Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Enhanced Optimized

Enhanced Optimized (Page 22)
Gulliver64
Oct 8, 2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by halimedia View Post
Question: Is there a custom-generated wisdom-file present on the machine you have linked to? That may explain why the differences are greater on your machine than I observed during my benchmarking runs...

Curiously,

Ron
Ron,

I use the wisdom file that was posted for the G5 in this thread. The latest result was slightly faster than the previous 2.

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Gulliver64 View Post
I use the wisdom file that was posted for the G5 in this thread. The latest result was slightly faster than the previous 2.
Interesting! May I suggest you let your G5 run the way it is until you have a representative set of v8-results, and that you then temporarily remove the wisdom file to see how the situation changes? That would be helpful!

TIA,

Ron

Gulliver64
Oct 8, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by halimedia View Post
Interesting! May I suggest you let your G5 run the way it is until you have a representative set of v8-results, and that you then temporarily remove the wisdom file to see how the situation changes? That would be helpful!

TIA,

Ron
Ron,

interesting development: Just finished the first longer WU (7,400 seconds). This one was faster on a credits/hour basis than the 7.1 results were. I noticed this earlier but did not think it was relevant: When changing the worker-app the first 1 or 2 WUs are much slower than later ones. Could this be due to cache handling/use?

adream
Oct 8, 2007, 08:53 AM

weh hey !!

many thanks alex and co for releasing the new clients !

much appreciated,

sorry about whinging the other day in my last post a bit, but i thought i was just reminding you that there where eager crunchers out there chomping at the bit ..

all loaded up on my 8-core and lets see what it can do.....great !

regards

adream
63. (1) (b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 10:11 AM

Installed on my C2D iMac and crunching away.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 10:19 AM

Posted in the optimized apps thread on SETI.

alexkan
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Gulliver64 View Post
interesting development: Just finished the first longer WU (7,400 seconds). This one was faster on a credits/hour basis than the 7.1 results were. I noticed this earlier but did not think it was relevant: When changing the worker-app the first 1 or 2 WUs are much slower than later ones. Could this be due to cache handling/use?
Actually, I'm more interested in the fact that you're seeing the new apps being slower than the old apps primarily on shorter WUs, which points to some sort of difference in the FFTW libraries between the two builds. This also fits with your observation that v7.1mb is also slower than v7.1, since v7.1mb was built against the same FFTW library as v8.

Have you made modifications to the app_info.xml file I've provided to copy the old wisdom file into your WU directories? If you could find some way to attach the wisdom file you're using and tell me more about your system setup, it could be useful for diagnosing the problem.

Gulliver64
Oct 8, 2007, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by alexkan View Post
Actually, I'm more interested in the fact that you're seeing the new apps being slower than the old apps primarily on shorter WUs, which points to some sort of difference in the FFTW libraries between the two builds. This also fits with your observation that v7.1mb is also slower than v7.1, since v7.1mb was built against the same FFTW library as v8.

Have you made modifications to the app_info.xml file I've provided to copy the old wisdom file into your WU directories? If you could find some way to attach the wisdom file you're using and tell me more about your system setup, it could be useful for diagnosing the problem.
Hi alex,

I just installed v8 on my second G5. Let's see how it behaves there.

No, I have not modified the app_info.xml. On this second G5 I do not use a wisdom file at all.

Gulliver64
Oct 8, 2007, 05:26 PM

O.k., now here is what I see after 5 results on my seconds G5 (Dual 2.7GHz): As with my other G5 (Dual 2.5GHz) the first 2 results with v8 are appr. 5-10% slower than with the original 7.1, all other results are appr. 10% FASTER. Very interesting ...

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2007, 07:45 PM

> Re getting the latest enhanced optimized SETI running on my Mac Pro.

Thanks QSilver

It worked, but I just cant seem to get the install right... every time I change workers, I seem to need to reinstall BOINC and when I do it launches itself immediately and cant find the right worker and I need to muck around to get it to load the right one

Is there a simple stepwise way if upgrading the worker? (I looked back through many previous posts and have not spotted one... yet)

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 8, 2007, 08:14 PM

The 2 files that you have to put in the folder are the application itself and the app_info.xml file. The second one tells the Boinc Manager to use the correct application.

