Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Why Dont I Have A Comm Port?

Why Dont I Have A Comm Port?
MARINEOSX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2006, 04:38 AM

I have a brand new MBP 17" and i dont understand why i cant get a db9 comm port for it. I think that is the most retarded thing that i have come accross with apple laptops. I have been using them for a long time and i love them but if i want to do anything with communications equipment such as cisco routers redcom switches or an SL-100 I need to have a comm port to do my job as well as emulation software to be able to have MMI. Is there any way that i can get an rs232 connection on my computer without having to boot into windows? I need to use it on a daily basis and I like the options that i get with OS X. Any help would be appreciated.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 15, 2006, 12:43 PM

I got a usb to comm port adapter from newegg for like $10, and use a free program called zterm to console into cisco routers all the time.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2006, 02:09 PM

Why don't you? Because Apple abandoned them with the release of the iMac.

Anyway, how does booting into Windows help you with getting a serial port?

USB to serial adapters can be had for $10-30 depending on brand.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 15, 2006, 04:55 PM

There are probably 1000 people in the whole world that NEED a comm port built into their laptops-and they get laptops that have 'em (the Panasonic ruggedized PC laptop, for example). If you "need" a comm port on your highly styled, extra compact MacBook Pro, then drop the $10 and get the dongle like Steve says. Seriously, who uses serial ports that much anymore? I don't have a single device that I need to talk to via serial, and if I did, I have this OLD PC laptop (an AST laptop with a 386SX processor in it-yeah, it's THAT old) that'll do the job great.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

NeoEsper
Dec 16, 2006, 02:04 PM

Not all PC laptops have comm ports either, I had to buy a usb adapter for mine so it is not that big of a deal.

dimmer
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 16, 2006, 03:41 PM

Or buy an xServe! You'll note that Cisco's recent routers don't have DB9 ports either, but a bastardized RJ45 thing, oh and is it DCE or DTE? Don't ask Cisco, they don't know. And then add some Foundry, some NetScreen and Lucent gear to the mix and your bag o' serial cables and adapters is bigger than your freaking laptop bag.

If you can afford it, get a console server and just ssh to wherever you need to get a console port. Not cheap, but sweet. Otherwise, yeah, a USB to Serial adaptor and ZTerm or whatever is your best bet.

BWhaler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 12:54 AM

Because it's 2006.

cavenba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 12:56 PM

I don't think I've ever had a device that used COM... My 2004 Dell has one port, it would have been a use of space if they put in a second VGA connector.

pcummins
Dec 17, 2006, 10:57 PM

Macs dropped serial ports (and never had parallel to start with) with the iMac. To be honest, I haven't actually missed them. I bought a USB -> Serial adaptor for about $50 Au a few years ago, works fine, does what I need when I need it. To be fair, even Dells and other well known brand name systems have dropped the parallel and serial ports in favour of more USB ports, this has caused a few headaches when replacing PC's that still use parallel port printers or serial modems.

The general attitude is pretty poor IMHO, just as MarineOSX depicts - "I spent $$$$$ on my computer, and I don't get 100% backwards compatibility with my 5-10 year old printer!?!?" People need to understand that all computing equipment is a consumable, it has a general set working life of 3-5 years, and if you have the TLC to make it last longer despite shortcomings you can keep on using it until it fails. Just don't expect your new gear to work with it, however.

I daren't think what would happen in the HighDef TV industry. There's so much BS slanged around about "HD Ready" "1080p", "Dual HDMI", "Extended HD" and other buzzwords I'm surprised a few class action lawsuits haven't been more widely publicised. A good case in point is HDMI 1.1 vs 1.3 - you get 1080p + more colour depth, but the average person who be bamboozled by the panel being able to do 1080p, not the input mechanism.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 03:04 AM

Yeah, I actually love that I don't have loads of ports I never use on my laptop. Bring on more usbs and firewires, we can get little dongles for the once in a blue moon we ever need to connect to something that needs some wierd legacy port.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 09:19 PM

Some parts of the computer-using world still use ancient technology for transferring data. Old-fashioned serial ports are used for programming the latest micros from companies like NEC, Fujitsu, Motorola, etc. Have you never worked with a programming kit for an embedded micro?

