Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How are Classic Unreal Tournament / Descent 3 on the new AlBooks?

How are Classic Unreal Tournament / Descent 3 on the new AlBooks?
nagromme
Senior User
Oct 19, 2003, 09:35 PM

I'll get UT2k4 probably, but I still plan to keep playing against my OS 9 friends in my favorite maps for the old UT, for a long time to come.

But if I get a new AlBook (15 or 17), it won't boot OS 9. I'll either have to run UT in Classic, or use the beta (at least for now) OS X version. And Descent 3 (my all-time favorite, still without competition) will have to run in Classic.

So... how playable are these on the new Radeon Mobility 'Books? Are frame rates smooth and controls functional? (On my eMac/700, I find UT and D3 pretty poor if I don't boot to 9.) And is UT better with Classic or the OS X beta?

Thanks for any reports. Hopefully UT and D3 will have their REAL OS X ports done before too long!
nagromme

AHDuke99
Oct 19, 2003, 11:24 PM

UT2003 runs great on my Alubook. UT Classic should run fine, these machines are nice gaming machines.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Oct 20, 2003, 01:04 AM

Good to hear, since UT2k4 is esssentially an updated 2k3. But UT "Classic" means it runs in OS 9 or Classic--and that hurts performance of games a lot on my eMac.

I'm hoping the new GPU and higher Mhz will fully compensate if I get a PowerBook. Anyone use UT in Classic on one of the new 'Books? Or Descent 3?
nagromme

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 10:42 AM

I have Descent 3 at home; I'll try to remember to load it up and see how it plays when I get home tonight.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

dennis88
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by AHDuke99:
UT2003 runs great on my Alubook. UT Classic should run fine, these machines are nice gaming machines.
What alu book do you have?
128mb ati 9600?
1,3ghz 15"?

s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 05:00 PM

yah, it does run great and smooth too.
Hi!

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 20, 2003, 06:07 PM

I don't have UT, but the original Unreal runs fabulously in Classic on my 1.25GHz 15".

At 1024x768, all features turned on, I get 40+ FPS (often twice that). At 640x480, 80+ FPS.

Oh yeah... in video mirroring mode, at 640x480, it still gets 60+ FPS (and yes, it does render in 3D on both displays).

tooki

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2003, 11:10 PM

Okay...just tried it out; Descent 3 runs really well in Classic (using the OpenGL version 1.4.2) at 1024x768 with all the graphics and sound options turned all the way up.

Happy Descent-ing!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 03:26 AM

Thanks! I know there may be some audio delays in Classic games (I get that in both UT and D3 on my eMac), but that's livable if the framerate is good!
nagromme

dcsmrgun
Oct 21, 2003, 09:11 AM

I'm running UT X, and I get fantastic performance. I've got a 1gig 15" AL with 512mb and the 4200rpm drive.

The 3D looks great and is super fast, but the menus look like absolute garbage. Very blurry and distorted, the lines are uneven and often break color.

I guess its a good thing I play for the 3D, not to sit and look at the menus, huh?

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 10:48 AM

Interesting. On my eMac/700, it's a wash--neither Classic nor UT X performs great, and so I boot to 9. But the menus look just fine! (I also notice that UT X loads up lists of maps etc. about a million times faster.)

Anyway, I think I'll be fine until the the final OS X versions of Descent 3 (informal, but making headway) and UT (formally in progress) are done.
nagromme

SuperHard
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 10:58 AM

I've played Unreal Tournament in both classic and in OS X using the UT port and games run significantly faster using the OS X port, however running is classic is perfectly smooth. The only problems I've had with the ported version of OS X is I can't use my computer to serve (for setting up a quick LAN to play on), it doesn't keep stats, and I can't use all 5 buttons on my mouse (only 3), but after trying the ported version I use that as often as possible.

My computer is 1.25GHz Albook 15" with 512mb ram.

Have fun!!! I think I prefer the original UT to UT2000 because of all the maps that are available and the great guns the original has.

nagromme  (op)
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 10:19 PM

Me too. What's with the lightning gun that totally gives your position away? Where's the fun in that? Where's that sense of panic you get in UT when a smoking hole pops up on the wall next to you?

And I'll be sure to serve from my eMac in 9. Thanks for the heads-up.
nagromme

Oneota
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2003, 11:13 PM

What? OS X port of Descent 3? Where'd you hear about that?

Forum Links
Forum Rules