Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Living With: fourth-generation Apple TV

Living With: fourth-generation Apple TV
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 21, 2015, 06:24 PM

Generally speaking, reviews are done in a very short period of time, as we only are allowed a loaner product for just a few weeks. So, if we want to get a feel for a product for a longer time than allowed, we buy our products for review. I've made no secret that I'm a big fan of the Apple TV, so I jumped on a first-day delivery of the 32GB fourth-generation Apple TV, and wrote about it. Now, a few software updates later, how is it faring?

The Good: the Apple TV application ecosystem

This has greatly improved. As time as gone on, more of our previously-owned apps have Apple TV versions, and many more have been added. The ability to identify an app as compatible with the Apple TV has grown, and shopping for apps on the Apple TV itself is much, much better.

Third party streamers are arriving. Plex is wonderful, and bypasses one of the problems we've seen with the Apple TV -- more on that in a bit. VLC is coming, and is in beta testing now. Both of these, and a host of other applications, removes the H.264 "lock-in" of video formats that the iOS and now tvOS have been criticized for.

Netflix works better than it does on the third-generation Apple TV, but is still very sensitive to network conditions, and pops up a "this item isn't available for streaming right now, try again later" dialog as a generic failure error, necessitating backing out to the main menu and re-starting Netflix. Still, its an improvement over the crashtastic version of Netflix for earlier Apple TVs.

Overall, the application situation on the Apple TV is good, and getting better. Gaming is nice to have, but as of yet, does not stand up to even 2000-era consoles for the most part.

The Bad: Apple-compatible Media Playback

We're going to cut right to it. The fourth-generation Apple TV is a fine player -- assuming you've bought into iTunes, served from Apple's farms, utterly and completely. We're running into situations where the Apple TV just stops playing on both wireless and wired networks, requiring a reboot.

We'd think it was a network problem, but we've tried it in the simplest of networks -- consisting of an Apple Airport Extreme router, and one of two servers -- and we'd still have the problem. We swapped out Apple TVs with Apple, and we still had the problem. During all this time, the second- and third-generation Apple TVs had no issue playing back the media from the server, with no hangs or crashes. Therefore, the crashing isn't a network issue.

More problematically, on both the main use environment, and the test environment, videos streamed from Apple's servers as iTunes purchases worked fine, every time. Even marathons of multiple episodes spanning days and days of continuous playback didn't hang the Apple TV like stored media did. Interestingly, however, the same videos downloaded through iTunes and stored on the home server crashed the Apple TV, just the same as user-encoded video did. So, its not some problem with encoding. Not much left, other than iTunes being the problem ... again.

The solution for Apple TV crashing on user video playback is the aforementioned Plex. Playing back the home-encoded videos works well through the third-party streaming combo, and hasn't crashed the Apple TV for us on either the home network or the test network -- at least not yet.

So, this is a mixed bag. When movie streaming works, it works great. When it just decides to stop working for reasons known only to itself? Yank the power, and start again. Not great.

The Ugly: The Siri remote

Just a few weeks ago, there would have been a paragraph here about the utter lack of Remote app support, but this was added (and welcomed) in the last revision. That patched, there's now a new issue, and it is the Siri remote, for so many reasons.

Siri still doesn't work as promised by Cook and company, but the last two patches have made it somewhat better. Adding to that, the Siri remote isn't readily discernible at a touch which side is up! The distance between the full buttons and the top of the remote is the same as to the bottom, so unless you get a good look at the remote as you pick it up, there's a 50/50 shot that you'll be clicking on hard aluminum before you situate the device in your hands. This is a lesson that Apple should have already learned with the hockey puck mouse, but alas, not so much.

There is no solution for poor Siri support that we can deduce, other than a future patch from Cupertino. As far as the symmetry of the remote, old Apple TV remotes, including the white plastic original one, still work fine and aren't problematic to identify which way is up in the dark.

TIE Fighter for scale. Seriously, though. Rummage for the remote on the left in the dark, and see what happens.
TIE Fighter for scale. Seriously, though. Rummage for the remote on the left in the dark, and see what happens.

