Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Tiger On iPod

Tiger On iPod
ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2005, 09:43 PM

I tried to put Tiger on my iPod so i could boot from it on my school laptop.... But when i tried putting it on there it said, "There was an error occuring with the CD, would you like to try again?" And I said yes, and it happened again. Help please?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2005, 01:10 AM

If you use your iPod that way, you are likely to burn out the hard drive. The iPod can boot Tiger for emergency uses but it's not designed for long-term use. You'd be better off getting a portable FireWire drive for it.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

ApplCmptrDood  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 01:46 AM

OK. What is the cheapest portable HD out there. Money's a little tight with me... Maybe I can ask my dad for one of his, he was like a terabyte of music, and he stores it on portable HD's/ Does anyone wonder why it won't let me put it on my iPod though?
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2005, 12:35 PM

Not to sound sarcastic, but if it said there was an error with the CD, there could be a problem with the CD. Maybe there's some dust, fingerprints, or a scratch. I've had a scratch ruin one of my Panther discs (luckily it was disc 3) and the installer would always crap out once it tried installing Epson printer drivers.

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Allenzi35
Aug 13, 2005, 09:50 AM

IMHO I think it is ok to use the ipod drive and a regular HD. Beacuse thats that it is. It will not hurt it at all.

I always see people say that it's not made for that and it will damage it but then why is it that Sony has used the SAME EXACT DRIVE that is in they're small laptops for a few years with no problems?

I use my Ipod as a HD all the time and have never had a problem with it. I use it for a HD more than I use it for music. One of the reasons I bought it was because it is the SMALLEST 60GB HD out and I can have another OS and files on to carry back and fourth from work and have it in my pocket.

If it was giving you problems during install then something else is wrong because I have done the same thing that you are trying to do for over a year with no problems at all.

__^^__
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2005, 06:58 PM

I've never heard of burning out a hard drive. Do you have a reference we can read?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 13, 2005, 08:49 PM

No one's saying you shouldn't use the iPod as a hard drive. The problem is using it as a boot drive. Under normal use an iPod only accesses its hard drive every once in a while. As a boot drive it would be almost constantly in use. I doubt it's designed to handle the heat produced under those conditions.

And I could never find anything official about this, but I could have sworn that Apple refused to service iPods that had been used as boot drives. Maybe I made that up.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2005, 06:33 AM

Apple.com does recommend against sustained usage of an iPod as an external hard drive.

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 14, 2005, 11:23 AM

The iPod is designed to only spin up in short bursts to buffer like 20 minutes of music at a time. It is not made to use as an external hard drive. Also, I've booted Tiger from my iPod and it runs really really really slow on the iPod, so it's not even worth it. I suppose you could wear out the drive in the iPod if it's spinning too often.

Allenzi35
Aug 14, 2005, 11:46 AM

Rand, can you show me where on Apple.com it says that you are not recommended to use it in disk mode for extended periods of time? I cannot find it.

I also use my ipod to boot and run OSX at work and it is no slower than the 4200 RPM drive that it is. Check the model numbers of the ipod drives at Toshiba.com and the specs are the same as regular laptop drives. Rated at the same speeds and usage life hours. Again, Sony has used the same exact drives in super small laptops for years with no problems.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2005, 12:11 PM

I'll look for it and post back.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Aug 14, 2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by __^^__
I've never heard of burning out a hard drive. Do you have a reference we can read?
Another phrase commonly used is "my hard drive died." Hard drives die--they have moving parts. The more you use them, the sooner they will die. End of story. Every complaint on every message board about a hard drive dying is all the reference you need. The hard drive in your iPod will die eventually. How soon is [somewhat] up to you.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules