Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Wallstreet doesn't read CDRWs

Wallstreet doesn't read CDRWs
dbergstrom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 23, 2000, 12:35 PM

I have a Wallstreet (2nd incarnation) with the standard 20X CD. On my desktop machine I use a Que Firewire CDRW (sweet drive, by the way!). My Wallstreet fails to mount the CDRWs burned on the Que drive, but mounts the CDRs just fine.

Shouldn't my Wallstreet have a multi-read drive capable of mounting CDRWs? Anybody else have this problem?

Thanks.
Don

denim
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2000, 10:17 AM

Originally posted by dbergstrom:
Shouldn't my Wallstreet have a multi-read drive capable of mounting CDRWs?
Nope. It came with a normal CD-ROM drive. If you want a CD-RW for it, you'll have to look.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

dbergstrom  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 24, 2000, 11:53 AM

Denim,

Thanks for responding, but I'm not talking about burning CDRWs. I merely want to read and mount CDRWs that were burned on another machine.

My beige G3 tower, which is of the same generation as my PowerBook, has a "multi-read" CDROM, which can read CDRW discs (it recognizes them like it would any other CD). My question is whether my PowerBook should have the same capability.
Don

BLKessler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2000, 12:06 PM

I find that when it comes to reading media on any drive other than the one that does the burning (including the one in my Wall Street PBG3), it's usually the media that determines what can be read successfully.

Try switching brands of media, or even using the same brand but with a different reflective coating. (For example, if your discs are blue, try using gold ones instead, etc.)

------------------
Brett Kessler
MCSE, MCP+I
--
Brett L. Kessler

photographer
Jul 24, 2000, 12:06 PM

the dvd drive option supports the cd-rw function (without the pci decoder card)

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2000, 12:33 PM

I have a 1st generation WallStreet, and it reads both CD-R and CD-RW media just fine.

I have noticed, however, that it's important to make sure the disc is firmly on the platter before you insert it into the drive. Sometimes it complains that the disc isn't a recognized format and offers to reformat it for me, and if I reseat it, it works just fine.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

gtabbott
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2000, 12:51 PM

What software are you using for burning?

I use Toast, and I know that I have to have the Adaptec UDF Volume Access extension in the System Folder of any computer that I want to be able to read CD-RW discs burned with Toast.

Note that earlier versions of the Adpatec extension conflicted with the Apple UDF Volume Access extension, but that the latest version (3.5.7) fixes this (it is available at the Adaptec Site, I believe).

Tod Abbott.

denim
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2000, 12:55 PM

The only problem with the DVD option at the moment is that they're not available new anymore, from what I've heard. You can get used ones, though.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

Paul C
Jul 24, 2000, 01:27 PM

I have a Wallstreet 300, and haven't yet had any problems mounting or reading from CD-RW discs. I agree with many of the others posts stating that it's often the media, and not the hardware or software. Cheapo, no-name media is a crapshoot, regardless of how good the price may be.

Andy Barton
Jul 24, 2000, 04:15 PM

I posted a very similar question on the PowerBook tech forum a couple of months back.

I was told by an Apple tech that the CD drives in laptops are not as "powerful" as in desktops and therefore the laser cannot read the pits on the disk.

Believe that if you will - the drive in my daughter's iMac reads CDRW media, as does the drive in the Dell laptop in the office.

I now stick to CDRs and have done with it - they are so much cheaper anyway (even the branded ones)

Mark Bausch
Jul 24, 2000, 07:31 PM

I too own a WallStreet (250, 13.3, 9.04, 96 MB RAM) and a Yahama CRW6416SX drive...and the Apple CD in the expansion bay does not read any CD-RWs burned in the Yamaha...and the CD-RWs are those that came with the drive (i.e. Yamaha brand). Any help would be appreciated.

milhaus
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2000, 12:04 AM

Wallstreet CD-ROM drives cannot read CD-RWs. There was a TIL article on this issue, but I can't seem to find it now. Of course, they work with the 300s and their DVD module. Solution: spend a few bucks on CD-Rs. Why bother with CD-RWs anymore? BTW, doesn't your CD-R read discs too?
|Desktop:|Abit NFS7 Athlon 3200+, 1GIG RAM, DVD-R (A05) CDRW (52x), 1X200GIG, 1X160GIG, 2X120GIG, ATI Radeon 9800Pro, Samsung 172x Win XP Pro SP2
|Laptop:| Powerbook G4 12" 1.33ghz AE BT 768MB 10.3
|Laptop 2:| Compaq 1050CA 1.4ghz Centrino 512MB Win XP Home

Forum Links
Forum Rules