Recommendations, two months later

As much as I hate to say it, the best answer right now for video playback on the television from the Apple ecosystem is the third-generation Apple TV. For only $69, you get an Airplay target, and a media streamer compatible with Apple's sold and rented videos. However, the third-generation Apple TV has no Apple Music support directly, and will likely not ever, as I suspect this support in the form of tvOS for the older device would have arrived by now.

Apps are good, and frankly needed, on this iteration of the Apple TV, because we need them to work around some issues with the set-top. However, given the other problems right now with the device, they aren't enough to push the fourth-generation Apple TV into a "must buy" at this time. Should Apple hammer out the playback crashes, and work on the Siri remote, then that will change the equation quite a bit.

-Mike Wuerthele
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Dec 21, 2015 at 08:33 PM. )

DaveinBurl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 21, 2015, 07:02 PM

My workaround for the symmetry of the Siri remote was to buy the wrist cable (should have been included). With the wrist cable attached, you can easily determine the top and bottom of the remote. I'm only suggesting this as a workaround that works for me and might for some others...

Playback of locally stored network media got much better in tvOS 9.1, previously it was disastrous, but there are still issues...

My biggest frustration with the remote is when scrolling through the media on my iTunes Library, if I don't scroll perfectly straight (something that seems difficult for me), it switches to another listing (Unwatched, All or Genre). Apple, if you are scrolling in Unwatched, you don't want to switch to All or Genre when scrolling.

rocky2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 21, 2015, 08:11 PM

I have three of these ATV4 units and they all suffer from AWFUL buffering issues for ANYTHING related to iTunes, meaning trailers, rental movies and purchased movies. Local streaming using PLEX is fine and both Netflix and HULU have no streaming problems either, so it looks like an iTunes server-side problem to me, or the caching algorithm that the Apple TV4 uses is bad.
This is with a 1 Gbps FTTH backhaul and using a powerful Netgear Nighthawk 2 x 2 MIMO wifi connection to the ATV4 with local wifi speeds of 500 Mbps. I checked with a Cat 6 cable connection too and same problem.
Apple sort this out please or these three ATVs are going back to the store.

bobolicious
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2015, 12:09 PM

...asking siri to find a movie in netflix frequently switches me to the itunes store...

wisti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2015, 12:51 PM

You know, there is one long button on the right and two smaller buttons on the left of the remote.... Shouldn't be that hard to discern which end is the top...

boston_mac_guy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 22, 2015, 01:18 PM

I find the Siri remote really hard to use--swiping seems really sporadic. As others have noted, it's hard to know if you're going straight up or down, or slightly left or right. Any possibility something's wrong?

Almost makes me want to go back to old-style remote with the arrows.

panjandrum
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2015, 04:00 PM

Unfortunately we have a situation where a) companies feel that they have to "refresh" things that are already essentially perfect in their design. Enter change for the sake of change. Apple is not in any way the only company to fall victim to this mentality. Once something is just about as good as it can get (like the silver remote), then unless the followup is somehow utterly brilliant in some unforeseen way, then the only way is backwards: and b) Apple sadly no longer has the one person who truly seemed to understand that the single most important thing about a piece of computer hardware/software (or *anything* really) is the way that item interfaces with a (normal) human being. I recommended a LOT of the Apple TVs to the elderly. Why? Because they worked absolutely perfectly and intuitively. People who just couldn't get the hang of other things could learn and remember how to use the Apple TV. Other than the Apple Ecosystem lock-in, they were brilliant. I won't be recommending the new one to anybody, at any age. Why? Because it terms of usability it's a huge step backwards; a step where Apple didn't look where they were going and fell off a cliff. It's change for the sake of change, and in this case, as has been all too frequent lately, it's a change for the worse.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Dec 22, 2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by wisti View Post
You know, there is one long button on the right and two smaller buttons on the left of the remote.... Shouldn't be that hard to discern which end is the top...
Yeah, try it in the dark a few times.

If the long button was a different size width-wise than the other buttons it would be a different story.

Forum Links
Forum Rules