Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > The funky new headphone/remote connector

The funky new headphone/remote connector
jmelrose
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 01:13 AM

The new iPod has a funky new headphone/remote connector. The two have clearly been separated for a reason, as the previous version's solution for both-in-one was rather elegant (and space saving). For some reason Apple wanted the audio jack to be separate from the remote jack. Hmm...

With this new dock, can it be long before one of the industrious companies out there puts out a bluetooth piece of hardware that can connect to the top, and act as a bluetooth withless remote from the ipod? Or even a wireless infrared for those of you equipped with such hardware. I would think an IR-equipped palm could do the job of a remote..

But with Bluetooth... for some of the amazing things I've seen done with bluetooth already, I can't imagine someone couldn't rig a remote which could not only jump track-to-track but even bring up a list of playlists on the iPod and make it playable via bluetooth. the thing can dial a phone, so why not?

So... what else might this new addition become?

JM
Gurnee

MaxPower2k3
Mac Elite
May 3, 2003, 01:16 AM

well any kind of adapter would take up too much space, for one, and it could not provide any more functionality than the remote without some sort of software update as well. what's wrong with having the cord run up under your jacket and clip to the side?

geekwagon
Senior User
May 3, 2003, 02:08 AM

I've heard from many people that the old headphone jack was quite fragile if you weren't using the remote. Also, the new plug is probably cheaper as it is the same plug that almost every other MP3 and MD player with a wired remote uses. Looks just like the one on my RIO 250..

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 3, 2003, 03:14 AM

Well, one reason is simply because the previous connector often worked its way out of connection, making the remote stop working. This was because it was circular, and free to turn. The new connector should solve that problem at least.
( Last edited by icruise; May 3, 2003 at 02:26 PM. )

niji
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 04:31 AM

according to today's rumors: it will be for ability to record.

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2003, 05:49 AM

Originally posted by jmelrose:
The new iPod has a funky new headphone/remote connector. The two have clearly been separated for a reason, as the previous version's solution for both-in-one was rather elegant (and space saving). For some reason Apple wanted the audio jack to be separate from the remote jack. Hmm...

With this new dock, can it be long before one of the industrious companies out there puts out a bluetooth piece of hardware that can connect to the top, and act as a bluetooth withless remote from the ipod? Or even a wireless infrared for those of you equipped with such hardware. I would think an IR-equipped palm could do the job of a remote..

But with Bluetooth... for some of the amazing things I've seen done with bluetooth already, I can't imagine someone couldn't rig a remote which could not only jump track-to-track but even bring up a list of playlists on the iPod and make it playable via bluetooth. the thing can dial a phone, so why not?

So... what else might this new addition become?

JM
Gurnee
It was very fragile, and I am very glad that it was changed. I have had to send two iPods back with broken pins inside the iPod due to this. This way, no circular turning, better reliability etc.

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
May 3, 2003, 01:54 PM

No, no, didn't mean a Bluetooth remote for personal "carrying around" type-use. I meant you could have your ipod hooked up to your home stereo system and use your iMac/Powerbook to control it. The Mic potential is is cool too. I just think there's a lot of potential connectivity there. An iPod bluetooth remote wouldn't need to have an iPod OS update... the iPod already knows how to "repsond' to a remote. The software would be on the Mac/Windows? side to let you have a "virtual" remote on your computer desktop.

Y'know, theoretically...

ccrider
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 06:10 PM

One nice thing about the separate remote connection is that the sound quality is improved.

I could notice a distortion when I used the inline remote connection as opposed to a "clean" connection. That and a very flaky plug that you had to jam in to work.

Lovin' my new 30gig!

swsteckly
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2003, 06:37 PM

It's also visible that the contacts in both plugs are now gold-plated, which should improve sound quality, lower surface resistance, and greatly extend connector life, especially when used with a gold-plated plug.

Right on, apple!

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
May 4, 2003, 09:53 AM

You mean the plug on the ipod are? Mine's headphone jack doesn't seem to be but my lighting is wierd here. My headphones' plus definitely isn't. Very silvery-colored.

Does that make a real difference anyway?

I'm currently trying to figure out why some of the bass on my AACs file sounds distorted in headphones when it never did with MP3 files. If you have an opinon, I'd love to hear it. MP3's were encoded at 160, AAC at 128.

jMelrose

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2003, 08:56 PM

I don't know if this has posted before but i just realized the original remote still works for the new ipod.

jmelrose  (op)
Forum Regular
May 7, 2003, 12:56 PM

I also sort of miss the "click" of the old remote's plug into the ipod. Made is feel like a secure connection. My new one just sort of slides in without feeling like much is keeping it from falling out.

Ok, this is starting to sound like a description of a sexual experience. Nevermind...

So, um, any comments on the bass response comment posted above?

Thanks,

Jeff
Gurnee IL

billybob128
Senior User
May 7, 2003, 03:51 PM

i have a bass problem on my iPod 2nd gen but its not distorted it just doesnt play bass through the left headphone... it did for a while but then stopped i havnt mistreated it i mean who could misstreat one wierd huh i also havnt tried it with other headphones to see if it is the iPod or the headphones any one else with this problem

Forum Links
Forum Rules