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2007, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by arkayn View Post
The 2 files that you have to put in the folder are the application itself and the app_info.xml file. The second one tells the Boinc Manager to use the correct application.
Thanks - I guess its just 'permission' issues I get every time I copy in something new.

Another quick question, I am now using V8 --- is a wisdom file needed? or will it make things even better? I seem to recall a program to generate the right wisdom file. If I do need one, where can I get the generator program? I use an 8 core Mac Pro.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2007, 08:26 PM

Just installed v8 in my core duo MBP; will keep you advised. Now off to put it on my iBook G4.

beadman

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2007, 08:41 PM

Installed V8 on my iBook G4 without a problem - picked up on the work in progress with troubles. Did have the permissions problem when I tried to start BOINC, but on both the MBP and the iBook, once I re-installed BOINC, it started right up.

beadman

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2007, 09:43 PM

First unit completed, started with 7;1MB and finished with v8 G4. Had an error in the results:
<core_client_version>5.10.20</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<stderr_txt>
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
MacOS Error -5000 occured in /Users/alexkan/seti/boinc/api/mac_icon.C line 107
OS X optimized S@H Enhanced application by Alex Kan
Version info: OS X Altivec (G4/G5, G4-optimized v7.1mb-nographics) V5.13 by Alex Kan

Work Unit Info:
Credit multiplier is : 2.85
WU true angle range is : 0.840107

Flopcounter: 9403489698861.500000

Spike count: 1
Pulse count: 0
Triplet count: 0
Gaussian count: 0
</stderr_txt>
]]>

WU was valid, and I received 31+ credits.

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2007, 10:18 PM

Install went fine on iMactel T7200. Had to do the BOINC-reinstall as well. No big deal.
VERY nice speedup

AR=.407423 Credit= 54.24

V7.2mb = 5734.13
V8 = 5104.82 11% faster!

Pretty kickin' for only 2.0Ghz saddled w/ rather pokey DDR2 667 CL 5-5-5-15 memory

Nice work Alex!

alexkan
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Another quick question, I am now using V8 --- is a wisdom file needed? or will it make things even better? I seem to recall a program to generate the right wisdom file. If I do need one, where can I get the generator program? I use an 8 core Mac Pro.
No wisdom files are needed if you're on an Intel Mac. Even if you're on PowerPC, wisdom files from the past should probably not be used with v8 builds because of version differences between the FFTW libraries in those builds and the fft_test applications.
Originally Posted by beadman View Post
First unit completed, started with 7;1MB and finished with v8 G4. Had an error in the results:

<snip>

WU was valid, and I received 31+ credits.
From the looks of things, that WU was never touched by the v8 app, since it would have announced its presence in the stderr output. The -5000 error you saw should be familiar to a lot of people by now, as it's what happens when the SETI app fails to update its icon because of the file permissions used to keep BOINC and its apps sandboxed. You shouldn't see this anymore, since I made sure that every app already had its icon before I packaged the releases.

On a related note...Thanar, if you're out there, have you tried running this latest crop of apps? I'm curious if they solve the issue you were seeing with running apps at less than 100% CPU utilization.

Elphidieus
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 11:41 AM

Performance on a Mac Pro 8-core with only 3GB RAM (what an embarrassment)....

Result based on crunching of 4 simultaneous cores

WU Credit= 54.26

V7.2 = 5800-6000s
V8 = 3800-4000s

Improvement = 33% faster

Now that's a v8 on a V8....

[email protected]
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2007, 04:20 PM

Hi,

is anyone else getting lots of 'Computation errors' running the new v7 and v8 workers?

I was getting them before on v7 then (I think) they went away, now I'm getting them on v8 as well. The units processed are faster than before but many are computation errors after a few mins/secs. Most with a 'missing output file message' (sorry dont have one to show) but some with this message...

"process exited with code 250 (0xfa, -6))"

*** Update ***

The results for most of these errors contains the following:

<core_client_version>5.10.7</core_client_version>
<![CDATA[
<message>
Can't create shared memory: system shmget
</message>
]]

any one else seeing this? or know what it is?
( Last edited by [email protected]; Oct 11, 2007 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Update status of message)
I love my Mac's and WoW - what else is there? :)
My Mac's: Mac Pro 8 Core, Mac Book Pro 15" Core Duo, iMac G5, Mac Mini G4
WoW toons: Dark Kahuna (Hunter), Dark Tower (Mage), Dark Diamond (Warlock) - For the Horde!!

