Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Full time pedestrians: Do you feel superior?

Full time pedestrians: Do you feel superior?
macintologist
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 01:18 AM

I live on a small college campus smack dab in the middle of a medium-sized town with a bustling downtown main street. I don't own a car and don't need one. I walk or bike everywhere. When I see cars driving by on the roads I feel superior to them. Unlike these idiots who have to drive 10 minutes to an hour to work every single day, who have to make gas payments, car payments, insurance payments, parking payments, etc, my commute to work and classes is literally a 3 minute walk or less. How kickass is that? Once I leave the college bubble I'm gonna try to live as close to work as possible and go as long as possible without owning a car and paying for gas, insurance and maintenance.

And if I ever need a car for something? I'll just rent one from Enterprise. When I make a reservation they will come pick me up.

Anyone else who feels this way, chime in.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2008, 01:20 AM

No chiming here.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
No chiming here.
Nobody walks to work in Iowa?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:23 AM

I do, as long as I'm walking.

Once I get into my car, I feel even more superior

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Dec 3, 2008, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by macintologist View Post
Nobody walks to work in Iowa?
Not when it's five below zero with a windchill of negative twenty.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:37 AM

I feel superior until I run into a pedestrian traffic jam, and then I wish I had a car to run over these idiots with.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:41 AM

At least you're willing to admit you have an ego about walking to school.

Seriously. I live about a mile from work. I take the bus to work every day. Why? Because I don't really feel like paying $350 a year for a parking permit (one of the disadvantages of working at uni is that everyone has to pay for parking).

Do I feel superior about taking the bus to work? Not at all. Not everyone can walk to work. Not everyone can take the bus. Some people are simply more comfortable driving on their own. I don't pass judgment on someone based on their transportation choices (usually - I tend to laugh at idiot frat boys in pimped-out riceburners, and soccer moms in freaking Hummers).

It just seems like a pretty lame thing to have a superiority complex about.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:44 AM

How about a superiority complex about not having a superiority complex?

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 01:52 AM

Cars are great, they are just a huge pain in the ass, and that's just when I rent one, having to find a parking space and such.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 01:59 AM

Just came back from a 1,500 mile roadtrip.

Would have sucked if I had to walk that.

-t

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Just came back from a 1,500 mile roadtrip.

Would have sucked if I had to walk that.

-t
If any one mode of transportation makes me feel more superior than walking, it is definitely air travel.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:13 AM

If any one mode of transportation makes me feel more superior than walking, it is definitely air travel.
At the current gas prices, my wallet objects to the prices of airline tickets compared to gas.

Road trips have not been that cheap in years. Gotta love it.

-t

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 05:28 AM

I ride a 50cc scooter. I feel superior to both pedestrians *and* car drivers! I'm faster than a pedestrian, and I can avoid 3/4 of traffic jams just by taking the shoulder. :-)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 05:36 AM

As somebody who held out for a long time without a car, I'm going to say that any superiority you feel is strictly in your head.

Sure, it works fine if you never need to go anywhere, but you're just lucky if that's the case. Living minutes away from your job isn't always practical, and sometimes it can wind up being even more expensive than owning a car — not to mention a huge cramp on your lifestyle (is your job in the sort of place you want to live?). Not every place is like a university, where everything is designed to be within easy walking distance. For instance, the only bar really close to my work is dreadful.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

red rocket
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 06:53 AM

I feel superior to other people regardless of what mode of transport I am using. Most people cannot drive effectively, cannot ride effectively, and they cannot walk effectively, either.

paul w
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 08:15 AM

I couldn't imagine owning a car - here in New York parking's an issue and traffic sucks. I just rent or use zipcar and that works out grand. I'm sure a lot of folks here have compelling reasons for owning a car, but I can't imagine they all do. I don't get why they are so many cars here.

But outside of the city I absolutely love to drive.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 08:55 AM

Unlike these idiots who have to drive 10 minutes to an hour to work every single day, who have to make gas payments, car payments, insurance payments, parking payments, etc, my commute to work and classes is literally a 3 minute walk or less. How kickass is that? Once I leave the college bubble I'm gonna try to live as close to work as possible and go as long as possible without owning a car and paying for gas, insurance and maintenance.
No but you do sound arrogant.

