Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Will PB 17 1.33 read new 8.5GB dual denstity DVD's?

Will PB 17 1.33 read new 8.5GB dual denstity DVD's?
Daniel Bayer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2004, 11:22 PM

I am looking to pickup the new Lacie D2 Dual density DVD burner to ease up the load on my internal burner (Superdrive).

Will the Superdrive recognize and read these disks?
Who makes the disks?
"I'll take a extra layer of ram on that
gigaflop sandwich mister"

rglenn
Jun 29, 2004, 09:31 AM

Not sure, but since dual layer DVDs are nothing new (only the -/+R version), my guess is it'd be fine.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 12:24 PM

rglenn is right they are nothing new.

you have DVD5 which is what consumers could only burn until early June when dual layer (DVD9) burners came out.

DVD9 are what most all of the new movies are printed on. about 90% of my DVD collection is DVD9 with only a few are DVD5.

So if you can play a Pirates of the Caribbean in your powerbook you can watch your burned DVD9 disc.

if you want to double check find out what your drive is like who makes it and what model it is (it's not an Apple SuperDrive or Combo, that is just what it's called) and then use the Drive Database at xlr8 your mac.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 01:08 PM

FYI, although LaCie has a very cool looking case, you can get a double layer DVD burner for about $85 from NewEgg. LaCie charges $129 for the bare drive. You could probably save some money by buying the burner from NewEgg and then getting a nice 5.25" optical drive enclosure. I don't think LaCie sells empty enclosures, but NewEgg has quite a selection of very nice looking ones, including some by MacAlly.

Forum Links
Forum Rules