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2007, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi,

is anyone else getting lots of 'Computation errors' running the new v7 and v8 workers?

I was getting them before on v7 then (I think) they went away, now I'm getting them on v8 as well. The units processed are faster than before but many are computation errors after a few mins/secs. Most with a 'missing output file message' (sorry dont have one to show) but some with this message...

"process exited with code 250 (0xfa, -6))"
I've received the following error quite frequently as of late: 'SETI@home error -6 Bad workunit header' - could that be the same? (using BOINC 5.10.7 and .20 CLI here). There appear to be quite a few corrupt WUs like that out there at the moment...

A good way to check whether errors are caused by some problem with your particular configuration or by the WU itself is to look at the quorum results of the WU in question. If the WU fails for all quorum members, it's most likely that the WU's at fault.

HTH,

Ron

Billy
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2007, 05:09 PM

Have my first result on a 54 credit WU with AR of 0.407. About 18% faster! This is on a CD iMac 1.83 ghz. Probably beginners luck, but I'm very happy.

Can't get any more results as SIMAP has completely taken over my computer for the last week. Every WU is "running, high priority".

adream
Oct 10, 2007, 06:33 PM

i too am getting:

SETI@home error -6 Bad workunit header
!swi.data_type || !found || !swi.nsamples
File: /Users/akan/seti/seti_boinc_tarball/mac_build/../client/seti_header.cpp
Line: 210

this is running core 2 duo v8 on an imac

my xeon 8-core is humming away quite nicely, no errors at all

regards

adream
63. (1) (b) "music" includes sounds wholly or predominantly characterised by the emission of a succession of repetitive beats

adream
Oct 10, 2007, 07:55 PM

looks like theres some bad workunits and thats giving the error -6 Bad workunit header errors

its not just on the optimised apps

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2007, 08:08 PM

There was a run of zero length work units distributed. Just let them process and they will then disappear from the que.

adream
Oct 10, 2007, 09:16 PM

slightly off topic, but my 8-core had its millionth birthday today

thanks to alex and his group of magicians :-)

zombie67
Senior User
Oct 10, 2007, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by adream View Post
slightly off topic, but my 8-core had its millionth birthday today

thanks to alex and his group of magicians :-)
w00t!

halimedia
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 11, 2007, 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by alexkan View Post
On a related note...Thanar, if you're out there, have you tried running this latest crop of apps? I'm curious if they solve the issue you were seeing with running apps at less than 100% CPU utilization.
I've been running v7 and v8 on a variety of different Intel Macs at 25 to 50 % CPU utilization - so far without problems.

/R.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 11, 2007, 05:06 PM

I'm so dumb. I walked away from this forum for a while not realizing v8 is out.

Stay tuned!

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2007, 12:31 PM

Running on v8.

From what I can tell, it looks like the G4 version is still reporting that it is 7.1mb.

Either that or both of the G4s' in house haven't thrown blocks yet.

G5 is working away on v8 no problem. Blocks returned say v8.

RAC is currently 738. Wow, how the mighty have fallen. We'll see
if this helps.

TiloProbst
Oct 12, 2007, 04:41 PM

Hi,

I want to get back into Seti@home after pausing a few months. I am on a C2D Intel Mac. How does the whole thing work currently?
Download v8 C2D workers from Alex -> done
Download BOINC from official website -> done
Fire it up -> next?
Let it download the official worker -> ?
Quit BOINC, install Alex worker -> ?

Thx!

EDIT:
Tried starting the BOINC software ... ARGH where is the CLI app?

