Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to switch from zsh (terminal issue)

How to switch from zsh (terminal issue)
JoNoiD
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2001, 08:07 PM

ok all of a sudden when i try and ping i get:
localhost% ping
zsh: command not found: ping

the command prompt does not look the same as it used to. how did it change itself and how do i fix this?

thanx,

fitter
Senior User
Dec 17, 2001, 08:43 PM

You may very well have a problem with tcsh. Open the Terminal prefs and check to make sure you've selected "Use this shell", and that tcsh is the shell designated. Now open a new terminal window. Type 'ls -l /bin | grep sh'. If tcsh has zero size, and is owned by you rather than by root, tcsh has been destroyed. There are numerous threads on this issue, which most often manifests itself as new windows in Terminal dying with the message "[Process completed]". I recommend reinstalling if you do discover that tcsh has been zeroed. It won't harm anything, and the installer will only install over the things that need repair.

If this isn't the issue, there are a pair of things you can do. First, you can change the Terminal pref of "Use this shell" to /bin/tcsh. Second, if that doesn't solve it, you can open NetInfo and manually change your user's shell to /bin/tcsh. This second option should be approached with caution, as you can do severe damage to your system with NetInfo if you don't know your way around it.

Good luck.

Scrod
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2001, 09:37 PM

You should also check to make sure that you actually have tcsh on your computer; list the contents of /bin and see if tcsh isn't zero bytes in size. You might have file system corruption.

Edit: oops, fitter already said that

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Scrod ]
I abused my signature until she cried.

Forum Links
Forum Rules