While I live near a major city, there's no getting around owning a car especially when you have kids, so if that makes me an idiot because I own a car, have to pay for gas, and insurance etc, then so be it.
~Mike

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 08:55 AM

Walking? I just commandeer a walker and hop on their back.

Sometimes I use a whip, you know, if they're slow.
Then I feel superior.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Railroader
Banned
Dec 3, 2008, 11:27 AM

I fell superior to all of the people who feel superior to...

...uhhh...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 11:34 AM

You know what made me feel superior in college? Whenever we needed to go somewhere and who the car?

> This Guy <

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 11:55 AM

I'll who your car.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 11:57 AM

One of my favorite memories from college is from freshman year, when a few of us who lived in the same dorm surreptitiously parked our friend's car in the middle of the quad.

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 12:35 PM

Living in Johannesburg, if I walked around I would probably get ass raped, mugged, shot, and possibly fit.

None of which I care for.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
You know what made me feel superior in college? Whenever we needed to go somewhere and who the car?

> This Guy <
That Oneâ„¢ ?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 12:44 PM

I am a full time pedestrian and I absolutely feel [in] superior [health]. I walk about 5-7 miles a day to and from the office(s) (I freelance and go to different clients' offices), and since I started have lost nearly 50 lbs (of course I've also been working very hard at improving the way I eat).

SSharon
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
For instance, the only bar really close to my work is dreadful.
I'm not sure if this is the best example to extol the virtues of driving over walking.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 01:43 PM

If it was possible to transport a ton of power tools to the jobsite on my back I wouldn't drive either.

My g/f's brother lives in Boston and has never owned a car. Works right near where he lives, etc. Is he better than a non-car owning person?...haha, no. Because he has to get his ass shuttled by my g/f for any family event that happens and if he stays down to late he needs to get a ride all the way back into Boston because the trains don't run late.

I'll take the massive hit on my wallet for the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want. I hate relying on anybody/anything besides myself.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'll take the massive hit on my wallet for the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want. I hate relying on anybody/anything besides myself.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 02:08 PM

Full time pedestrian here, sans car for many years.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 02:16 PM

I live on a small college campus smack dab in the middle of a medium-sized town with a bustling downtown main street. I don't own a car and don't need one. I walk or bike everywhere. When I see cars driving by on the roads I feel superior to them. Unlike these idiots who have to drive 10 minutes to an hour to work every single day, who have to make gas payments, car payments, insurance payments, parking payments, etc, my commute to work and classes is literally a 3 minute walk or less. How kickass is that? Once I leave the college bubble I'm gonna try to live as close to work as possible and go as long as possible without owning a car and paying for gas, insurance and maintenance.

And if I ever need a car for something? I'll just rent one from Enterprise. When I make a reservation they will come pick me up.

Anyone else who feels this way, chime in.
I actually feel you on this. I commute about 30 miles each way. It got tiring the first day.

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 02:33 PM

Plus, you can't put custom mags on your feet or a spoiler on your ass.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 02:46 PM

Sure you can. It's just not very comfortable.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 06:14 PM

I moved to be close to my new job. I love walking to work.

macintologist  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
If it was possible to transport a ton of power tools to the jobsite on my back I wouldn't drive either.

My g/f's brother lives in Boston and has never owned a car. Works right near where he lives, etc. Is he better than a non-car owning person?...haha, no. Because he has to get his ass shuttled by my g/f for any family event that happens and if he stays down to late he needs to get a ride all the way back into Boston because the trains don't run late.

It's called renting a car

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 07:51 PM

I love my car. I love driving. I love walking. I love riding my pushbike. But most of all I love covering myself with peanut butter and letting squirrels lick it off my naked body.

Ah... ignore that last bit.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 08:49 PM

That's not whenever he wants. What's he supposed to do if he wants to do a White Castle run at 4 am?