OK did it .. Sorry why do we need this -insecure stuff? By the way, the shell script could not be executed, missing permissions etc.
OK I guess I got Alex worker installed. Say, the fans on my MBP are spinning like crazy, and that is with my room being relatively cool ... do I have to worry?
( Last edited by TiloProbst; Oct 12, 2007 at 05:11 PM. )

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 12, 2007, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by TiloProbst View Post
Hi,

...OK I guess I got Alex worker installed. Say, the fans on my MBP are spinning like crazy, and that is with my room being relatively cool ... do I have to worry?
My MBP is a CDuo and with SETI running, it normally runs at 99C to 101C. I have this little dual fan cooling thing made by Targus under it to help. I also installed SMCFanControl so I could kick the internal fans up another notch. I've been running it this way for about a year and a quarter, and haven't had a problem (yet).

Claude

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 08:36 PM

Regarding what version Seti reports it's using, I checked it out and if you leave 7.1 in the directory and have a WU that was using it it will finish with it. Now the Message center will not say that the program is using 8.0 becasue the app_info.xml says setiathome_enhanced 527. So if you see that it is iusing 8.0.

See:
<app_info>
<app>
<name>setiathome_enhanced</name>
</app>
<file_info>
<name>seti_enhanced-ppc-v8-g4-nographics</name>
<executable/>
</file_info>
<app_version>
<app_name>setiathome_enhanced</app_name>
<version_num>527</version_num>
<file_ref>
<file_name>seti_enhanced-ppc-v8-g4-nographics</file_name>
<main_program/>
</file_ref>
</app_version>
</app_info>

If you want it to sat 8.0 change that line in the app_info.xml.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Oct 12, 2007, 08:37 PM

Also, deleting 7.1 from the Project Directory when Boinc was not running forced 8.0 to take over WU in progress.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 16, 2007, 12:06 PM

All of my machines are reporting v8 now.

G5 RAC 792.22 up from 738
G4 1.25 is now rac 145
G4 400 is now rac 88.80

Non-Mac machines:
Linux 2.2 ghz Athlon is now rac 201
Recommissioned Windows Athlon 2800 is rac of 5.68!
Pentium M 1.7 ghz Windows machine has rac of 245.29

We'll see how this changes in the near future.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 22, 2007, 10:09 AM

Non x-86 v2.40 mb:
G5 DP 2.5 RAC 887.33 (increasing)
G4 1.24 RAC 165.08 (increasing)
G4 400 RAC 92.22 (increasing slowly)

X86 v2.40mb:
1.7 ghz Pentium M: 240.45 (eh, piffle)
2400xp Athlon PC OS Linux: 176.07 (dropped precipitously)
2800xp Athlon Windex : 85.32 (still ramping up)

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2007, 10:23 AM

Improvement still! Especially on the G5.

Non x86:
G5 2.5DP 923.90
G4 1.25 181.16
G4 400 89.15

x86:
Athlon 2400 xp Linux 187.21
Athlon 2800 xp 93.79
Pentium M 1.7 ghz 246.30

Thanar
Oct 25, 2007, 07:03 AM

I will try v8 on my G4s and see if the problem I was having recently regarding the restart of work units when the processor usage % was set lower than 100% persists. This was the only reason I downgraded to the stock worker, I hope it is solved, now that Alex has used later CVS client code... Will let you know as soon as I have my first result (if it completes, that is) uploaded.

Thanar
Oct 25, 2007, 10:42 AM

I had forgotted how much faster Alex' builds really are! Blazing fast compared to the stock workers... Congratulations on your great optimizations, Alex!

Regarding the issue I've been facing for quite some time now using Alex' builds, it seems like it is going to complete the WU currently under process. It's over 30% right now, with the CPU usage % set to 80% and no restart yet... Keeping fingers crossed.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 04:42 PM

Thinking.

I realized that my clients are set to run as "nice" - is there a way to easily
change them to run "not so nice" (you get the idea)?

Thanar
Oct 26, 2007, 03:30 AM

The seti client process is set as "nice" by the BOINC manager since the beggining of the project, which I believe is good, since the idea is that somebody uses seti@home as a screensaver (well, sometimes...).

There was a beta version of the BOINC manager (fairly recently) that did not set its clients as "nice" processes, but I can't remember which one, since I happen to dispise non-nice processes.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 11:36 AM

Thanks Thanar, I didn't know if there would be any benefit to running them not as
nicely. BTW, latest performance on the G5 is RAC 968.57 starting from RAC 738.

I'll report back if I break 1000 again.

