spirit not seen since wwII, if ever.

They will probably go with something more upbeat and triumphant that features the US's renewed patriotism, vigilance, and unity.

I bet they choose the sentimental, upbeat route and pick Guiliani or the FDNY or Ground Zero Worker or maybe something more abstract like "courage" or the WTC as "Buildings of the year."

They are trying to sell a "keepsake magazine," not piss off people.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2001, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by Stoopid:
<STRONG>They are trying to sell a "keepsake magazine," not piss off people.</STRONG>
I don't think they are or should be. If Bin-Laden becomes the man of the year they are being accurate, because he certainly fits the qualifications more than anyone else I can think of. And, if they do, I'll respect them more for maintaining their journalistic integrity instead of bowing to the masses.

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 10, 2001, 06:17 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
<STRONG> journalistic integrity</STRONG>
Is that a oxymoron or what?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2001, 06:20 PM

<STRONG>

Is that a oxymoron or what? </STRONG>
LOL, good point. But I think you know what I mean.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 23, 2001, 06:30 PM

Looks like Time wimped out. Person of the Year = Giuliani

Nick
Dec 23, 2001, 07:07 PM

<STRONG>Looks like Time wimped out. Person of the Year = Giuliani</STRONG>
I was kinda surprised by that.

otis52, do you think that just because Time chose not to feature him as man of they year, all his followers will just disappear and September 11th will have never happened? Everyone knows who he is (and they have made up their mind on him), he would benefit from this in any way. The fact is, he has been one of the most influential people of the year- and very possibly of the coming decade.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]

DoctorGonzo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 23, 2001, 07:46 PM

Looks like Time wimped out. Person of the Year = Giuliani
Did a lot of great things for New York after September 11th....certainly.

Had the greatest effect on the world in 2001....absolutely not.

Nick
Dec 23, 2001, 08:18 PM

[didn't read right][/LIST][/LIST]
[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Rampage ]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 23, 2001, 09:26 PM

I think it's pretty convenient for Giuliani anyway, since his reputation kinda sucked prior to Sept 11th.

Mike

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2001, 02:11 AM

Giuliani?

Sure, he did a great job, no doubting that.. but 'Man of the Year' for 2001? Please!

This was such a spineless cop out. Okay, if not bin Laden, then surely someone could have gotten a **little** bit more creative and really come up with a better alternative.

Just declaring all the NYC firefighters the 'People of the Year' would have been less of a cop out than Giuliani.

micha schraven
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2001, 08:28 PM

"if you dont like the US bombing Osama, then go to Afghanistan"
-an attempt to a write a serious letter sent in by a person in TIME

"..protesters against the bombing of afghanistan are only trying to raise confusion. And confusion is the stuff that terrorism thrives on !.."
-another letter from another concerned TIMEreader

---Which editor would pass such dumb letters to be published? This magazine is so stupid and subjective.
Have you seen their 'pictures of the year 2001"? As if there is no world before september 11th.

They suck.
"the only real centre of the universe is yourself"

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 24, 2001, 11:34 PM

Rudolph who?

Nothing will be the same after Sept 11th.

Including reality.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 25, 2001, 04:38 AM

Originally posted by Face Ache:
<STRONG>Rudolph who?

Nothing will be the same after Sept 11th.

Including reality.</STRONG>
I disagree, my life has been completely unchanged by it. The only difference I've noticed that that everyone has a stupid little flag on their car, and my mom did up the christmas tree to look like the Russian Federation's flag (you know, red, white, and blue in big horizontal stripes). Other than that everything seems to be exactly the way it's always been. I guess that's one of the advantages of not watching or reading or listening to the news.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 25, 2001, 08:14 AM

What do you expect? Since Time magazine was sucked into that black hole of a mega conglomerate AOL/TIME/WARNER etc. it has to appeal to the maximum number of readers (or picture viewers). They have gone completely PC by replacing "Man of the Year" with the wimpy "Person of the Year" and completely copped out by not selecting bin Laden. Year after year they explain their criteria for selecting their man of the year and then do a complete about-face.

Giuliani may easily be the New Yorker of the year, but has Time forgotten their readers outside of the boroughs of NYC? Here in Paris, one would immediately reply "Giuliani who?"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Dec 25, 2001, 08:57 PM

Well, there's another magazine I won't read again. As yet another once-respectable American institution shows just how little integrity it has in the wake of September 11...

