Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Developer Center > ASP.NET , can i use that in Mac OS X?

ASP.NET , can i use that in Mac OS X?
maCCer
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2005, 06:10 AM

My manager wants me to learn ASP.NET, can someone explain to me what is ASP.NET?
Secondly, is there any chance i can use Mac as the development platform for ASP.Net?
thx
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Sep 19, 2005, 11:35 AM

ASP.NET is a version of ASP (a Microsoft-developed server-side Web language like PHP) that uses .NET (a Windows application framework). Unfortunately, I think you can guess its availability on the Mac from that description. Your manager needs to put down the MS Kool-Aid, man.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

itistoday
Professional Poster
Oct 4, 2005, 02:33 PM

PHP is far superior anyways

dcsmrgun
Oct 14, 2005, 04:21 PM

With relatively vanilla sites or projects you may have some success running ASP.NET with Mono, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it.

Your best bet is either to get a copy of VirtualPC and install a Windows platform, or get a separate machine for your .NET development. If your manager is looking for you to learn this, you may want to ask whether they will pop for the required resources to do so.

I ended up purchasing a PC laptop for .NET development and I couldn't be happier.

If your boss thinks it would be a good idea to learn ASP.NET, I wouldn't tell him to shove it simply because you're a Mac user. There's nothing wrong with getting your feet wet in other technologies. Now if he expects you to front the money for VirtualPC or a separate machine, I would probably be hesitant as well. I'd probably just let him know that you're willing, but you don't have the means to self-study at home.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 01:28 AM

thx guys, that really clean my mind up a bit.
And one more thing, are there any difficulty if using PHP,MYSQL,APACHE on Mac platform?
There were once four people named Everybody, Somebody, Nobody and Anybody. Somebody had to do a job, but Nobody wanted to do it. Nobody could see that Anybody could do it, and Somebody got angry about that because it was Everybody's job. Nobody ended up doing it, and it so happened that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done.

maCCer  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 18, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by itistoday
PHP is far superior anyways
any good PHP tutorial?
thx

Forum Links
Forum Rules