BTBlomberg
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2007, 05:28 PM

Todd, on the PC side I know Truxoft has set up Boinc for this. BOINC @ truXoft
I tried ti a year ago and running it a 3 was normal, 4 made the desktop slower adn 5 made the desktop nearly unusable as Boinc had top priority.

process_priority is what it's under on the attached page. I think he had it in the SETI client before though.

Thanar
Oct 28, 2007, 05:35 PM

Todd, try the renice command in Terminal

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2007, 03:38 PM

I may do this for when I'm not around.

I did install Leopard and found that Xbench said my machine scored 312.31 with
Tiger and 334.77 with Leopard. Encouraging.

I NEARLY hit 1000 RAC with the box yesterday, it got to 998.67 or so - I'm hoping
I can hit 1000 if I shut some unecessary things off although it could just have been
a good run of work units and I was using my machine pretty heavily last night on
other things.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 29, 2007, 08:44 PM

My iMac is hovering around 1700 right now, but my pending is going up and up as well.

beadman
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 30, 2007, 10:55 AM

Something weird happened last night. I'm running BOINC 5.10.20 and Alex's latest v8 on my MBP Core Duo. I checked Activity Monitor because the computer seemed sluggish and discovered BOINC Manager was using it's normal small amount of CPU, SETI wasn't running at all, BOINC was taking around 60% of one CPU and Kernal Task was taking around the same amount of the other CPU. I rebooted, and within a few seconds of SETI starting up, same thing happened. Reinstalled BOINC, same thing happened. Downloaded a new copy of v8, reinstalled it and BOINC, and now it seems to be working ok.
<edit> here's part of the crash log - Alex, if you need more, please let me know
Command: boinc
Path: /Applications/BOINCManager.app/Contents/Resources/boinc
Parent: BOINCManager [384]

Version: BOINC version 5.10.20 (5.10.20)

PID: 386
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x28656376

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x900065ed szone_free + 3671
</edit>
beadman
( Last edited by beadman; Oct 30, 2007 at 11:02 AM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Oct 31, 2007, 10:04 PM

YES! Tonight my G5 2.5 dual hit 1,000.28 rac with Alex's v8 PPC client!

Computer summary

Update 11/1 at 1:20 p.m. local time. We're at 1031 rac with it. I'll post if it gets significantly beyond this.

Hit 1038 before I hit a raft of very long WUs - see post below.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Nov 3, 2007 at 03:54 PM. )

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2007, 03:43 PM

Ugh:

Folks -
http://pod.ath.cx/geez.jpg

All of a sudden I have a bunch of workunits with an estimated time of completion in the
twenty hour range. Abort?

I did this, now all of the work units coming in are in the 24 hour range. I can't babysit
this thing all day so I'll just let those two run.
( Last edited by Todd Madson; Nov 3, 2007 at 03:53 PM. )

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 3, 2007, 08:16 PM

No units like that on my end, mine are all running around 1.5 to 1.75 hours.

RAC is close to 1800 on the iMac.

Gecko_r7
Forum Regular
Nov 3, 2007, 08:24 PM

Hi Gents,

Just passing on a recent experience as a few of you w/ iMactels w/ C2D may find this interesting.
Our iMac T7200 is the main family -puter. The wife loves to take highres pics and w/ an 18-mo old, let me tell you, she takes a BUNCH She frequently edits w/ iPhoto etc.
The iMac came w/ 1GB and which would give her the spinning beach ball when she had too many pics open or was working w/ larger images etc. No lock-ups, just slow. I decided to bump memory to 2GB since it's pretty cheap right now and after a little digging, found I could get new G.Skill 2x1GB DDR2-667 modules @ new CL 4-4-4-12 timing.
Hot dang, right? Wife is happy and I can get a little lower latency vs. the original CL5-5-5-15 2x512 modules.....WIN-WIN!

Well, wife is happy anyway. As for actual difference w/ crunching time w/ this lower latency RAM w/ the 945 chipset in iMac....No difference. WUs times before and after are identical on same AR WUs.
The modules populate both slots & are identical dual-channel set. xbench shows correct RAM installation.

Oh well.

Cheers!

Forum Links
Forum Rules