We recently got some new tools. One uses USB, the other uses the ethernet port. However, some tools are seldom updated even though the micro is the latest and greatest. Blame the companies for living in the past and not working as hard on their software tools as they do improving the cost and size (smaller) of their micros.

The microprocessor in the latest GM memory-seat modules is more powerful than the old Apple IIs and all it does is control the seat!

By the way, a MacBook is 2006 technology, not 1985. If you want a serial port, buy a PC.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 18, 2006, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Some parts of the computer-using world still use ancient technology for transferring data. Old-fashioned serial ports are used for programming the latest micros from companies like NEC, Fujitsu, Motorola, etc. Have you never worked with a programming kit for an embedded micro?

We recently got some new tools. One uses USB, the other uses the ethernet port. However, some tools are seldom updated even though the micro is the latest and greatest. Blame the companies for living in the past and not working as hard on their software tools as they do improving the cost and size (smaller) of their micros.

The microprocessor in the latest GM memory-seat modules is more powerful than the old Apple IIs and all it does is control the seat!

By the way, a MacBook is 2006 technology, not 1985. If you want a serial port, buy a PC.
Programming embedded devices is not the normal realm of your average laptop buyer. And if one needs a serial port, there are numerous USB to Serial devices available. Or the ever popular "dedicated development machine." As I said above, with the very low cost of a computer that would basically simply be a dumb terminal, there's no reason to bulk up what is arguably one of the best looking, slimmest and lightest laptops in the world with a serial port.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

wingdo
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by MARINEOSX View Post
I have a brand new MBP 17" and i dont understand why i cant get a db9 comm port for it.
In addition to the fact that Apple ditched serial ports with the iMac, I don't recall EVER having a Mac with a DB9 serial port. Even when my 'Books had serial ports I needed a converter from Apple's round serial port to the PC sides DB9.

I still need serial for Cisco work. I shelled out 15 bucks for a converter. It's no biggie.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

giggs11
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2006, 01:03 PM

My Dell laptop at work doesn't have a serial port either. I went to CompUSA, bought a $20 serial-to-USB adapter, and kept doing my work.

Apple has also realized that the small percentage of users who need that backwards compatibility can be served by third-party products. It's all a cost/benefit analysis for them.

MARINEOSX  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 02:08 PM

I understand that there are PC laptops that dont have them either and that is fine I am not saying that booting into windows is going to give me a serial adapter either but all of the drivers to give you USB to serial adapter capabilities seem to be for Windows not OS X and the ones that i can find are not that reliable and have caused Peoples Macs to have kernal panics and all sorts of OS problems. I am not trying to make one of the reasons that i use a mac disapear. if I have to boot into windows for the reliabilaty of a connection that would suck. I have Zterm already i am just waiting on the cable to get here. I have been looking at the USB to Serial for some time but I could not find a driver. Does zterm have them built into the app? Thanks for all of the help.
Bless those that sacrifice for us all.

ibook_steve
Dec 22, 2006, 03:26 PM

Keyspan | USB High Speed Serial Adapter

I've never had a problem with this in the limited use I've had with it (Tivo, GPS). Where have you been looking that you couldn't find this?

Zterm is a dumb terminal application. It doesn't have or need a driver. It will just see devices, like the Keyspan adapter, as a comm port.

Steve

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2006, 06:43 PM

You make it sound like its a catastrophoe for apple not have a 70's-80's port on a 2006 computer.
come on get with the times or stay with your time.

Theres plenty of usb to serial dongles out there-did you even bother to research?
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

wingdo
Senior User
Dec 22, 2006, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by MARINEOSX View Post
I have been looking at the USB to Serial for some time but I could not find a driver.
Here's a Google search of "OS X USB to Serial adapters" Turned up pages and pages all with drivers.
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

Forum Links
Forum Rules