For the record, there were four candidates this year: OBL, Bush, firefighters and rescue workers in general (the title doesn't always go to a man, after all, and not even a human being sometimes), and Giuliani.

But out of these four, who actually did great things that had a profound effect on history? While Guiliani, Bush, and the firefighters certainly did good things, they were only reacting to history, not making it themselves. Conversely, OBL did a terrible thing, but it was a great thing, in the sense that it was probably the most earth-shattering, historical event of the year (which, all told, was relatively boring otherwise).

People need to pull their heads out of their collective... um... rears... and realize three things:
  • Great != Good
  • People who do historically significant things are not always good, just as history is not always good.
  • Recording history accurately is more important than pleasing people or selling magazines.
Then again, I suppose no one has yet managed to underestimate the intelligence of the general American populace. Shame, though, that one of the most prestigious newsmagazines in the US has now proven itself just another whore...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

otis52  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2001, 02:28 PM

Originally posted by Rampage:
<STRONG>

otis52, do you think that just because Time chose not to feature him as man of they year, all his followers will just disappear and September 11th will have never happened?

</STRONG>
Are you serious or just ignorant ? Of course they won't disappear. More than likely they will only get smater and strike harder in the future. As far as Sept. 11 is concerened that day will allways be in the hearts and minds of people around the world who were affected by this tragedy. By the way what was the point behind your question?

[ 12-26-2001: Message edited by: otis52 ]

anarkisst
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2001, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>Well, there's another magazine I won't read again. As yet another once-respectable American institution shows just how little integrity it has in the wake of September 11...

For the record, there were four candidates this year: OBL, Bush, firefighters and rescue workers in general (the title doesn't always go to a man, after all, and not even a human being sometimes), and Giuliani.

But out of these four, who actually did great things that had a profound effect on history? While Guiliani, Bush, and the firefighters certainly did good things, they were only reacting to history, not making it themselves. Conversely, OBL did a terrible thing, but it was a great thing, in the sense that it was probably the most earth-shattering, historical event of the year (which, all told, was relatively boring otherwise).

People need to pull their heads out of their collective... um... rears... and realize three things:
  • Great != Good
  • People who do historically significant things are not always good, just as history is not always good.
  • Recording history accurately is more important than pleasing people or selling magazines.
Then again, I suppose no one has yet managed to underestimate the intelligence of the general American populace. Shame, though, that one of the most prestigious newsmagazines in the US has now proven itself just another whore...</STRONG>
I really had to read this over and over...and disagree. Why? Well, guess who got man of the year for 1941?

Franklin D. Roosevelt

Nope, it wasn't Emperor Hirohito or Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto,
commander of the Japanese fleet that attacked Pearl Harbor...it was the person who had to react to the evil that was placed upon us.

I'm surprised in a way that George W. didn't get it. But in a ways having Giullianni was also a choice that combined many others within the NYC structure of things (FDNY, POP, NYPD, EMT and administration people). Like you said; "the title doesn't always go to a man, after all, and not even a human being sometimes". Well, then it's Rudi because he represents all of NYC on fateful September 11th.

Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2001, 07:27 PM

I hope those blankets of righteous indignation keep you folks warm at night...
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Lerkfish
Dec 26, 2001, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
<STRONG>I hope those blankets of righteous indignation keep you folks warm at night...</STRONG>
I'm unclear what this means, but since its not directed at me I'll leave it to someone else to figure out...

to the rest of the thread, I think who Time picks as man of the year should not be a popularity contest or a political correctness stricture. However, they are certainly free to pick whomever they desire. It's their magazine.

Heck, I don't agree with who Sports Illustrated picks for their cover for the swimsuit issue usually, either. (though I'd like to have to do personal interviews to come up with that decisions...but I digress...)

I think that what should have been picked was "terrorism". They've picked non-human things or ideas before. I think that would correctly peg what has affected the world more significantly than anything else this year without giving attention to or appearing to glorify Osama.

It is, after what has supposedly been responsible for 9/11, and the war against it has galvanized some countries against other countries, independent of the head of Al Queda....let's not forget, there are over 160 known terrorist organizations at work in the world today, only one of them is headed by Osama.

Troll
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2001, 06:04 AM

Amazing how quickly we all forgot about the other Giuliani that made the news this year.

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 28, 2001, 07:17 AM

found this kind of funny: apparently everyone in this AI thread disagrees with us (us being the majority of people that have replied here). go figure.

Forum Links
Forum Rules