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2008, 09:13 PM

That's not whenever he wants. What's he supposed to do if he wants to do a White Castle run at 4 am?
Well, he'll probably weigh 50lbs less at the end of the year since he wont be able to make that trip.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Well, he'll probably weigh 50lbs less at the end of the year since he wont be able to make that trip.
Substitute booty call for White Castle run, then.

(new thread - Full time White Castle avoiders: Do you feel superior?)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 3, 2008, 11:14 PM

I guess I could always DRIVE a f**king hour to get to the nearest car rental place.

Not everyone lives in an urban hub where everything is within walking/biking distance.

Railroader
Banned
Dec 4, 2008, 01:23 AM

(new thread - Full time White Castle avoiders: Do you feel superior?)
YES!!!

Once a year I stop, buy a few sliders, get diarrhea, and remind myself why I HATE White Castle.

MacMan4000
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 01:29 AM

( Last edited by MacMan4000; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: .)

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 01:43 AM

You really do have a big ego about this, don't you? Try not to be so judgmental of people who don't live their lives the way that you do.

Some people live in rural areas where walking or biking is not an option, and renting a car is out of the question due to distance and expense.

Others might have hobbies that require the frequent need for hauling stuff, like gardening and woodworking ... and things that require trailers, like horses and boats and campers.

Still other people may have physical needs that prevent them from walking, biking, or taking a bus.

Then, of course, you have families, where hauling around two kids, a stroller, and things to keep them amused is enough to deal with that you need your own vehicle.

A person might be under 25. This means that they can't rent a car without paying a penalty for being too young. For such a person, renting a car whenever they need a vehicle is not cost-effective unless they only need a car a few times a year.

You're generalizing everyone else's lives based on the fact that you are able to get by without a car. Sure, if you live in a big city, you're unlikely to need one. You probably don't have a big enough home to go furniture shopping frequently, have a large garden, etc.

If you live on a college campus and there is a decent grocery store nearby, of course you don't need a car! It's a campus, for crying out loud - everything, including things like convenience stores and medical care, are immediately available to you on your university campus. This is not the same environment in which non-students live.

But for the majority of people in this country, a car-free lifestyle just isn't all that feasible. I love not having to drive to work every day. But I sure am thankful I have a car when I decide to go to IKEA or the hardware store or even just the grocery store. And, of course, taking my cats to the vet is a lot easier when I don't have to walk or bike, since the city buses don't allow non-service animals on board.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 05:35 AM

The average cost of car insurance is $200 a month. The average price of a rental car is probably about $50 a day. So if you need a car once a week, it's cost-effective to rent. If you need a car a lot more than that, you probably aren't the kind of person the OP is talking about.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 05:54 AM

The average cost of car insurance is $200 a month.
Add value depreciation, maintenance, repairs, parking tickets, and, where applicable, ownership tax and fees for roadworthiness/emissions tests.

In some cases, moving farther away from work can actually decrease rent enough to offset the cost of a car.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 06:37 AM

I love my car, but 90+% of the time I drive on wonderful rural roads with zero traffic. It's just Satriani and I zipping along a mountain road, then I hit the M button and giggle with child-like glee.

Pedestrians superior? Heh.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2008, 09:01 AM

The average cost of car insurance is $200 a month. The average price of a rental car is probably about $50 a day. So if you need a car once a week, it's cost-effective to rent.
At the very simplest level, sure. But when you get into the details such as availability of rental agencies, planning ahead for unexpected trips, etc. it gets a little sketchy. Also, $200/month?? Does everyone drive 2008 model year cars? I have full coverage on my car (and I'm by no means an ideal driver) for $330/6 months.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 4, 2008, 09:04 AM

Sounds like fun.

As long as Satriani's just riding shotgun and not actually playing, that is.

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 09:05 AM

My coverage on my computers comes to more than my car.

calverson
Mac Elite
Dec 4, 2008, 09:06 AM

And I have a 2005 BMW 325D.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 4, 2008, 09:09 AM

Full time douche****: Do you feel superior to non-douche****?

WTF, macintologist? I don't own a car right now but don't go around acting like I'm better than other people as a result. What's wrong with you?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules